Unexplained Sick Ropefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikolo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have had a happy and healthy ropefsh named Clyde for about a week, so I decided he could use a friend. When I added the second ropefish, named Bonnie, they were doing great together- swimming around, eating, sleeping in the same hideouts. However, the next morning when I went to check on Bonnie and Clyde, Bonnie seemed to have very cloudy eyes (bluish/white) and was twisting around madly, no matter if she was swimming or just laying on the bottom. I also noticed she seemed to have trouble breathing. I called the petstore for advice and they told me to bring her in with a water sample. They tested my water for me and told me the water was perfect, so the fish might just have had a disease.
I was very disappointed after this because Clyde seemed to really like Bonnie, so I though I'd wait a week to monitor Clyde before I added anything else to the tank. (Just to point out, I only have the ropefish in the tank for now in order to see how well they do before I add other fishies). After a few days of watching Clyde, he showed no changes in behavior, looked healthy, and was happily swimming around and eating. So, I decided to try again and added Bonnie #2 to the tank, which I purchased from a different store. The first day went swimmingly- they were swimming around each other and seemed to be doing great..... and then the next morning I went to check on them and noticed that Bonnie #2 was twisting around while swimming!!! I was so shocked because she seemed so healthy and the water in the tank checked out, so I have no idea what could be the problem. Bonnie #2 doesn't have clouded eyes or trouble breathing, but just twisting while swimming. Someone told me it could be shock and to add salt to the water... others told me to just bring her back but I want to at least try and make Bonnie #2 better before give up on her. This is all just so strange to me because Clyde is as healthy as can be, but the 2 new ropefish both had the same symptoms.
Any advice on what could be wrong and what to do is very appreciated. Thank you!

Could you let us know what the set up and parameters are?

See the sticky if you’re not sure what information we need; but we always have to start there when fish act off!

Hi thank you for responding.
So the tank is 30 gallons and has a filter for tanks up to 50 gallons and a 100 watt heater. I placed two hideouts for the ropefish, then added another because they seemed to like swimming through them. I also have 2 medium-sized freshwater plants and some larger fake plants for them to swim around, but it's not overcrowded to the point the ropefish cant swim around on the bottom. I also feed them bloodworms and sinking pellets.

Take a look at the sticky in this forum. Not trying to be terse but there’s a lot more information we need explained in that post.

Back
Top Bottom