What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Snail overload! Mine don't seem to be as breeding-happy as yours. Either that or they morphed into pond snails :p

LOL
They have been in there for 2 years and I have only given away a few last year, and then about 40 of them just a month ago or so. They DO seem pretty happy. For most of the first year they were in a baby guppy grow out, so they got tons of extra food to eat.

Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!

Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!

Assassin snails... I am considering putting my 2 assassin snails in this tank and see if they like these. They are super cleaners so I like them, and pond snails. :) but I am weird:ROFLMAO:

Today I am cleaning out my planted bowl and adding new old tank water to it for a little ferts.

Having to add a little substrate to the presently bare bottom Chi tank. Because I kept seeing my Betta heading straight down and then swimming sideways at the bottom of the tank. Thinking he might be sick I went and checked and the bottom is like a mirror, so he keeps thinking he is charging and flaring at another fish!!!

Cleaned out the snail bucket and extra plants in 2 buckets. Had received some plants from a swap and they were in the top of the bucket to get the most light. 3 small Echinodorus angustifolia - Vesuvius Sword Which is REALLY fun and interesting, 3 little bitty Blyxa Japonica. Some Riccia or some sort of Crystal Wort the size of a nickle, looks barely alive right now. Not too sure.

But the real fun, was that I kinda forgot that there were 2 Assassin snails which were a bonus, at the time I got them I put them into the bucket with the most pond snails and therefore saved what few reds I had left. They had already gone to town and there were a dozen empty shells of the little guys.

So I picked out tiny snails from the buckets from the size of a pin tip, some newly hatched reds, to mostly babies, but some the size of a dot, to give the snails something to eat, and save the ones I really wanted and it was good to see a few left from one of my original Grand daddy blue grey Ramshorns!

Rinsed and cleaned the plants and moss.

Changed the water for the Betta girls and got all that back into their containers.

Last night the Elephant Ear Betta went to his new home, and the report this morning, was that he was doing fine.

So in the last 2 days, I have emptied and reduced one bucket and the 2.5G mini bowfront. The mistaken male Betta that was in the female Betta cup needs to go back to the store and get exchanged. HE wasn't in the "she" plan and I can't justify another tank for him, he originally killed the 2 lil babies I first had. Sad, but it wasn't his fault he was in the wrong cup.

Here are a couple pics I thought were fun.

The Anubias plant I got from the Colorado Aquarium Society aution had a flower, and this week I found a new bud. The 1st pic is the two together, then the bud and then the flower.

60074-albums11380-picture66472.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66469.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66470.jpg

When I fed the fish some sinking wafers and I came back to check on them I found this!

60074-albums11380-picture66475.jpg

Bowl o snails anyone?

60074-albums11380-picture66476.jpg

This little guy was upset the snails had dog piled, urm, snail piled on the wafer, so I had to add a little more.
60074-albums11380-picture66471.jpg

Did 75% pwc on 5G and hooked up filter

Yikes! That's a lot of snails thought my tank had plenty :)
Added a couple of baby viv snail's to my tank going to grow them out before trying them in with Gonzo :eek: hopefully he'll leave these alone. Fresh bloodworm for him tonight.
Fed my African shrimp spirulina powder and cucumber they seem to like that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad :(

Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad :(
I understand. Mostly they hide under the sand and you never see anything except empty snail shells. They rarely come out.

Oh dear! Just found a zebra danio fry swimming erratically. He is swimming in a corkscrew. Anyone know what could be the problem? I think it may be that one of his fins is hurt, the danios just move so fast I can't see. The others were picking on him, so I put him in quarantine. Will he be okay by himself? Any help is appreciated.

I figured out the problem. His right fin isn't working! I don't know why though...I'm worried about him.

Topped off the tanks, still trying to get my nitrates up for my poor water column plants. 2 weeks since water change and parameters still look beautiful (for the fish) Nitrates still below 10 though :(. Mystifies me. But glad to not have to do as many WC! The shrimp babies are getting big, noticed two of the original females are newly berried! Zebra Danio with rock stuck in her mouth this morning seems to be fine now, which is good. My otto cats are doing faaaaaaaaaaabulous. Probably need to give them another cucumber tomorrow. Mr.Betta is not picking on them, and apparently though he killed 3 of the ghost shrimp withing a week of putting them in, the 4th is buddy-buddy with him. Also, I think Mr.Betta needs a pea.....poor guy. Theodore (BN Pleco) still hates cucumbers, trying algae wafers, but everyone else like those too, and it's hard to remember to feed the fish at bed time. Grow out tank finally clearing up after rearranging plants (dirted). So impatient for plants to grow (again waiting for the nitrates to rise!) Root feeders are doing well, but column feeders are crying.

