Transported baby mollies in a new tank... staying at the bottom HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now will the prime condition bring the ammonia level down to zero. I'm just confused how can I make the tank healthy when my water has that amount of ammonia in it ?

Do I have to buy a mix at the store to lower or neutralize my tap water?

CMN said:
Now will the prime condition bring the ammonia level down to zero. I'm just confused how can I make the tank healthy when my water has that amount of ammonia in it ?

Prime temporarily converts it to a different type of ammonia that is less toxic to your fish. By the time it wears off the bacteria will have eaten the ammonia and turned it to nitrite then nitrate. If the tank is not cycled, like yours, it temporarily coverts it which keeps your fish safe until you add more prime and do a water change. The ammonia the prime converts is still picked up with your test kit because it reads the total amount of ammonia (both kinds).

Oh okay I get it now. Im sorry I'm new at all this :(

Thank you for your help. I posted another thread asking what fish could go in a 1 gallon tank? Ik a tetra could but is there any other fish that would survive?

I went to petco and I bought the prim!!! I also bought some brine shrimp which they went nuts over! Should I give them that every time they eat or mix it up with first bites, flakes and then brine shrimp?

Question: this morning I woke up to do a PWC and I noticed that there was white I think calcium above the water on my lid of the tank and on the side. Is that a good or bad sign? I also was wondering I have already used prime twice and my levels are still high I have the ammonia safe by tetra medicine that is suppose to lower ammonia in the water. It's a tablet. Would it be a good idea to use that since I feel like what I'm doing is not working? My ammonia test after using prime is .50. I don't know what I'm doing wrong nothing is improving. :(
Update: I used a half a tablet to see how the babies would react, I didn't know what else to do.

Any uneaten brine shrimp would decompose into ammonia, so that may be the source of your raised ammonia. You may want to take your water to your LFS to be tested (if they use liquid test kits) just to be sure your test is working correctly. Or try testing some bottled water. If you get a reading other than zero you will know your test kit is off. As for the ammonia reducer tablets, I've never used them but I suppose it's worth a try.

I respectfully disagree. You should never use a tablet or potion to remove ammonia, that's the fishkeepers job by doing thorough and consistent water changes.

Don't use the ammonia reducer tablets. No need. As said there could have been decomposing food adding to the problem. As I said the prime only converts the ammonia so it is still picked up by your test kit. .5ppm is the total amount of ammonia (toxic and less toxic). Keep up the water changes. If possible can you take 2-3 mollies home to your established tank? That will make this easier for you and safer for your fish (ammonia not building as fast).

Actually I used 1 tablet and did water changes and it lowered it to close to 0. So I'm happy about that. I didn't have a problem with the tabled yet? Why is using the tablets bad if it lowers the ammonia? Also i live half hour a way from home with no car at school. I have 4 types of food I can feed them does anyone know which would create less ammonia I have the flakes from tetra, first bites, I have these pellet flakes also by tetra and brine shrimp?

I did a PWC should I check my levels?

On my testing kit it says to use API stress zyme if ammonia level is high what does that mean? Is that like another prime ?

Mumma.of.two said:
It could starve the bacteria you are trying to grow.

I bought prime last night unfortunately it came with no measuring cap! That's just my luck. So I have been trying to give the 1/5th of the cape full, since it said the cape of 5 ml is for a 50 gallon tank. My levels right now for ammonia is .25 ph is 7.6 or higher I wouldn't know since i don't have the higher chart but i know mollies like higher ph levels anyways.

CMN said:
On my testing kit it says to use API stress zyme if ammonia level is high what does that mean? Is that like another prime ?

Disregard what it says in the booklet. They are just trying to sell you more of their products. All you need is clean water and a dechlorinator. Nothing else.

CMN said:
I bought prime last night unfortunately it came with no measuring cap! That's just my luck. So I have been trying to give the 1/5th of the cape full, since it said the cape of 5 ml is for a 50 gallon tank. My levels right now for ammonia is .25 ph is 7.6 or higher I wouldn't know since i don't have the higher chart but i know mollies like higher ph levels anyways.

I use a baby medicine dropper to dose prime. I have many small tanks and messing with the cap is just frustrating! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom