Transported baby mollies in a new tank... staying at the bottom HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RO water can cause more problems than its worth. Stick to the tap water and dose prime. Once the tank is cycled the small amount of ammonia in the tap water will be converted before the prime wears off. Nothing to worry about.

Am I making the water worse by changing the water with my tap?

Okay. I hope they sell prime around here.

CMN said:
I'm sorry can you explain what prime is again ? It's a water conditioner that does what again? Sorry

Seachem prime is a dechlorinator. IMO the best. It neutralizes chlorine and chloramine, converts ammonia to a less toxic form for a day or two and binds heavy metals. Its also concentrated so a little goes a long way.

Will it will help the ammonia in my tap water?

So what is does it converts the harmful ammonia to a less harmful ammonia for 24-48 hours. After that time you have done another water change and replaced the prime and introduced fresh water or in a cycled tank the bacteria have consumed it by then.

Once you get a bottle of prime you will never want to use any other water conditioner. It is great. Go ahead and get the big bottle if you can, it will last you forever. You only need 2 drops per gallon!

Do you think I can tell the sex of the mollies at 5 weeks?

CMN said:
Do you think I can tell the sex of the mollies at 5 weeks?

I've never kept mollies personally, but with livebearers you can tell easily. Watch the anal fins on your fry. The males will develop a gonopodium, their anal fin will be kind of rolled up and pointy while the females will have theirs fanned out. I've heard of mollies reproducing at a couple months old, so if you keep a close watch you should be able to tell fairly soon.

Ya checked but they haven't developed yet.

Here is another question does fish sleep because when I leave my room and shut the light off and the come back in the room they are all laying on the ground I'll turn on their light to check them and then they get up and start to move?

CMN said:
Here is another question does fish sleep because when I leave my room and shut the light off and the come back in the room they are all laying on the ground I'll turn on their light to check them and then they get up and start to move?

Yes they do. That is perfectly normal. Most fish will bed down in the substrate or some plants at night to sleep. My puffers seem to circle around like dogs getting their sand just right sometimes. It's adorable!

Ya most of the babies sleep down in the gravel. They scare me though bc I think there is something wrong but then they start moving lol.

They only sleep though when the light is off though.

I have been thinking and I realize I'm confused how by changing water with .25 ammonia is helping anything. I understand if my ammonia level is .50 and having .25 will lower the .50 but what happens when it gets down to .25 then my water changes won't be doing anything right?

Back
Top Bottom