Water care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too funny! I have a motorcycle too. Love it! I'm 65 yrs old now and can't get around like I used to but I can still ride my bike like I did when I was 20. My fountain of youth.
I sold a couple of my fancy hunting rifles to get my start. Can't hunt much anymore anyway. Be warned. You get into a nice planted tank and you'll get the fever then need to upgrade lighting, ferts and CO2. It's a never ending fever. I call my tanks my "water boxes where I throw my money" LOL.
Oh, for a cheap temporary background, get some black or dark blue or whatever color you like sheets of construction paper like they use in school art classes and cut to fit and tape to back. Later, OS.

Too funny! I have a motorcycle too. Love it! I'm 65 yrs old now and can't get around like I used to but I can still ride my bike like I did when I was 20. My fountain of youth.
I sold a couple of my fancy hunting rifles to get my start. Can't hunt much anymore anyway. Be warned. You get into a nice planted tank and you'll get the fever then need to upgrade lighting, ferts and CO2. It's a never ending fever. I call my tanks my "water boxes where I throw my money" LOL.
Oh, for a cheap temporary background, get some black or dark blue or whatever color you like sheets of construction paper like they use in school art classes and cut to fit and tape to back. Later, OS.

Lol. Yeah I had an older sportsbike I sold. Rode all the time & loved it. Will get another one day but sold it for 2k & this is where it went- to the fishes lol. I have a background, maybe I didn't post yet but I will. Filling up with water now to realize either my stand or the floors are uneven lol

Lol. Yeah I had an older sportsbike I sold. Rode all the time & loved it. Will get another one day but sold it for 2k & this is where it went- to the fishes lol. I have a background, maybe I didn't post yet but I will. Filling up with water now to realize either my stand or the floors are uneven lol

I noticed in your first picture that you didn't have a piece of styrofoam under the tank. If the tank is filled and it is not level, without the styrofoam, you will end up with a busted tank sooner or later.

A great tank pad that is the small mesh rubber shelf liner. I got mine a Wal-Mart. You can cut it to size and gives just enogh give to pad the tank without showing much. OS.

A great tank pad that is the small mesh rubber shelf liner. I got mine a Wal-Mart. You can cut it to size and gives just enogh give to pad the tank without showing much. OS.

Yeah it's getting aggravating quick. I didn't know anything about a tank pad or that I needed one so no there isn't one. Filled it full of water, rock, & dechlorinator to find that I didn't leave enough room in the back for my filters. About an in off, so it all has to be drained now because its not budging at all. Ugh. God gave me alot, but patience wasnt one. Time to drain the dern tank, pull it out put filters on & a tank pad. Not sure where I would find one considering I have to drive an hr to get anywhere besides walmart & I know they wldnt have nothing for this size. I appreciate the notice, I'm just really over whelmed & aggravated with all this mess. A dog is so much easier.

There is no need to rush everything. Why not stop and take a step back. Do some more reading and go back to the tank in a few days. The fish won't mind waiting ;)

I have to say that my favorite filters are canisters. Something to look into IMO. They don't require any special plumbing or fittings. They sit under or beside the tank and run hoses into it. They are quite simple once you fingered them out.

And on substrate I see it too late but for the future pool filter sand makes great substrate. It's cheap and looks natural.

There is no need to rush everything. Why not stop and take a step back. Do some more reading and go back to the tank in a few days. The fish won't mind waiting ;)

I have to say that my favorite filters are canisters. Something to look into IMO. They don't require any special plumbing or fittings. They sit under or beside the tank and run hoses into it. They are quite simple once you fingered them out.

And on substrate I see it too late but for the future pool filter sand makes great substrate. It's cheap and looks natural.

Thanks. I will prolly look into canisters soon. They seem to be better, I just Cldnt now. Ran outta $. Will definitely be something I look at soon though. I just spent hrs filing the tank up to find out I have to drain it & buy more stuff & move this heavy sob again. I would of never thought about it so I'm thankful for the advice but - geeze. Yeah I need a break. Going to get the pads tonight or tomorrow. Still have a bag of dead fish I was hoping to throw in there soon. Plus 4-6 wks to cycle after doing all this, I'm ready to get it set up, fish in, & start decoring. Your right. I need to step back, breath & take a break lol. Really flustered right now

So what should I do with the 75 ? Stock wise. I listed what I have as of now & some outgrowing ( or will) a few lines above. Bala's & clown loach's ? All semi aggressive ? Idk but I know bala & clowns will have to move one day.

Right now this is what I suggest.

Get the new tank set up, dechlorinated and up to the right temp. Transfer the fish over. Make sure to acclimate them. Take the filters from the old tank and transfer the whole thing and run them along side the new filters. The old filters haven't got enough bacteria to consume all the ammonia produced from the fish yet but that's ok. The larger water volume will dilute the toxins more than the other tank. Then you can continue stabilizing the the tank (complete the cycle). A bacteria bloom may appear in the new tank but that's ok. It will clear.

After the tank is stable, what at least another month then remove the old filters to be used elsewhere if you please. This may cause another mini cycle but that's ok also. Keep up water changes and it will stabilize.

You can use this same process when moving the goldfish.

As for stock, I would suggest rehoming the bala ASAP. They don't belong in the hobby IMHO. The clowns will be fine in the 75 for a long time. They are slow growers.

Patience is the key. You can't rush anything in the fish keeping hobby.

I'm never goon to win this battle. After all this, at the current moment, I'm ready to throw my hands up. I dnt understand all this. I've lost 2 more tonight. Both of my clown loach's are dead. Tested everything 2 days ago & ammonia was a tad high. Nitrate 0 & nitrates were high. Done a 50% wc as advised. Water looks much better (cloudiness) but both of the clowns died. I've been able to hang on to a few, but Cldnt tell you how many I've lost in the past cpl months. I can't get started for losing. I've read till I can't see, watched hrs of videos, bought everything I can afford & suggested, & I'm still losing more fish than I can keep. Hate to sink this much cash into what I have to realize maybe this isn't for me. Starting to agree with the guy that started the thread "depressing hobby". I'm just at a dead end road with all this.

It happens to the best of us. Don't let it get you down. Have you tested the water recently (last few hours)? You need to be testing at least once daily and changing water. Do you understand the cycling process or do you need some help understanding?

Last edited:
It happens to the best of us. Don't let it get you down. Have you tested the water recently (last few hours)? You need to be testing at least once daily and changing water. Do you understand the cycling process or do you need some help understanding?

No I haven't tested today. Did yesterday & some were a lil high but nothing critical I dnt think. I done my wc & then I lost the clowns afterwards. The water looks crystal clear now & all the other fish seem to be doing well so I dnt know why they died, ecs after I changed the water -again, to help them. End up killing them. Cycling - ugh idk. I know ammonia & nitrates are deadly. Ammonia turns into nitrite which breaks down into nitrates. I am continuously changing water it seems like, & idk if or when it will be ok that I can do a wkly wc like everyone else instead of every day or multiple times a day. The tank has been running with fish in for - idk 6-8 wks maybe. Some fish have never had issues & I've had them the whole time, doing great. Others last for a few days & dead. We've lost as many as we've bought. Not a good sign within a couple 2-3 mos time. You'll make this seem so simple. I enjoy it but I'm also confused as all can be, broke because of it, & have dead fish. It's just very aggravating. Idk what to do or when to do it. Seems the harder I try, the more problems are caused. Maybe that was too big of a water change, idk. Funny how it was just the 2 clowns though. ( this time)

No I haven't tested today. Did yesterday & some were a lil high but nothing critical I dnt think. I done my wc & then I lost the clowns afterwards. The water looks crystal clear now & all the other fish seem to be doing well so I dnt know why they died, ecs after I changed the water -again, to help them. End up killing them. Cycling - ugh idk. I know ammonia & nitrates are deadly. Ammonia turns into nitrite which breaks down into nitrates. I am continuously changing water it seems like, & idk if or when it will be ok that I can do a wkly wc like everyone else instead of every day or multiple times a day. The tank has been running with fish in for - idk 6-8 wks maybe. Some fish have never had issues & I've had them the whole time, doing great. Others last for a few days & dead. We've lost as many as we've bought. Not a good sign within a couple 2-3 mos time. You'll make this seem so simple. I enjoy it but I'm also confused as all can be, broke because of it, & have dead fish. It's just very aggravating. Idk what to do or when to do it. Seems the harder I try, the more problems are caused. Maybe that was too big of a water change, idk. Funny how it was just the 2 clowns though. ( this time)

Ok. Lets start from the beginning.
Cycling can take 2 months (or more) when you start from scratch like you did. Because the filter media was changed/replaced the cycle had to start again.

What happens during a cycle.
Fish produce ammonia from their gills and waste. In a cycled tank the bacteria eat the ammonia and produce nitrite. Another set eat the nitrite and produce nitrate. In a tank without any bacteria or not enough the ammonia builds to toxic levels and poisons the fish. About half way through the cycle there is enough ammonia consuming bacteria to eat all the fish produce and nitrite spikes because there is not enough nitrite consuming bacteria. Nitrite is just as toxic as ammonia. Eventually both kinds of bacteria build large enough colonies to eat all the ammonia (and subsequent nitrite). That is when you can call a tank cycled. In a cycled tank nitrate will build and build. Water changes are used to keep it low enough to be safe for the fish.

In your tank you don't have enough bacteria to eat all your fish produce. This is why you have to change the water every day. The ammonia is being produced constantly by the fish. This is why it's important to test daily and change water if needed. Keep ammonia and nitrite at or under 0.25ppm so you know it is safe.

When changing water make sure to match the temperature of the new water close to that of the tank. Change 50% at a time. Wait 10-15 minutes and test again. If ammonia or nitrite is over 0.25ppm then do another 50% water change.

I need you to do some tests. I need you to set a bowl of water out for 24 hours and stir it occasionally. After the 24 hours test the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. At the same time test some fresh water for the same things. Then I need you to post your results.

Any questions? Anything you don't understand?

Also, I need to check the pH of your tank twice daily and see if its changing.

Ok I will do. I'm guessing after enough test & having to change water daily or multiple times per day, it will eventually even out somehow where I don't have to do all this daily ? You been a big help & thanks for the patience. That's one thing I dnt seem to have lol. Also, everyone says to add dechlorinator/chemicals to water before adding to tank. I understand why, but I dnt see how. I add it to the tank immediately after its full but I have a little pale/ bucket that's 10qts (9.5l). If I'm adding 50% to any of the tanks 20,40,75g using this bucket with constant trips to the sink, how can I add it before it goes in the water ? Surely I wldnt put enough chemicals for 75 g in a 10qt bucket & dump in. Idk, a little confused there.

Ok I will do. I'm guessing after enough test & having to change water daily or multiple times per day, it will eventually even out somehow where I don't have to do all this daily ?
Yes, the daily testing will not last forever. When the tank stabilizes you can test once a week or when you notice a problem. When you do your daily tests on your tank you can post them here and we can help decipher them. The tap water test is just a one off to rule out any problems with your source water. The tank pH test is important. The pH can fluctuate throughout the cycle causing it to stall. It can also harm fish.
You been a big help & thanks for the patience. That's one thing I dnt seem to have lol.
No problem :)
Also, everyone says to add dechlorinator/chemicals to water before adding to tank. I understand why, but I dnt see how. I add it to the tank immediately after its full but I have a little pale/ bucket that's 10qts (9.5l). If I'm adding 50% to any of the tanks 20,40,75g using this bucket with constant trips to the sink, how can I add it before it goes in the water ? Surely I wldnt put enough chemicals for 75 g in a 10qt bucket & dump in. Idk, a little confused there.
There are two ways to dose dechlorinator.
When using a bucket you can dose the bucket each time. It's two drops per gallon.
When using a hose, water changer or bucket you can dose the whole tank with enough dechlorinator to treat all the water before you start filling. In your case enough to treat 75 gallons.
Make sure the filters are off so no chlorinated water gets to the bacteria. Chlorine kills bacteria.

Yes, the daily testing will not last forever. When the tank stabilizes you can test once a week or when you notice a problem. When you do your daily tests on your tank you can post them here and we can help decipher them. The tap water test is just a one off to rule out any problems with your source water. The tank pH test is important. The pH can fluctuate throughout the cycle causing it to stall. It can also harm fish.
No problem :)

There are two ways to dose dechlorinator.
When using a bucket you can dose the bucket each time. It's two drops per gallon.
When using a hose, water changer or bucket you can dose the whole tank with enough dechlorinator to treat all the water before you start filling. In your case enough to treat 75 gallons.
Make sure the filters are off so no chlorinated water gets to the bacteria. Chlorine kills bacteria.

Ok thanks. That helps alot. Was just scared I'd over Medicate that way with low water levels. Will start turning filters off as well. Did not know that. Leave them off for - 1/2 hr maybe ?

Say I so a 50% on the 40 gallon. If it calls for say A capful for 20g (just saying) if the tanks already 1/2 empty, would I add enough for the whole tank being new tap water or 1/2 the amount for a 20g because its already 1/2 full with dechlorinator in the other half. Scared of overdosing & buying huge bottles once a wk

Enough for the entire volume of the tank is needed. For the 40g dose enough to treat 40g. What dechlorinator are you using?

You can turn the filters on a couple of minutes after you've finished filling.

Enough for the entire volume of the tank is needed. For the 40g dose enough to treat 40g. What dechlorinator are you using?

You can turn the filters on a couple of minutes after you've finished filling.

@ the moment I'm using AquaSafe plus ( dechlorinator/conditioner ).

image-3869747051.jpg

Back
Top Bottom