Ways to improve my ecosystem experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cornstar said:
Usually with danios, I heard you would need a school of at least 6, but I'm not sure if that applies with small tanks.

Yes it does. Danios need schools of 6 and a larger tank than a 10g. If this is for the tank you're planning the 'ecosystem' in I would recommend neither. If you want any chance if it working listen to the advise and the fish being suggested in your other thread.

I do not suggest danios for a 10g tank because of their activity level. I think a 20 long is really a better tank minimum for them.
Is is the enclosed system tank? If so, I would not recommend flagfish either.

Need bigger tank. They grow up to 3 inches each. They are right ^.

it is for the eco tank, i am looking for 2 species of fish, ideas?

It would be better to keep ideas for that tank in the other thread so people so see all the info in one place. :) I think jeta and bruins suggested some things. :)

i am looking for 2 species of compatible fish that will lay eggs, ideas????????????

zacheyp said:
i am looking for 2 species of compatible fish that will lay eggs, ideas????????????

I would not add anything else other than the minnows. There isn't enough room in a 10 gallon aquarium.

Other people seem to have the scientific aspects of this covered so far, I am just going to add in here that people do often come with pre-conceptions about systems similar to this one, but I do not think its just because they have not seen it. There has been much talk on this site (and in the aquarium keeping public in general) regarding enclosed systems. People of course will have their own opinions about the topic, and thats fine. I think most of us here are pretty open as long as it seems that somebody has the best interest of the fish in mind.
@aquaponicpaw, your set-up and experience sound a bit different from the what the OP is doing. I would actually be interested to know a bit more about your experiences with this sort of thing. :)
@zacheyp, with a 10g tank, I don't really think 2 fish species would be a good idea. Obviously, its up to you. I believe jeta suggested a couple of smallish species. The white clouds lay eggs. So would the least killis.

The flag fish are very active/fast swimmers. I think they need a bigger, longer tank. They can also be bullies. But danios are probably fast enough to deal with them. Good luck!

i have decided on stocking 3 golden white clouds and 3 long fin white clouds

Just a question. You are doing an ecosystem, so doesn't that imply keeping organism from all the same area? So, you would have to research the specific area and exactly what lived there. I want to tell you to go for this. I love interesting and new tanks. Anything thinking outside of a chain store grabs my attention. But, this needs lots and lots of research. Throwing out questions to a forum is great, but this is a set up that really requires sitting on Google for hours.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Just a question. You are doing an ecosystem, so doesn't that imply keeping organism from all the same area? So, you would have to research the specific area and exactly what lived there. I want to tell you to go for this. I love interesting and new tanks. Anything thinking outside of a chain store grabs my attention. But, this needs lots and lots of research. Throwing out questions to a forum is great, but this is a set up that really requires sitting on Google for hours.

^^^ I totally agree. This requires A LOT of research before you even set up the tank. It's not something you can jut jump into.

Or just go off of people on forums. There are great minds on here, but I have made the mistake of not researching what people tell me beforehand. And in your case, the fish are already in a difficult situation.

Research, research, research.

I know this thread is old but I read through most of it and would like to add my experience to the conversation.
First off I think the concept is COMPLETELY doable but not in the capacity the OP is attempting. A 10 gallon tank is very limiting. 3 species of fish is unreasonable IMHO. Also the issue of food and nitrogen never (that I saw) got answered. In this size tank and this setup it will be very difficult but here is what I think you could do.
First put either topsoil or a planting substrate (flourite or something) in. This will make a pretty nutrition rich environment for the plants. In order to do this you will need to be by a window. Next you need to plant the plants. Crypts or Anubius is going to be about the only submerged plant you can have that you won't need to trim. Let that start growing and once it is established than add pothos vine. Have the roots in the water only. Eventually they will reach the bottom of the tank and get into the substrate. Then add snails. Ramshorns, pond snails, and MTS are great snails. After this has settled then you can add shrimp. Red Cherry Shrimp will breed fast enough to provide food for your fish eventually. Let the colony get really well established.
Now you can finally add the fish. You cannot go add a bunch of fish. In a setup this small you could have 3 or 4 Scarlet Badis or a Betta. Both are carnivorous and will eat the shrimplets.
So this way the shrimp and snails eat the algae and dead plant matter, the fish eat the baby shrimp and snails, and nitrogen comes in from the pothos vine and fish waste.
I may have missed something but I think this is pretty much it.
Hope this helps. God bless!

Back
Top Bottom