types of cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want to look into getting a bottom feeder as some sort of catfish to go with them. synodontis catfish is the type that live with Cichlids and have a very good relationship with bumble bees. With me I just got some Pictus cats because around here the other type of cat is very pricey and I wasn't going to pay $60+ for it.

Another fish all lfs carry are red zebra mine are very calm and never mess around with others. They are also easy to care for and usually pretty cheap

A lot of stores here carry the Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) as mentioned above. I don't know a lot about the fish because I don't keep it other then it doesn't get all that big like 4" or so and is listed as a mild aggressive so it should be fine with the yellow labs and zebras. But ya never know till you try it if they will get along or not

Off topic posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic and only post relevant information. There is a chat room for chit-chat. More off topic or chit-chat posts will result in this thread being closed.

Another note, there is an edit button on your posts. If you forget info, please use the edit button instead of posting back to back.

You should be able to add it to that mix based on max size, temperament, and diet.. You can look up the profile for Metriaclima callainos (Ice White Cobalt Zebra) in the link I provided previously.

If I get a group of zebras and labs could I stock the snow white? (the fish I previously posted about)

Don't forget the Pleco LOL....inside joke all....

I have 3 labs a Red Zebra, Peacock and Frontosa.

There is a little aggression but for the most part they are fighting for caves (Territory) nothing more than some high speed chases. I would suggest 5 Labs, 3 Red Zebras and maybe 3 Acei and you'll be fine.

I would not suggest the Frontosa (they get huge and I already have a 75 gallon for him in storage but he is small now ) My Peacock is pretty chill I was lucky.

I think it was a couple of Weeks ago but someone had recommended the peacocks to me so I'm very interested in them as well I think the yellow labs are a definite yes, they are easy to get and not as expensive so I can start my stock with them and go from there.

I think it was a couple of Weeks ago but someone had recommended the peacocks to me so I'm very interested in them as well I think the yellow labs are a definite yes, they are easy to get and not as expensive so I can start my stock with them and go from there.

I would start with one peacock and then Labs and add from there.

That is how I started my Lake Cichlid African tank....

Plenty of Fake Plants, and Rock so they can form caves. Plus whatever you do get some egg crate. (it is lighting grate) for Florescent light fixtures at any home depot for 12 bucks. You put it in at the bottom of the Tank before and gravel or sand and protects the glass from the Rock since your Labs and Especially the Peacock will dig big time.

Pton46 said:
I would start with one peacock and then Labs and add from there.

That is how I started my Lake Cichlid African tank....

Plenty of Fake Plants, and Rock so they can form caves. Plus whatever you do get some egg crate. (it is lighting grate) for Florescent light fixtures at any home depot for 12 bucks. You put it in at the bottom of the Tank before and gravel or sand and protects the glass from the Rock since your Labs and Especially the Peacock will dig big time.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll pm you about the egg crate

butterfly_koi said:

Be warned that some very reputable posters here advise against mixing Peacocks with Mbuna. Opinions vary, however.

butterfly_koi said:
Ok so maybe I'll just start out with the labs

I know you're getting hit from all sides with varying opinions. Take it all in, then go with what seems right. Just be prepared to trade out some if they don't work out.

I know you're getting hit from all sides with varying opinions. Take it all in, then go with what seems right. Just be prepared to trade out some if they don't work out.

I got Lucky I guess on that advice but I would not put anymore than one (Peacock).

My Tank is now complete picked up 2 Acei tonight.

Been in for 3 Hours no issues...

BTW, I would recommend a fishless cycle for a few weeks to get the beneficial bacteria to colonize in your filter media and to get your water parameters balanced. Don't do the old-school method of cycling a tank with a few hardy inhabitants. Some or all of these fish will likely die or sustain permanent damage.

Here's a nice article on fishless cycling that is not overly complicated http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycle.php. Check it out. Something to add... don't change the filter media until it's incurably clogged or falling apart. Just rinse it/them in a bucket of tank water (not tap water). Nasty filters are filled with good bacteria.

Needless to say, a good quality freshwater test kit is highly recommended, especially for cycling a new tank. Folks here recommend the API Freshwater Masters Test Kit.

Another suggestion (this is a long thread so forgive me if this had already been posted). I really recommend NLS Cichlid fish food. I switched from a Cichlid-specific flake food to NLS Cichlid and it has made a big difference in the coloration of the fish, and the clarity of the water. These semi-floating pellets don't disintegrate into the water and cloud it up like flake food does. It has a lower amount of protein as well. One of the debates among the smart people in this hobby is whether too much protein causes Malawi Bloat (one of the top killers of Malawi Cichlids), or whether it is simple overfeeding that causes Bloat. Just a pinch a day of NLS (enough for them to finish in 30 seconds) covers both potential causes. I have not lost any to bloat since I switched to NLS Cichlid. Folks say Omega One is also good. I have not tried it myself. Some buy bulk containers to save money, but I prefer to buy the smallest container option to keep my food supply fresh and dry. It lasts a long time if done correctly.

Back
Top Bottom