What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3G pwc on 12G. Cleaned the outside glass and lid of the 12G.

Shared Blue Velvet Shrimp for a large amount and variety of plants, getting ready to plant the 72G over again. And received a new adult Scarlet Badis. He is about 3x the size of my 2 little ones! Put him into the 6.6G Edge tank. Now I need another female or 2.

Watched/watching my Angelfish they all seem to be cleaning the DW in different places. AND chasing each other out of their areas... Still can't tell if any are paired up, they all keep changing places; no two are seeming to be chummy, at least as far as I can tell. Yet.

Now that I have the pretty Blue Mystery snails again, I am looking for the Magenta and purple striped ones like I used to have. The ones with the pinkish raspberry shell and stripes and the ones with a cream shell and Purple or pinkish purple stripes. (anybody have those PM me ;) plz ) I really missed them in my tanks too.

Getting ready to clean out the 5G and see if the person who is probably gonna take 1 or more of my female Bettas is interested in the tank too. Musical tanks for the fish.

Going to do the testing on the water tonight or in the morning in the 72G to see if it is ready for the plants and other fish to come in yet. That will mean 1 empty 16G and the 5G also.

The little Betta I took out of the Sorority tank had really been chomped by the biggest Betta. The chompER looks like a female and gets along perfectly with the Guppy and the other Betta, just seems to hate that one I guess.

Put the chompED one in a 1G container with a ton of little plants that were waiting for the rescapes, added some Melafix to aid the healing.

ChompED is always hungry, I think the chompER wasn't letting her have any food. Anyhow chompED seems much happier now. :)

Did my scheduled weekly WC yesterday. Made a meal of things and had a short panic attack. I have a male Betta i was given when the owner moved away recently which is in a 35g tank, preparing for another attempt at breeding. I added some untreated water to the tank, only about 2L out of a 20L bucket before realizing and adding a triple dose of conditioner 2x in the tank and the regular dose in the bucket. Sonic had me worried for a while, he was behaving very oddly and got sluggish (seemed to struggle to swim to the surface of the tank) until i popped the female into the tank in a vase. He perked when he thought he was going to have another crack at breeding so i could relax. I thought i was going to see him die.

Today i discovered i left the filter and heater off on my last WC after my panic about the failed WC for Sonic. It's winter here but it was a pretty warm night so i think i was lucky. The previous night it dropped to -5celsius outside but it stayed above 0 last night. Poor Kuhlis would have had a cold night but they were active in large numbers (at least 9 and i think i have 10 left) when i fed them after work so i guess they're ok. Heating is on again I will keep an eye on them for issues tomorrow. Hopefully they didn't suffer too much in their short winter.

All is well in my other tanks. I bought a slightly bigger tank for the other 2 fish i inherited with Sonic. It's a 10g (i think) Jeabo bow front. It has a slight crack in the top corner but was cheap and has a light and filter, so is ideal for the fantails for a short while. The only issue i have with the tank is that access is very limited. I can barely fit my hand in the top so lazy me will hate doing WC on this tank. The fish should enjoy the extra space when i scape the tank and rehome them though. I will appreciate having a light attached permanantly to the tank though and it's T5's so i can probably grow some decent plants in there.

Did my scheduled weekly WC yesterday. Made a meal of things and had a short panic attack. I have a male Betta i was given when the owner moved away recently which is in a 35g tank, preparing for another attempt at breeding. I added some untreated water to the tank, only about 2L out of a 20L bucket before realizing and adding a triple dose of conditioner 2x in the tank and the regular dose in the bucket. Sonic had me worried for a while, he was behaving very oddly and got sluggish (seemed to struggle to swim to the surface of the tank) until i popped the female into the tank in a vase. He perked when he thought he was going to have another crack at breeding so i could relax. I thought i was going to see him die.

Today i discovered i left the filter and heater off on my last WC after my panic about the failed WC for Sonic. It's winter here but it was a pretty warm night so i think i was lucky. The previous night it dropped to -5celsius outside but it stayed above 0 last night. Poor Kuhlis would have had a cold night but they were active in large numbers (at least 9 and i think i have 10 left) when i fed them after work so i guess they're ok. Heating is on again I will keep an eye on them for issues tomorrow. Hopefully they didn't suffer too much in their short winter.

All is well in my other tanks. I bought a slightly bigger tank for the other 2 fish i inherited with Sonic. It's a 10g (i think) Jeabo bow front. It has a slight crack in the top corner but was cheap and has a light and filter, so is ideal for the fantails for a short while. The only issue i have with the tank is that access is very limited. I can barely fit my hand in the top so lazy me will hate doing WC on this tank. The fish should enjoy the extra space when i scape the tank and rehome them though. I will appreciate having a light attached permanantly to the tank though and it's T5's so i can probably grow some decent plants in there.

Winter there? Lol where do you live? It's summer here in Ontario so in not used to someone saying they live in -5 degrees winters (lucky you). The winter that just passed here was -30 so yeah lol

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

He must be in the Southern Hemisphere. -5° Celcius is pretty cold, that's about what it gets here in Buffalo over the winter.

My betta was acting lazy yesterday, just floating around and not doing much but today he is doing better. I want to try to breed him sometime, maybe when it gets warmer. I added some prime to my sister's tank and her betta started doing better, I think it was stressed from its near-death experience. (It fell on the dresser and I had to gently scoop it up and plop it in the bowl. My sister was in shock!)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Winter there? Lol where do you live? It's summer here in Ontario so in not used to someone saying they live in -5 degrees winters (lucky you). The winter that just passed here was -30 so yeah lol

Namirah��Canadian, Eh?��

I'm in Australia so we do get mild winters compared to much of the world. Not a great deal of snow though. We actually got snow a couple of nights back which is pretty rare in this area. It's getting more common here though.

edit, I do complain about -5degrees celsius being cold so I'd find somewhere to hibernate if faced with extreme cold.

I'm in Australia so we do get mild winters compared to much of the world. Not a great deal of snow though. We actually got snow a couple of nights back which is pretty rare in this area. It's getting more common here though.

edit, I do complain about -5degrees celsius being cold so I'd find somewhere to hibernate if faced with extreme cold.

Haha! Lucky you, Australia's a beautiful place. Just wondering, do you have an accent? I love Aussies and their accents lolXD

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Did water changes in both salt tanks getting ready for the first shipment tomorrow
more corals for my main tank :D weds there's another shipment a clean up crew and lots of macros for bottom tank these will be stored till thurs in my sump , thurs my rock should be here and I can re scape the bottom tank and get the macros planted

Did water changes in both salt tanks getting ready for the first shipment tomorrow
more corals for my main tank :D weds there's another shipment a clean up crew and lots of macros for bottom tank these will be stored till thurs in my sump , thurs my rock should be here and I can re scape the bottom tank and get the macros planted

Lucky you :D

I arranged a new home for the two Betta girls which actually get along. And will get a new pile of plants for the 72G

Worked out a new stocking and scaping plan for my 37G which will be moving to my daughters new place in 3 weeks.

Now the rest here is long and possibly boring... so feel free to skip it. lol

Well...here goes.

Did an hour and a half substrate deep clean on the 72G. This was done by using the Python for the tubing length and sending the ever flowing water outside to water the trees. I was able to get (nearly) all the brown gunk out and it seems very clean, but not perfect, lol.

The water testing began the day of fish tank fun; only to find out that the lack of water changes to try and allow the pH to build up and stabilize, didn't help the pH, still at 6.0 or below, but got my Ammonia through the roof. I guess it might be ammonium atm (due to very low pH) since the fish seem completely fine and in no distress. The tank is still in re-cycling I think, because of the crash.

0 Nitrates, and 0 Nitrites, Kh >1

Added the baking soda in the low amount necessary to increase kH.

After an hour checked it again and found that it at least registered on the test as pale blue but was yellow in 1 drop.

Decided to just get the deep cleaning done and work on the pH / kH issues after.

Did the deep clean on the substrate, adding in 30 extra gallons to keep the water level above the filter height.

Realized I was gonna be out of Prime and couldn't refill the tank to the top. So added an additional bucket of water and the rest of the Prime into the tank, and will pick up another bottle on the way to work.

Water cleared up in 5 - 10 minutes. Cleaned the inside of the glass and the outside.

Added baking soda and calcium to the tank and we will see if this will get me on the way to recovery.

When I do the filter clean out later this week I will be adding 3 bags of crushed coral to assist in preventing this from happening again. Also be checking the kH each month.

Changed the water in the Betta containers which will be going to their new home tomorrow, and also 2 Assassin snails are being rehomed as well. Going to see if the person would like the other Betta that was chompED as well, healing just fine btw.

Last night I cleaned out the 5G Marineland tank and shut it down!

Filled evaporation in the tanks last night as well.

Now after a full fish day, off to work!

I spend way to much every month on my tanks , If I could only stop buying for maybe six months I could finish my willys , My wife calls me the internet shopping junkie , I just buy buy buy , Both UPS and fed ex know I'm a coral junkie with as many shipments I get each month ,

Wow Autumnsky, so busy! Do you work at night?

