Vavarium 3D background/waterfall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IchthyChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started building a vivarium (land & water combo tank) and wanted to make a waterfall for the background. ...More like a water wall. I want water to look like its trickling down a cliff. No big drops. Not big on the splashy sound.

I should have taken more pics of the process, but here's what I've got so far:

image-3665397638.jpg

image-535279111.jpg

image-2650900656.jpg

image-2364321235.jpg

image-350289498.jpg

image-45709804.jpg

That is so awesome! What did you use for building materials? I might want to try this.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Are you using the silicone-coco fiber for the roots or something different?

I used quick expanding foam. I used aluminum foil to make a hallowed out area for the pump then stacked the roots in and sprayed the foam around them. I should have taken a pic before I foamed it. When the foam dried (24 hrs) I carved it up a bit to get the effect I wanted then I put on some rubber gloves and applied black silicone to any foam that was showing. Working quickly so it didn't dry before I applied the peat. For a larger project you'd probably have to do it in sections. This is in a custom 15 gallon tall tank. Then, while the silicone was still wet, I piled on some peat moss and pressed it in and worked it into all the crevices. It would probably look cool with sand instead of peat if that's the look you want. When the silicone dries, just brush off the excess and you're good to go!

I used quick expanding foam. I used aluminum foil to make a hallowed out area for the pump then stacked the roots in and sprayed the foam around them. I should have taken a pic before I foamed it. When the foam dried (24 hrs) I carved it up a bit to get the effect I wanted then I put on some rubber gloves and applied black silicone to any foam that was showing. Working quickly so it didn't dry before I applied the peat. For a larger project you'd probably have to do it in sections. This is in a custom 15 gallon tall tank. Then, while the silicone was still wet, I piled on some peat moss and pressed it in and worked it into all the crevices. It would probably look cool with sand instead of peat if that's the look you want. When the silicone dries, just brush off the excess and you're good to go!

Gotcha, I couldn't tell if they were real roots or if you had made them - I've seen some very realistic ones made out of silicone and covered in the peat or coco fiber. I used the black pond foam and sand on my Tiger Salamander Riparium, and it looks nice.

I'm not sure what I want to put in it. I've been breeding bettas and thought maybe I'd put my best in show in there along with some shrimp of some sort. Not sure if the two will get along.

For plants I think I will put java moss in the pool at the top of the fall and watch how it grows down the wall, choosing its own natural path of growth. Java moss isn't as bushy as some other mosses and shouldn't change the water flow all that much. For the rest, I'll prolly throw in some of those non-aquatic "aquatic" plants that petco sells. Some mondo grass would look sweet at the bottom of the fall.

I'll take suggestions!

That looks like a nice start! Some crypts would look nice along with java moss. Btw, half land half water is a paludarium. A vivarium is any enclose that contains life.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
That looks like a nice start! Some crypts would look nice along with java moss. Btw, half land half water is a paludarium. A vivarium is any enclose that contains life.

--Adeeb

I've herd it called several different things. I think people are making up words at this point. Viquarium is probably more accurate. A paludarium is more of a self containing ecosystem. ...all these things are vivariums as they are an enclosure containing life. So that's the word I chose. Thanks though. ...slipping out of my cranky pants now. :)

LOL the ariums are definitely rearing their heads aren't they. Based on what I've seen, I would have identified a paludarium as a ecosystem contain land or a platform with water below it. A riparium is one that contains margin or hydrophyte plants that grow out of the water. Haven't heard of a viquarium before, but I would agree that a vivarium is probably the most accurate description of what you are working on here. I assume that you'll be doing epiphytes, terrestrial and hydrophytes together in this set-up?

You should get the peacock fern that petsmart sells. It is pretty.

I wanna get some but I am worried about it growing with its roots submerged.

Looks good but I am worried about that foam you used. When I was building my 3D background I was told to use the black landscaping and pond expanding foam as it is 100% fish safe. With the normal foam you have to be sure all the foam is 100% Sealed otherwise you will be leeching toxic chemicals into your water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Once dry aren't some of the foams inert?
Op, what foam did you use?

The only ones that I know of that are inert is the black landscape type, at least according to all the research I did.

The only ones that I know of that are inert is the black landscape type, at least according to all the research I did.

I've seen the regular GS expanding foam used in aquascapes, including reef tanks as well, it just expands a lot more. Once it is completely dry, its harmless.

Wy Renegade said:
I've seen the regular GS expanding foam used in aquascapes, including reef tanks as well, it just expands a lot more. Once it is completely dry, its harmless.

This is what I thought but I haven't done too much reading into it. :/

Back
Top Bottom