Transported baby mollies in a new tank... staying at the bottom HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a feeling the smell has something to do with your bacteria bloom. The water changes will help a lot and once the water gets clear and stays that way there shouldn't be much of a smell. Just hope the smell is from the tank and not just the way the dorm room smells, lol! I've had some rough dorms in the past. Although you're lucky being able to keep a 10 gal, I was limited to one gallon! I cheated a little with a 1.5 gallon, haha.

Lol I'm positive that it is coming from the tank I have to have a clean room lol so I think that's why it his bothering me. The water is still cloudy. Today I did do a 50% water change already and will do it in a few mins again. Just feed the babies so I'm giving them time to eat and relax.

The thing that scares me is when I moved them into my new tank in my dorm they eating did slow up and there pooping so I got really worried today is the first day that they actually are eating not as they did back at home but a decent amount. My question is: is that normal for fish to not eat for a day or at least not regularly when they are being moved? I'm a newbie at this and of coarse what started out as a starter fish has been an adventure in its self when Xmas day came around. So this whole experience has forced me to learn about fish in a short period of time which is overwhelming! But hopefully I will get through it. Thankfully I have AA!

CMN said:
Lol I'm positive that it is coming from the tank I have to have a clean room lol so I think that's why it his bothering me. The water is still cloudy. Today I did do a 50% water change already and will do it in a few mins again. Just feed the babies so I'm giving them time to eat and relax.

Good. My last dorm room was covered in mold! But I had an apartment by that semester so I was never in there thankfully. And doing the pwc shortly after feeding is a good idea, you can remove all the uneaten food before it can foul the water.

Ya I give them 30 mins to eat and digest and then change the water!

How long does it take to cycle ur tank?

And it isn't too unusual for fish to stop eating when they are stressed with a move or something like that. Being in a cycling tank is stressful also, so I'm sure that contributed to their lack of appetite. As long as they are eating now, you shouldn't worry too much.

They are eating now and I'm going to do another water change the smell is getting to me again.

My water is 80- 82 degrees is that okay for the babies?

Ik I'm asking 1000 of questions but is there a reason my tank ammonia level won't go down even with water changes. Or does it take a while? I feel like it keeps going up.

CMN said:
Ik I'm asking 1000 of questions but is there a reason my tank ammonia level won't go down even with water changes. Or does it take a while? I feel like it keeps going up.

The fish give off ammonia so it keeps building because there are no bacteria to consume it. Have you also checked your water source for ammonia?

CMN said:

Your ammonia will go up until you get a good colony of bacteria in your filter. As your fish produce waste, and mollies are big waste producers, ammonia goes up. For now you bring it down with water changes. Once your bacteria grows it will convert the ammonia to nitrite. Then bacteria will grow that will turn that into nitrate, which is removed in pwc's. I'm sure you know this already. You may want to test the tap water you are using for ammonia. If it has some, prime will definitely help you out. How far away from home are you? Next time you go home you could take some of the filter media from one of your established tanks to seed the filter on this one to speed up your cycle. And keep asking 1000's of questions! The more you ask the more you learn, and there are no stupid questions! I'm happy to help you out.

I'm 30 mins away from home. But u just tested my ammonia level and it's .25- .50 closer to . 50. It keeps getting darker should I change it in a hour again 50% water change. There acting fine the babies.

CMN said:
I'm 30 mins away from home. But u just tested my ammonia level and it's .25- .50 closer to . 50. It keeps getting darker should I change it in a hour again 50% water change. There acting fine the babies.

Have you tested the tap? Also, do you have a Walmart or grocery store nearby that sells RO water? Some places have little machines where you can fill up gallon jugs of drinking water, and they use a RO filter. It is usually fairly cheap. You can use some of that for water changes if you find ou there is ammonia in your tap water.

Tested the water at school it tested .25 I'm going to cry.

I have never herd of or before. I can get a store if I have too. I'm so confused you test tap water just like u test the tank right? Bc that's what I did.

I'm sorry can you explain what prime is again ? It's a water conditioner that does what again? Sorry

Back
Top Bottom