Toying with idea of Cichlid tank -- advice, help appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, all of the links took me to Salve Regina University E-mail application sign in lol. Did you copy and paste them from your e-mail?

Whoa! Lots of goodies there :)

I really like the layered rock at that pet place and the rock background. I think with a nice piece of driftwood, then one or two of the decorations you listed in the links it will look really cool, oh and with the rock Bkg too.

There's lots of nice decorations there. You have a tough decision!

Well now I'm not sure what the heck to do..... :facepalm:

I've been talking to people and doing some research and it seems that a mating pair of Cichlids in my community tank could be big trouble for my fish, particularly the Corys. Some say it's fine, some say they could be chased but nothing else, some say they could be severely damaged. I just don't want to risk it. I do want some larger fish in the tank and I'd love to watch breeding behaviors of something (since my community fish aren't producing any eggs lol) but the safety of my current fish is most important.

So..... Now I'm thinking of still getting the 40 BR but just adding a GBR or Bolivian Ram and maybe one Apisto (if they can be kept singly) or some other Dwarf that would go with the Ram and be ok in a community tank. I'm guessing I would need one female of each rather than mixing genders or getting two males, right?

And if I don't have a breeding pair I probably don't need Cichlid stones per se although I still will create caves and such for them.

I'm also thinking of trying a 10 gal Shellie tank, that way I can have a pair of something without risking my community tank (although where I'd even begin to find Shell Cichlids I have no idea). The only drawback is that this will be my 3rd tank and if I have a 40 BR, a 5 gal Betta and a 10 gal Shellie, that's the 55 gals of weight on the floor that I was originally worried about lol. Granted it will be more spread out throughout the same area and not concentrated on one floor space.

So I'm not 100% sure what I want to do at this point. I did want to go during lunch today and get a tank and stand. My current fish do need an upgrade as a 29 gal is getting a bit cramped for as many groups as I have, so I'll still get the 40 for them. Do I or don't I start a Shellie tank, too, that's the question. I guess I could set the 40 BR up first and then decide whether to go with Shellie tank to. Unfortunately when I get an idea though I tend to want to move full steam ahead and get it done rather than waiting. lol.

So yeah, still pondering all of this......

I think a ram ram and a single apisto are fine. they do not need to be kept in pairs.

Shellies are super cool! I have never seen them before, only documentaries on tv lol. It sounds like a good idea, but I'd wait a little while until you get the 40 set up and stuff. I would take it slow, and dont rush into anything you'll regret later :)

Back
Top Bottom