Lol 54seaweed I'm not to that stage yet with the UPS and FedEx people knowing me, will be there soon though ;)

My sister's betta is looking up, she is swimming around happy as can be. We moved her tank next to my betta's tank and now he is building her a bubble nest. Love at first sight lol :D it's a good sign for breeding though if it ends up getting the OK from my parents. My cousin's betta isn't looking so good, gonna add some prime to her tank tomorrow. I think that's what really helped my sister's betta.

Haha! Lucky you, Australia's a beautiful place. Just wondering, do you have an accent? I love Aussies and their accents lolXD

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I guess i have a bit of an accent. I don't have the drawl like a Steve Irwin. There is a fair bit of variation between accents depending on where you grew up. To generalize i'd say that people who grew up in rural areas are more likely to have that kind of drawl or a variation. My accent is probably closer to someone like Hugh Jackman. Any foreign accent is interesting though.

Yesterday fed BBS and frozen defrosted Tubifex Worms so today is fasting for the big guys, but the little babies are gonna still get fed.

There are plants filling my holding tank 35G and a bucket with plants so I have a BIG bunch now.

Tonight is testing to see if the 72G will have the kH to keep a stable tank, I am thinking it will be close. If not, one more dose of Calcium.

I really feel a great relief to have the Bettas go to another home. I am working on simplifying. There is quite a bit of work in "simplifying" life...

Did the daily feedings, did a PWC on my 20 long, got some rocks for an up coming project.

Oh and I my endler female have birth to ~30ish fry... Oh the fun of fry!

Did nothing today except a water change and stared at the tank. Almost all day.
swwbt6F.jpg

Fresh the tank is beautiful, that makes it easy to stare at it all day ;)

Rinsing gravel to add to my new 3 gal, then going to transfer my betta from his tank and give that tank to my sister for her betta.

Two other groups of my family had plans for my time so I didn't plant my tank yet, but I am going to start planting my 72G this week.

A family member gifted me a brand new Aqua Farm tank 3G for my Betta (even though it is a community Betta; I was talking about getting an imported Fancy though.) So I don't know for sure what I am going to do with it yet. Temporarily for now I put in a bunch of plants I recently got and they needed a little more light than the orange bucket they were in lol and added in some I had left in a grow out tub. So condensing the clutter!

DD bought a 46G bowfront so she could have my too big for my stocking plans, Purple Spotted Gudgeon.

The one which was going to get 3.5 inches long as an adult, but LFS mistakenly got their Gudgeon sizes mixed up and this kind is 6+inches and a mouth the size of the Grand Canyon. It is her favorite fish, and also going to take the White Crayfish and Spotted Raphael Cat and an Angel. All my big bottom feeders which might eat the other fish.

The rest of the stock for her tank will likely be Leopard Danios and a colorful Gourami or a few Blue German Rams, possibly Glass cats and Green Neons. She is considering Celestial Pearl Danios instead of the Green Neons, but then wouldn't have an Angel with CPD.

So anyway, I get to scape the new tank for her in a few weeks when she gets to her new place. She will be taking the Aquaclear 110 already cycled media so should be golden. We are going to pick out some schooling fish likely the Leopard Danios and maybe the Glass cats if they are available to QT while we wait for the move to happen.

Just did all the testing for the SW and FW 72G and the QT of the fish going into the 72G.

QT (7.6 pH) was over 1 point higher than the 72G (6.2pH). At least it is registering on the test chart now. kH was still no color so maybe it will be one more dose tomorrow and good. So I upped the Calcium supplement again for the 72G. And a little Baking soda. I am hoping this time we will be close to the same water.

Measured the tap and it was 7.6 pH. Kh in my tap water will not register on the test, it won't turn blue. So I guess adding the calcium is good. I think I am going to have to talk to some local people and see what else they do, adding crushed coral to the filters seems to be the basic answer.

Added a dose of Calcium to my shrimp 12G and 6.6G Edge tanks.

The 72G was between 0 and .25 for ammonia, 0 Nitrites and between 40-60 ppm Nitrates. So I added Prime for the whole tank and will have to do pwc tomorrow. I think I am at the end of my recycling.

SW needs a water change so doing that tonight.

This is why I would like to simplify :rolleyes: All chores and no rest!

I set my 56 gallon back up! Got the sand rinsed out, hauled it into my room, set it up and filled it (slight disaster - one of the fittings for my python hose came apart and sprayed the living room floor) and sat back to look at it. Then, lo and behold, one of the snail shells that I assumed to be empty started moving. One of my mystery snails that I thought for sure were dead due to being left overnight in an empty but damp tank in freezing weather, then in said empty tank in my garage for 8 months in both freezing cold and baking heat. I had just left the shells in because they all looked empty and was going to just fish them out after I filled the tank. Crazy...

I get to bring home my adopted oscar Wednesday. Hopefully an instant cycle because I am taking his filter pads with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom