What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cleaned all the glass on all 5 tanks
I never knew my clarkies eyes were so big , than I looked at my yellow banded maroon clowns and there eyes were like 1/2 the size , how I never notice that before
just a odd observation I guess :D

the main reason I mentioned that was I did that placed tank where I liked it filled it than found out I didn't leave room behind for equipment :whistle: , just to find out its not moving full :facepalm: didn't want you making the mistake I did (y)

going to look great once some rock goes in , can't wait to see :cool: it:popcorn:

I ALMOST did it with my 110 gallon. I was so excited to get it filled up and running I never even thought of pulling it out for the filters. Thank goodness I realized before it got too heavy to move, I would've been so mad. Lol
Thank you, I found some neat looking black rocks with red streaks in them online that I might get for it, and add some red and grey sandstone that I get locally to them- should make the colors in the rocks and the fish pop nicely. Picking rocks and plants is probably my favorite part of setting up the new tanks! :)

Doing a water change on the 56 gallon now (sucked up all the detritus and now I'm sitting back while the water changer does the filling for me) and I guess I annoyed my bettas. Most of the girls were nipping at me the whole time my hands were in the tank! Especially my little blue crowntail. She wouldn't let up! Gonna call her Killer now. Maybe spawning brought out some protective instinct in her - she's the momma of my betta fry.

Cichlid ism said:
Nothing beats cleaning tanks on a off day :)

Yup. I've done two and have three more to go. Taking my time between tanks so I don't get too worn out to finish them all!

Reorganized my rocks a little, removed what I think was a small sundial snail, and used the new reef test kit to do a total tank test.

JMAY,

That is looking good , I always wanted a planted tank but just never had good luck , Everything would just die in like a week ,so I just gave up ,now
I have 2 SW Reef tanks both doing great I just don't understand why my not so green thumb (y) has no problems keeping corals alive but can't keep a simple FW plant alive , It would be nice to see my 2 FW tanks look as nice as my 2 SW tanks
whats your pointers on keeping your plants alive (y)(y)

Thank you!! :) I have an extremely low tech setup. About as low tech as you can get! I have 2 twist in fluorescent light bulbs (bought them at petsmart and the packaging said that they would support plant growth,) I have floramax plant substrate capped with the gravel. I also added root tabs since they all have roots. I dose with Seachem's Flourish liquid fertilizer once a week (IMO, its best to alternate ferts. I learned that here) and I dose with API CO2 booster daily. I prefer using excel, but I bought what was available since it was necessary. Lol.
Love your reefs! My reef has a long way to go!! I'm upgrading to 100 gallons soon. I have a thread if you want to follow. :) I also have a thread for my current 55 gallon reef.

Jmay, Seaweed, I really like your natural colored gravel. Looks like the color of a real stream bed. Very nice looking tanks..

Thank you! :) I'm going for very natural with this one. I keep finding myself wishing minnows were not cold water fish. Then they could live with my Cory cats. Lol. I have zebra danios. I have a piece of drift wood that I already bought to replace the decoration, but it still needs to be soaked and boiled. Then I'm adding either java fern or java moss to grow on the drift wood. Which do y'all think?

I'm wanting a carpet to fill in. Will having Cory cats be a problem?

Woke up this morning, turned my lights on, and going one of my electric blue ahli's dead. :( No sign of sickness, no sign of a scuffle, just dead in my plant. I'm really bummed, but relieved it wasn't my frontosa or my five bar. I'll be doing another water change today in that tank now. All of my parameters are where they usually are, too, so I am stumped over the death. In the past month I have lost both of my clown loaches and now the electric blue. Really hope I don't keep going with this trend! >=(

jmay;
I have 6 julie corys. They root around my bottom plants but seem to do so pretty gently. The only plants of mine they have uprooedt are ones that I didn't get planted in the gravel well enough. The benefit is that they will stir up the stuff that gets in your carpet so that it gets in the water again for the filters to pick up. I LOVE my corys! OS.

jmay;
I have 6 julie corys. They root around my bottom plants but seem to do so pretty gently. The only plants of mine they have uprooedt are ones that I didn't get planted in the gravel well enough. The benefit is that they will stir up the stuff that gets in your carpet so that it gets in the water again for the filters to pick up. I LOVE my corys! OS.

Great! Thanks! I was worried. I think if someone made me choose, cories might be my favorite freshwater fish. I have 4 albino cories right now. I'm wanting to maybe move up to a larger tank sometime so I can have a few more. I want peppered, bronze, and juliis. They always have so much personality!

jmay;

And i have oddballs my cories have ate my plants down to the skeleton and ate the stems too the only thing that survived was moss.. gonna give it another go though ...

Got my shrimp, snails and a single plant (was supposed to be a small bunch of 3 certain plants n lots extra so alittle ticked) exchanged my heater everything is pretty much on the up and up .. did pwc on all tanks except the 55g removed moss and added to the shrimp tank on it .

Edit: i had 20 shrimp ... apparently whn i was gone my husband decided to remove the betta from the breeder net and he has a nice round full belly of oh atleast 15 shrimp and left 3 dead.. :( #so annoyed

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130601_201112.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130601_201112.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 82
Got my shrimp, snails and a single plant (was supposed to be a small bunch of 3 certain plants n lots extra so alittle ticked) exchanged my heater everything is pretty much on the up and up .. did pwc on all tanks except the 55g removed moss and added to the shrimp tank on it .

Edit: i had 20 shrimp ... apparently whn i was gone my husband decided to remove the betta from the breeder net and he has a nice round full belly of oh at least 15 shrimp and left 3 dead.. :( #so annoyed

Oh NO! I am so sorry! That is an awful thing to have happen.:bawl:

I finished sorting and packed a few orders, didn't have the time for all of them before the mail. Found my Kordon bags from being misplaced after moving. :dance:

Started to make some more decisions for which fish need to be rehomed, or changed in to different tanks.

I just want to say, there are so many kind and very nice people here on AA.

Thanks to all of you who help and encourage and problem solve for so many. :thanks:

Divided up the snails I got from clearancepuppy between most of my tanks, and now I have frozen food defrosting for everyone. A crab leg for the puffers, cucumber for the plebe, and brine shrimp and bloodworms for everyone else. I set up a brine shrimp hatchery today, too. My betta fry will be getting nice fresh baby brine shrimp soon!

Going to look at a 150+ tank it was a reptile tank I need to make sure it is a aquarium and not just a terrarium the guy is selling it for 120.00 . What kind of glass thickness should I be looking for?

I did a 50% pwc in my daughters 20 gallon. Then a 30% pwc in my 70 gallon, trimmed the plants cleaned the filter, and did some aquascaping. I also set a snail trap to try and control the mts and pond snails. (I removed about 30-40 by hand during the clean)

Back
Top Bottom