Just saw a empty snail shell floating down in my snail tank. And there aren't any assassins. Creepy! Or maybe I'm just not feeding them enough...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399552876.913965.jpg

House inspection tomorrow so i cleaned out beneath my 3 foot tank and refilled it with much of my assorted aquarium junk, but this time neatly enough to fit all of the assorted things in. I also consolidated all the things i can sell, plastic plants, sunken rowboat with skeleton that blows bubbles from his pipe, and a couple of realistic looking logs. I think it should fetch about $20

Fed all tanks, did a WC on my Betta tank, will rescape this weekend and change to black gravel. I need to do a serious trim on one 20g the lower regions are messy because the stems have been trimmed so often. I wanted to start fresh by trimming new growth and replanting while clearing out some of the bare stemmed plants so i let the plants get fairly long. The goal is to have the tank with clean new stems for 2 weeks before a trim is required. Week 3 i can trim again then leave for 2 weeks and start with new stems again. I want to add some driftwood too. I have 2 bits i'll choose from

I plan to add some electrical tape to all chords for my electrical components for each tank. Blue for filters, yellow for lights and red for heaters. I am tired of unplugging 4 plugs to find the right heater during a WC. This should make things easier. I need to buy power boards with switches for each plug.

Adding new substrate since my aponogeton is about to flower. Fish refused to be caught ahead of time, so they are in the sand cloud.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399574645226.jpg
    1399574645226.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 1399574656232.jpg
    1399574656232.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1399574673087.jpg
    1399574673087.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 1399574683891.jpg
    1399574683891.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 114
Waiting for them to flop so that I can turn the pump on. I've neglected my WCS the past couple weeks, so they get 100% today.

Attachments

• 1399643938523.jpg
    1399643938523.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 114
I've been only using half of my glass canopy to see the difference light would make. So I unfortunately found one of our harlequin rasboras on the floor. Sad day

BIG trim today can't wait for new growth View attachment 236761View attachment 236762

Looks beautiful! I have one aponogeton plant in my 20G that successfully grew from the bulbs I got. It is getting ready to flower. I hope to have a well planted tank. I added sand yesterday for the seeds to had something to root in. I hope mine will look as good as yours does!

FIRST Salt Water tank, a nano 5G Chi

This morning I wasn't planning on going to the fish store and setting up my little tank.

Started off cleaning up some melted plants in one bucket and a tank.

Moved Betta girls to the 5G Marineland tank, and a male Betta to the 5G grow out bucket of plants.

Added a heater and added a air bubbler to the snail bucket, considering moving the pond snails and the 2 assassins to the 5G Betta Sorority.

Cleaned the 2.5G I didn't get around to the other day. Moved the melted plants from not getting enough light. Fussy plants, just because they didn't get extra light for a couple days. My temple plants lost all leaves and most of their stems, Ludwigia lost a bunch of leaves, a wad of Guppy Grass turned mostly to mush. Yikes what a mess. Only the Moss was happy. Moving my favorite Betta to the 2.5 for a little while.

Cleaned out the chi, just rinse out wipe down and dry, really was cleaned the other day.

Modified one of my square cat litter buckets I use for grow out buckets so I could use the Fluval Chi filter bubbler fountain in the bucket and the side bracket which holds it onto the glass is supposed to slide down smooth glass. Had to saw off a couple little ridges to make it flatter.

Put together the stones in the SW 5G Chi tank. Added sand, and then the water.

Here is the link to the SW Nano, if you want to help me out, or just follow along. I will add pics there more often of it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/first-sw-nano-chi-5g-309063.html#post2942387

Here are a couple pics...

Empty and ready to load!
60074-albums13960-picture66517.jpg

This one is all finished...for the night...Sooooo cloudy, right after filling...
What will it look like? Building suspense!

60074-albums13960-picture66511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom