What Cichlids are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got these from a co-worker.. But I have no clue what type of Cichlids they are..

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

The orange one is smaller then the first 2, and the Yellow is Smaller then the Orange.. the yellow one is hiding until it get a bit bigger, the first 2 I posted I have 2 of each with that color.. I also still have a Black Skirt Tetra in the tank (yeah I know) but in the 7 Months the cichlids have been in there he has not been bothered.. The Black Skirt I have had for 6 years

The first two look like peacocks But I'm not sure what kind, the 3rd orange one is a red zebra and the 4th yellow one is an electric yellow

The peacocks look like a Taiwan reef male and female. Those are beautiful fish

The first one, the most colorful is the male and the second one is the female

Lake Malawi has 3 classifications of fish. Peacocks, Haplochromines (haps), and Mbuna.

The yellow lab and red zebra are mbuna, the taiwan reefs are haps. Under optimal circumstances, its not the best choice to mix them because of the difference in aggression, size, and the way they prefer their tank to be set up... That being said, I have all 3 (mbuna, haps, peacocks) in my 150g with no issues (I was uninformed when I started).

mfdrookie516 said:
Lake Malawi has 3 classifications of fish. Peacocks, Haplochromines (haps), and Mbuna.

The yellow lab and red zebra are mbuna, the taiwan reefs are haps. Under optimal circumstances, its not the best choice to mix them because of the difference in aggression, size, and the way they prefer their tank to be set up... That being said, I have all 3 (mbuna, haps, peacocks) in my 150g with no issues (I was uninformed when I started).

Thanks! I too was uninformed about cichlids but to free I could not say no. Guess I will find out how will the do together.

Also my co-worker said to watch for babies/ eggs. What am I looking for? I assume it will happen since I have male and female

They're mouth brooders. What they do is they carry the eggs around in their mouth until they hatch. You'll be able to see a bulge in the females mouth, she probably wont eat, and will start to look ragged. They'll hold for almost a month, then she'll spit them out once they're big enough to get their own food and make it to hiding spots. Don't expect them to live, but don't be surprised if you fine an inch long baby one day in the tank either.

Well,

I was looking at them tonight and it dawned on my I had 3 Males then and 2 females.

Tonight I could only fin the 2.. I found the 3rd, stuck in a decoration, when I was doing some cleaning on Thursday it must have gotten stuck and I did not notice until today :(

He is still alive but not swimming very well, choosing to rest on the bottom. I have a larger Fry net I use to use for Guppies, so he is now in that in the tank, not sure if he will make it, but in the net he has a better chance I hope

unfortunately, as I thought the 3rd Male did not make it..

AH well, need to ask the guy at work for a couple more maybe :)

I got these from a co-worker.. But I have no clue what type of Cichlids they are..

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

The orange one is smaller then the first 2, and the Yellow is Smaller then the Orange.. the yellow one is hiding until it get a bit bigger, the first 2 I posted I have 2 of each with that color.. I also still have a Black Skirt Tetra in the tank (yeah I know) but in the 7 Months the cichlids have been in there he has not been bothered.. The Black Skirt I have had for 6 years
I think the bluest one is a Red Empress(male)

Back
Top Bottom