Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TLTGF said:
Probably is... It was $12, so I grabbed it! Lol - total impulse.

12$? Maybe not then. But you never know. Lol. How big? I have an 8 inch war coral that was 320$.

It's like 1.5-2" frag. It's orange and green mixed. I typed in war coral and it looks exactly like it. I got it cheap because they had a buy two get one free so I paid $50 for three frags, so I just say $25 for one and 12.50 for other two.

Did my pwc today for all the tanks - running a couple days behind... Anyway, I think I accidentally sold myself on LED's for the biocube. When the lid was off I decided, just to see, to put the 4-bulb t5's over the cube, and MAN! What a difference! The zoos popped so nice, the ricordia lit up, trumpet and gap were glowing and the whole tank just looked awesome...

Soooo, I guess it'll be sooner than later when I get the LED's.

TLTGF said:
Did my pwc today for all the tanks - running a couple days behind... Anyway, I think I accidentally sold myself on LED's for the biocube. When the lid was off I decided, just to see, to put the 4-bulb t5's over the cube, and MAN! What a difference! The zoos popped so nice, the ricordia lit up, trumpet and gap were glowing and the whole tank just looked awesome...

Soooo, I guess it'll be sooner than later when I get the LED's.

Haha thats so cool! Goodluck with that, sounds like the right direction for sure

Thanks - ill most likely be doing the dimmable retrofit for the BC29 from RapidLED - my LED combo will be (10) royal blue, (4) blue, (7) cool white, (3) natural white.

Also using an RKL to control them.

Got a new addition in the tank today...

image-3524917426.jpg

Yup - you guessed it... Cyanobacteria! At first I thought it was spots of coralline on the rocks, but after I came home from vacation this weekend, I quickly realized it was not...

Doing a PWC in the morning so I'll try to remove what I can. I've got cyano, hair, brown, and green algae growing not to mention the chaeto and red macros, which I might add are growing fast and looking great.

I'm just an algae factory with a Wartskin on the side.

I've been batteling some myself. Unfortunately- with low flow it's a risk I guess. I don't know how people with seahorse tanks can handle this. Lol.

Jlsardina said:
I've been batteling some myself. Unfortunately- with low flow it's a risk I guess. I don't know how people with seahorse tanks can handle this. Lol.

That's exactly it too. I put in the tunze nano PH at 425gph, and the whole tank got upset, not to mention the angler had to bed down in a bunker. I tried every possible angle too.

So now I just have my return glow and still the angler struggles to swim around. He looks like a rock climber most of the time, clawing up the rocks.

TLTGF said:
That's exactly it too. I put in the tunze nano PH at 425gph, and the whole tank got upset, not to mention the angler had to bed down in a bunker. I tried every possible angle too.

So now I just have my return glow and still the angler struggles to swim around. He looks like a rock climber most of the time, clawing up the rocks.

I do have one very low flow pump in my tank right now as a make shift power head. I turn it off at night as that is when my guy seems to be the most active. He swims around more. I've been trying to slowly adjust it so that it on more and more at night so he comes out during the day instead. Even still though I am wiping the glass every other day. My guy likes to hand out on the roof of the caves I have made so I really have to look for him as he is a master of disguise. My hermits help some. But I am afraid this will be a battle that lasts forever. Lol. I do plan on adding more macro to see if that helps. My only other option might be more frequent water changes. Maybe a gallon every other day?

Pics:

FTS

image-4255077464.jpg

cyano patch

image-1089675927.jpg

pink zoos

image-3614667714.jpg

Green zoos

image-1394948339.jpg

Pulsing Xenia

image-1290672446.jpg

GSP / Red Macro

image-2671863125.jpg

Toadstool / another Macro / Coco worm

image-4125610709.jpg

Wartskin behind a different type of macro

image-3255087482.jpg

Wartskin in open

image-514840733.jpg

Not much to update. Just brought a new addition home. Have to be creative with an angler.

Attachments

• image-3449272864.jpg
    image-3449272864.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 184
Tim long time no post was just wondering if on this tank if you r running the biocube skimmer or what u r doing.... And how is both the tanks doing

Been extra busy lately. The little guy is now about 2". He was 7/8" when I got him. He eats lots of ghost shrimp and damsels. Still have the Chromis... Can't get him convinced on frozen food yet.

I am not running a skimmer on this tank. Though since I've added a few damsels for color and meals, I have stepped up my PWC's to 8 gal / week. Though it wasn't necessary.

I recently, last week, upgraded the lights to RapidLed's retrofit. The lights are great, but it didn't help as much with the heat as I'd hoped. My tank runs, with no powerhead at 90.1 - 91 degrees. So far no losses because of it, oh well, maybe the urchin - only made it two weeks... Ate like a pig though.

With the LED's I'm down to 85... Far from good, but I swear everything is growing like mad, especially the macro algae in the display.

I so do not want to buy a chiller, but alas, I have run out of options I think.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• image-1909804965.jpg
    image-1909804965.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2936496266.jpg
    image-2936496266.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 121
Beautiful!! Cant believe how far it has come. Wow thanks for getting on and posting!!!

Ouch..85! Have you got fans goin? Rodi ice cubes? Maybe put topoff water in the fridge?

I would buy the chiller...just keep lookin for the right deal! I got mine for $160 and it has been my best purchase ever.

Back
Top Bottom