Tropical stocking, continuous update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
DGs are super sensitive when it comes to water quality (at least some species IME) so if the nitrItes are high I would be doing some PWC to keep it at bay.

Ok, thts what I've read, but it's nitrAtes! Not nitrites! But I guess it's just the same when u get down to it.
And I'm performing the PWC right now, so wen I replace the water, do I add stress coat and stress zyme?

I don't have prime, all I have is zyme and coat, hhaa which one would prime replace, and can u answer my previous question please?

bruinsbro1997 said:
DGs are super sensitive when it comes to water quality (at least some species IME) so if the nitrItes are high I would be doing some PWC to keep it at bay.

Puffymcstuff said:
Ok, thts what I've read, but it's nitrAtes! Not nitrites! But I guess it's just the same when u get down to it.
And I'm performing the PWC right now, so wen I replace the water, do I add stress coat and stress zyme?

Haha!! Sorry for this random post! Just testing the multiqoute feature!! It's kinda cool!! :)

Ok, just finished, and I put the zyme and coat in, so we will see, I'm gonna get more fish tomorrow! So excited!!

Nitrates are down to 60 (from 250), and today I'm adding two powder blue gouramis and three rummynose! :) I'm so excited, but worried that the gouramis will die again! :(, I'll keep you posted.

Added them four hours ago, and fed them, everyone ate well and was swimming, but each of three times I've checked on them, the gouramis were somewhere different. Once, one was upside down on the bottom and the other was by the heater. Again, and they were both by the heaters, but other than tht, they are showing very healthy signs.

Everyone is swimming and doing great, water parameters are wonderful! I special ordered my marbled hatchets and coral platies!! Soo excited!

Nitrates are down to 60 (from 250), and today I'm adding two powder blue gouramis and three rummynose! :) I'm so excited, but worried that the gouramis will die again! :(, I'll keep you posted.
If it were my tank, I would do another big water change and keep NitrAtes under 40 at a minimum.

Ok! Anyone else?
Btw, one gourami is acting normal and nice, while the other just hides most of the time, I keep my light off all day, and also, he has some dark spots (like three) on his upper left side, I'm thinking that he, being a gourami, just ran into something, but his fins are down a lot of the time. Suggestions?

Performing a PWC, cuz on eighths gouramis is acting weird, I take that as: the nitrates are high. Hahaha, they're like a living meter for bacteria... After I replace the water, I'll dose with stress zyme and coat, and hope for the best, usually when a gourami starts in the downward, Rey don't come back... Wish me luck!! ;)

The one gourami bloated and died after turning a darker seafoam green. Also, one side turned a rusty orange. Help me! Other gourami doing good. Getting fish on Friday. Help!

Just got 5 new fish everyone!! I got three platys: a male, a female, and a prego female! :D and I got two angelfish!! I'm soo excited!!

When should I do my next water change? And when am I allowed to change my filter? Hahaha! It looks so good!!

This brings my stock to:
1 common pleco
5 corys
10 neons
5 BSTs
5 bloodfin
5 hy511
1 DG
2 angels
3 platys

My tank is a 60 gallons hexagon!!

Tips or suggestions!?
I'm most likely going to get 3-5 marbled hatchets!!

I think you should finish it off with just five marbled hatchets and that's it. Remember to keep up on your water changes!

How big is the common pleco...btw...just curious :)

Idk, it's hard to get a good measurement on him, but I'd guess between eight and nine inches... He has always (since babyhood) hidden inside the same cave, it's so cute!

Btw, thanks!

And you don't think it'll be overstocked?!

Gouramis are particularly sensitive to NitrAtes, so unless you get your NitrAtes under control (lower than 40ppm) - your gouramis will likely continue to die.

The biggest reason we do PWC (partial water change) is to remove Nitrates from the aquarium because there is nothing (in an unplanted tank) that will remove nitrates so we have to do it by hand.

Just got 5 new fish everyone!! I got three platys: a male, a female, and a prego female! :D and I got two angelfish!! I'm soo excited!!

When should I do my next water change? And when am I allowed to change my filter? Hahaha! It looks so good!!

This brings my stock to:
1 common pleco
5 corys
10 neons
5 BSTs
5 bloodfin
5 hy511
1 DG
2 angels
3 platys

My tank is a 60 gallons hexagon!!

Tips or suggestions!?
I'm most likely going to get 3-5 marbled hatchets!!
Personally, i do not change my filters until they are falling apart. You can take out the filter cartridge and rinse it in tank watre though. The chlorine/chloramines ect. in untreated tap water will kill your BB, so be sure to use tank water. Just swish the cartridge around in there to get some of the goop off and throw it back into the filter.
Another thing you can do, is to put a second filter cartridge into the filter so it will get BB growing on it too. Then, you can later remove the first cartridge and have the second one all seeded and ready to go.

Ok! So here's what I'm planning on doing...

Change the water tomorrow: 25%
Check the parameters the next day...

And I had a thought... What if I took a piece of my cruddy filter cartridge and put it inside the new one, would that help, and even so, wen (be extremely specific) should change the filter?

Also, my prego platy has lost her dark belly spot and fatness since this morning, but there are no signs of spawn... I also have no clue what to look for as far as the fry goes... And I think it's more than likely that the gourami ate them... Hahaha! If someone can post a link to an article on this topic, or even if you are knowledgable on this... Please help. :) :) any help is GREATLY appreciated as always!! ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom