Were losing Cookie this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had a fairly long power outtage last night..all the tanks are between 55 and 65 depending wht type of top. Actually the ones just coverd with heavy glass for evap fared better than the standard plastic tops.
Cookie is pure white at first..I put my hands on him to fish him out and he colored up black in that spot and tewiched gilll. So we are taking turns holding him and running him along the water to help gill movement..but I don't know if it will work.
This computer is acting wanky, the one downstairs won't even turn on. And I had to get 3 new surge suppressors from the garage.
Fo$@#K! and he was looking sooo nice yesterday! He had some reds AND blues showing all over...*sniff* Hope is not yet gone, until he is white and his eye are dead.....

Looks bad..he will surely die as soon as she has gone to school..

for her helping him recover he is a black fish and with pale face and gills..

for me he starts to turn nearly white with 2-3 black patches.

My son 's chocloates are on a 2 hour back up. He bought a UPS at the pawn shop They are all huddled on the heater and ..their tank was 68 ths morning. my poor pugnax were at a nippy 55 as were one tank of betta.
Most of our fish are types that can handle a few bad hours with exception of

..anna is canceling her Ebay order..for a well acclaimed small battery generator. It has been a month and they lied over the shipping anyway which they just e-malied to us. Though we requested during the 3 rd day after winning. :evil: :evil: it is supposeddly a pretty good ebay seller..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Cookie stay alive! We all know you can do it! I'll pray for him Christmasfish.
OHHHHHHHHHHH Cookie :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ya know adult discus are very hardy, but this poor fish has been through a lot. If it still alive by now, it just may recover with gradually increasing the temp.

I'm terribly sorry, and hope everything will turn out OK. You guys have put a lot of effort and time into him. I hope evrything will turn out OK.

Oh no! Cookie is the fish that you rescued from that pet store right? I read about him in your other thread "saw the most miserable fish".

He's got moxie though, I certainly hope he pulls through.. Go Cookie Go!!

On a side note, what could someone do if they were present during the power outtage? how do you keep a tank warm without electricity?

Well, 4 and a half hours gone by and Cookie finally could not fight any more...
there is only so much that can be done to keep water flowing through the gills.

Anna will be striken becuase he was almost green again with a lot of black when she had to turn him over to me. I answereed the door for an express package and he went. Pretty sure still gills, white color and fins all extended is quite dead. I tried for 30 minutes to make sure. ~sigh~ I can't help that he didn't like me as much.
As much as she loves discus it has to be nixed for quite some time or until AFTER we have more power source alternatives.

I will console her that his last days were happy. God he was so pretty, eating his dinner yesterday we had actually stopped worrying. His water temp was finally toasty we had cranked him to 85 it remained steady ( a lower temp trying for 84 was not stable)and the pH fluctuation was not there with aged water. So he was at 7. My Kh has dropped some. (becuase the pH fluctuation IU tested)

I am soo mad if I had my suburban I'd go pull down those damn trees. We(me- neighbors) have petioned the county and the owner. (More people comment worriedly on the 80/100 ft giant on my property corner. And it is solid as granite).
those crappy 20ish foot pines are the problem!
The transformer on that pole has been pegged by those trees near no less than 15 times since September. One time they caught fire. Another time our power was out during that blizzard for just under 10 hours (it was out long then it went out again one hour later). Only 3 were an hour or less.
I lost a snail and two tetras as well. WE have at least 6 large baby betta make it; but the "mamma" chocolate spit the load. There are only like 6 small fry in the plants.The rest are at the bottom. :( it was too dim this morning to catch that. ANd the missing tetra out of the 13?15? WE got extra accidently so i forget...

My condolences for all your losses. My heart just breaks for your daughter. I hope she is consoled by the fact she gave Cookie a fighting chance and he died while being given the best care. :cry: I need to go find a tissue :cry:

X'masfish - so sorry to hear about your losses. :cry: :cry: :cry: ... but at least you gave him a fighting chance, and no doubt he died happy.

EEk said:
On a side note, what could someone do if they were present during the power outtage? how do you keep a tank warm without electricity?

During the great NE blackout, someone on this forum wrapped the tanks in blankets & do partial water changes with warm water to keep the temp up, and managed to pull the fish through. This of course requires that you have a gas water heater or some way to heat water without power.

Christmasfish, I'm so sorry about your fish - especially Cookie who seemed to be responding so well to your care.

I'm equally as crushed. :( :( :( . You're both to be commended.

I truly am sorry. It breaks my heart that this happened, but there's only so much that can be done. He wouldn't have made it at all if it wasn't for the undying devotion you and your daughter gave him. :cry:

Oh shoot. That is SO unfair, not only to Cookie but to you and especially your daughter.

I don't know if it would change anything, but it may help your daughter to write a letter to whoever is keeping you from cutting those trees, explaining the results of this last blackout. A letter from an 8 yr old to the paper may also get things moving...

Back
Top Bottom