Totally new and making mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachelstylist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've created a monster!! It's a long story but I have 2 newly acquired tanks and I'm worried about some decisions I made.
I don't know that I was very well informed on compatibility and stocking perameters.
I have a crazy aggressive gold gourami that suddenly began reeking havoc on my 20 gallon. One fish died and two aren't doing so well. In a moment of panic, I tossed him into my 55 gallon that was still cycling new fish additions. I'm worried that I have jeopardized all the fish in that tank and I'm pretty sure it is cluster of non compatible fish.
All juvenile cichlids
2 blood parrots
2 convicts
2 Nicaragua
2 salvini
1 Spotted Rafael catfish
And 2 dwarf Gouramis
Up until I tossed the gold gourami in there, everyone was getting along great so far. Since he's been in there, he (yes it is a boy) is doing his best to terrorize everyone in the tank. Some are fighting back a bit but some are just running and hiding. I'm not sure how to handle this whole situation........

Although they are all still small you have a quite few fish with high aggression levels that will increase as they grow and start establishing territories in the tank. Especially the gold gouramis, the Nicaragua, and convicts. And even though convicts stay relatively small even when they mature, they can be monsters. I have read stories where a pair of breeding convicts tore up a full grown Oscar. IMHO it would be best to rehome the gouramis and maybe some of your other stock. When dealing with cichlids research will be your best friend (aside from us lol)
Best of luck, happy fishkeeping. Oh and of course as always
~*Welcome to AA*~

Back
Top Bottom