What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
switched up the background on my small tank today from a predominantly black 1 to thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453622738.379070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

like it lunch!

Last night did pwc on 2 tanks 6.6G 1G each, 2G each on the 11.4 & 12G Edge, 90% on tub of BV Shrimp and added another G of water to my tub of plants.

Still thinking about what to do with the scape for the 72G. I might just plant things for now and have to come back to some of the more complicated ideas I am working on.

A couple things came up and interupted my tank /plant design work yesterday and none today. Life can be so inconvenient and disruptive to a good plan.

Tomorrow will plant I guess. I kept the lighting on the buckets for a long time the last 2 days. And added a Daylight bulb to the lamp for the tub of plants. Am hoping I can make something look pretty good for the mean time.

The fish are out more, beings that most the plants are out of the tank right now. The albino BN Pleco trio are all over the tank cleaning everything, and the 4 Cories are just bustling with activity. I can't figure out how to get the 5 other Cories out of the 12G still without needing to break it down. Maybe will have to do that too.

25% PWC is on the schedule. Just watching them and feeding my Firemouths their favorite! Hikari Algae Wafers!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453662798.074156.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453662657.099149.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I am pretty excited, I mean really excited!!!

This was the mess that I had been hating to look at.
60074-albums11380-picture69726.jpg

When the water clears a little more, after the pwc, I will show you the new scape...and plants!!!

Oh here is a pic of the Anubias Nana Pinto that I never got a pic up of - that I got about about 3 months ago. There are actually 2 like this, in two different style tanks so I hopefully don't kill them (they seem fine so far, but the crazy cost makes me cautious). I am sending a chunk to another keeper so I can kinda be assured of not losing it. :)
60074-albums11380-picture69727.jpg

Last edited:
Counted my swallowtail jacobfribergi x dragon blood hybrids and there are 20 left of the 22, so in other words all are accounted for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I see a couple boesemani's?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup.

As a side note, I have a friend/breeder I will be picking up some little baby Boesemani (will need to be in a baby tank) as well as larger juvenile to nearly adult sized Turquoise Rainbows for the 72G. Unknown how many, just whatever he has available.

Had been hoping to adopt another larger female as the male beats her up too much, so far none.

Will likely just get a new one from a particular lfs where I got these 2 from (they are nicely colored, large and beautiful), over hour drive (one way) so don't get there too often, but if I am gonna be spending the higher price I see them going for, I'd rather get her there and get a quality specimen.

Just finished my pwc and added in the (adopted- with more friends to follow) Clown Loach from QT and the 9 Neons.

Trying to decide if I have enough energy to tear into the 12G. I just might since I can focus on other pressing stuff for the rest of the week.

If I do then I can get out the Peppered Cories to hang with their friend in the 72G who's been waiting for them for awhile now, and move the Melini Cories and close down a tank!!! And switch the old 12G Edge cube with the new one including a working light (that has been sitting new unused for over a month).

There is already a huge mess so what's a few more towels to wash! (trying to get the motivation up.) (y)

Calculated the cost of the supplies for the pisto tank, it's going to cost $83.43 without tax or shipping so I'm guessing it will be around $100 in total which means I still need $30 before I can order everything. I will be ordering:

*Malaysian driftwood - small
*Malaysian driftwood - large
*Fluval Plant and shrimp stratum, 8.8 pound bag
*Sponge filter
*Finnex stingray LED clip light.

This will all be for a 10g pisto tank

Calculated the cost of the supplies for the pisto tank, it's going to cost $83.43 without tax or shipping so I'm guessing it will be around $100 in total which means I still need $30 before I can order everything. I will be ordering:

*Sponge filter

Sounds Great!!!

So rescaped the 72G - 40% pwc
cleared out the 15G column - no fish
Took down the OLD 12G Edge & placed the fish into the 72G
Decided not to set up the brand new 12G Edge yet because I don't have the substrate was thinking of.

Emptied the 6.6G newer tank of 1 Betta and 11 or 12 Melini Cories. Deciding what to do with the Melini Cories, I am leading towards the 72G. If I can get my new substrate in the next couple of days maybe not...???

Found one of the Peppered Cories from the 12G which I have been watching for about 10 days since I saw it had a little grey scar looking thing I wanted to get a closer look so kept him out of the mix.

The Betta is seeming to need some attention he's looking sad and a little sluggish and bloated. I will put both of them into a little QT bucket. See what happens.

Starting to get rid of a few things (sorting out), and now have to clean up the gigantic mess I have made. Have to clean out 2 tanks of substrate, yuck muck!

I have 2 buckets full of misc. wood rocks decos plants, etc. Left overs from the tanks. The stuff from the 12G will go back into the New 12G.

Moved some electrical plugs/strips and consolidated them.

Replanted a bunch of little plants in the Mr. Aqua/ TT tank added a filter.
Whew...

Mounted my strip timer inside the stand and hid the wires, tested parameters on both tanks, did a pwc on the 10g, mixed up my dry fertz for liquid dosing, did some very slight rearranging on the 36g.

*Sponge filter

You sure you need all that stuff? I'd go with regular sand as substrate, unless you're planning on shrimp, and you can dirt the tank or use some root tabs rather than spend the money on a bag of that stuff. You can also make a DIY sponge filter, if you already have all the components then it should be cheaper than online. Just sayin :)

You sure you need all that stuff? I'd go with regular sand as substrate, unless you're planning on shrimp, and you can dirt the tank or use some root tabs rather than spend the money on a bag of that stuff. You can also make a DIY sponge filter, if you already have all the components then it should be cheaper than online. Just sayin :)

I'm just trying to get a jungle in there so I figured a high quality substrate to provide lots of nutrients and root growth. And what kind of dirt should I buy? I really want to do that but I wasn't sure how to bc of water cloudiness and i am trying to set this tank up pretty quickly as it is already cycled. And I don't have the stuff for a DIY sponge filter

I'm just trying to get a jungle in there so I figured a high quality substrate to provide lots of nutrients and root growth. And what kind of dirt should I buy? I really want to do that but I wasn't sure. And I don't have the stuff for a DIY sponge filter

Just get top soil. I got a 30-45 pound bag for $2 at ACE. Dirting isn't hard, just you have to make sure you get all the dirt covered with a sand or gravel cap before you fill up the tank (Something I regret not doing) Don't know if you saw Laeris's thread, but she used a different kind of soil that messed up her tank and she had to restart. Top soil is what you should get.

Just get top soil. I got a 30-45 pound bag for $2 at ACE. Dirting isn't hard, just you have to make sure you get all the dirt covered with a sand or gravel cap before you fill up the tank (Something I regret not doing) Don't know if you saw Laeris's thread, but she used a different kind of soil that messed up her tank and she had to restart. Top soil is what you should get.

Okay thank you. Topsoil it is than, I really wanted dirt but I didn't know what type to put in and some people had different preferences when I researched it.

Back
Top Bottom