Water care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. You will probably will burn through a lot of that. Once you switch to prime it will last heaps longer. It's concentrated. One capful (5ml) treats 50g (200L).

Yeah in going through tons with 3 decent sized tanks trying to cycle. Will look for it nxt time I go to perstore instead walmart

If you purchase online you'll save some $.

Ok, new 75 set partially set up tonight. Trying to cycle. I'm still gonna need another filter( have one rated up to 75, but I think I cld use another): anyhow, added biomax ( recommended dosage which helps cycling). A few hrs later I added approx 12 small dead fish. What do I do now or when do I do it ? I know ammonia has to spike to high levels. When it spikes do I do a 50 or 90% change or wait till it breaks all the down into nitrates & do a change ? I'm trying to do it right this time but still a lil confused ?

Honestly. I would skip the fishless cycle on this one and add the fish and their filter from the 40 to the 75. It's going to be better for the fish. More water means it will take longer for the toxins to build to toxic levels.

You will need to remove all the dead fish. What did they die from?

If your 75 has no fish in atm why dont you run the new filter along side your normal one in the 40 for a few weeks. Then when you move it into the 75 again the tank will likely be ready for fish straight away?

Honestly. I would skip the fishless cycle on this one and add the fish and their filter from the 40 to the 75. It's going to be better for the fish. More water means it will take longer for the toxins to build to toxic levels.

You will need to remove all the dead fish. What did they die from?

I have no idea. Guy at the perstore gave me a small bag to help cycle the tank. Wldnt putting them in the 75 put me in the same boat I'm in now & be dangerous to the fish ( putting them in an uncycled tank ) ? I was planning on using the 75 for semi aggressive & the 40 for tropical. Ecs since I have the bala & really dnt want to rehome him. Just a thought anyhow

If your 75 has no fish in atm why dont you run the new filter along side your normal one in the 40 for a few weeks. Then when you move it into the 75 again the tank will likely be ready for fish straight away?

That's a good idea. Thought about that but didn't know if it'd be too much filtration or hurt the other fish with new filters & media. I have a filter rated for 55 on the 40 already, adding another filter for for 75, ? Dnt guess it would hurt as long as the new stuff dnt kill my fish. So - I got that right, leave it there for 3 wks (?) and then put it on the 75. The tank will be cycled then ? Do I need to do 50 or 90% wc before adding them ? Def. snds like the easiest option. Going to do that. Just let me know what to do from then. Thanks

If your 40 has the right paramaters then just continue as you have been. Most larger filters have a flow reducer so you could always turn it to a minimum. The extra filtration wont do any harm its just the current it creates. So if you can restrict that the fish will be more then happy. Are these internal filters or external?

Oh and new filter media will be no issue as the the cycled media in the existing filter will keep the tank in good shape and it just gives the new media a chance to build the colonies

If your 40 has the right paramaters then just continue as you have been. Most larger filters have a flow reducer so you could always turn it to a minimum. The extra filtration wont do any harm its just the current it creates. So if you can restrict that the fish will be more then happy. Are these internal filters or external?

They're both hob filters ( external)

image-2138491144.jpg

If you restrict the flow i would think it would be perfect way to do it. If you have the seed material already you tank will cycle super fast. Id give it around four weeks along side your other filter then hang it on your 75 add some liquid ammonia and make sure it clears with your test kit and you will be good for fish. I found it to be so much easier and quicker then a standard cycle. Would be a shame to not use the seed material you have :)

If you restrict the flow i would think it would be perfect way to do it. If you have the seed material already you tank will cycle super fast. Id give it around four weeks along side your other filter then hang it on your 75 add some liquid ammonia and make sure it clears with your test kit and you will be good for fish. I found it to be so much easier and quicker then a standard cycle. Would be a shame to not use the seed material you have :)

Ok I'm going to move it over in the 40g for 4 wks. I've added biomax rings ( filter inserts) to both filters already, even though it says for 60-110g aquariums ? Hope it won't hurt the 40. Anyhow, I dnt understand why adding liquid ammonia though. I've added bio-boost already & still have the dead fish in to start cycling that I'll remove. So the filter will be established by then but I'm wanting 0 ammonia, so why add it, to start the cycle again ? I can't put fish in with liquid ammonia can I ? So so confused ?

If you add the ammonia after you move the filter back to the 75 you can make sure that your filter will cycle it. Then you know you can add fish without worry. If the amonia doesnt clear you know the cycle hasnt finshed yet. Depending on how well your 40 is you may cycle in less then 4 weeks

The 40 isn't fully cycled. Be very careful removing the new filter after 4 weeks. It could send the tank south again.

I thought you where moving all the fish to the 75. Got confused with all the posts. :)

If going fishless I would advise bottled ammonia also. Make sure its pure. Never add it to a tank with fish. I would remove the dead fish from the 75 ASAP. You don't know what they died of. They could be carrying disease.

Where are the Goldies going then? I thought they where getting the 40.

Where are the Goldies going then? I thought they where getting the 40.

Lol. Idk. I would like to move to them to the 40 but that's why I was asking for opinions/suggestions. Looks like they'll stay in the 20 for a while. They're both pretty small (2 of them) but I have nowhere else to put them. I'm not buying any more tanks. 3 of them is driving me insane right now. Thinking the 40 will stay for the freshwater tropical (community) & the 75 bala will go into along with the new freshwater semi-aggressive. Best I can come up with right now for a variety & get bala out of that tank. Just what I'm thinking at the moment that would be best

Lol. Idk. I would like to move to them to the 40 but that's why I was asking for opinions/suggestions. Looks like they'll stay in the 20 for a while. They're both pretty small (2 of them) but I have nowhere else to put them. I'm not buying any more tanks. 3 of them is driving me insane right now. Thinking the 40 will stay for the freshwater tropical (community) & the 75 bala will go into along with the new freshwater semi-aggressive. Best I can come up with right now for a variety & get bala out of that tank. Just what I'm thinking at the moment that would be best

Ok. I still think the bala needs to go so you have room for the tropicals in the 75 and goldfish in the 40. They will outgrow the 20 faster than you think. Its your tank so your decision though ;)

Give the thread a read again. Along with all the articles everyone has posted. Then you can make a 100% decision on how to cycle and go from there.

Last edited:
Ok. I still think the bala needs to go so you have room for the tropicals in the 75 and goldfish in the 40. They will outgrow the 20 faster than you think. Its your tank so your decision though ;)

Give the thread a read again. Along with all the articles everyone has posted. Then you can make a 100% decision on how to cycle and go from there.

I do understand what your saying & was with u for a while, I may be wrong, but I'm looking at it like this. As of now, I have no variety in fish. If the goldfish go to the 40, then yeah I cld get a 3rd one & they should be ok in that tank but that's be it. Tropical freshwater community - basically consist of tetras. Yeah a few others, but still not many options. Most wont get over a few inches even though pleco is getting big ?. Colors of the ones I've found doesn't seem to be very bright. I thought I cld get more fish varieties, better colors if I go into semi aggressive as well. Seems the real bright pretty ones are semi's or aggressive though. I do see what ur saying but it's kind of in the air right now until the tank is ready.

If you add the ammonia after you move the filter back to the 75 you can make sure that your filter will cycle it. Then you know you can add fish without worry. If the amonia doesnt clear you know the cycle hasnt finshed yet. Depending on how well your 40 is you may cycle in less then 4 weeks

Ok- be patient with me plz lol. I'm going to add ammonia after 4 wks when I put this filter in. Do I wait a few hrs & do a test or a few days ? If the test reads ammonia levels ( which I'm sure they will since I just added) then it's not cycled & I do a 50% wc ? I'm kinda following you here but after I add ammonia - I'm as lost as a Easter bunny on Christmas. I bought a bottle of ammonia from wal mart ( straight ammonia w/o color or scents). However I just watched a video on YouTube of fishless cycling & he used ammonia. BUT - if you shake the bottle & it bubbles at the top it's good to use for the tank. If you shake it & it foams at the top, it's bad. They say u dnt want to use that ammonia for this. So I shook mine- sure enough, it foams. Guess it's not good to put in there.

image-1736382310.jpg

Back
Top Bottom