What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I drove home to visit mom and dad today. While I was in town there, I decided to swing by an LFS that had seriously gone downhill in the recent years. I'm happy to say they've turned things around nicely. So much so, that I picked up some more Kuhlie's from them, and when they offered me a handful of 1/2" krib fry for next to nothing I couldn't resist. To top it off they threw in a bag of brine shrimp hatchlings for free.

Now I just have to rehome a few as I only wanted a few females for my community tank. I may just change it up and keep a single male. We'll see how it goes. Right now they're hanging out in the fry tank with the guppy fry, and seem to be busy enough chasing eachother they're leaving the fry alone.

Dosed last night for the Anchor worms and fed Prazi again 3 days now in a row. Did a 15G pwc before tonights dosage and added the mineral mix to keep the KH up.

Most of the mess of the worms seem gone, but the one Rainbow fish still has some residue on the side of its face. Its one eye is gone all the way now but seems to be healing. Has a red gill too, the one next to the damaged eye. He's the worst.

The one Guppy was looking bad but did seem to look better today, but not that much better that I feel its out of the woods yet.

The unexpected early arrival of company which was coming next week mixed things up a bit from the schedule of things I had planned. So glad I did the pwc when I did.

Took a couple pics!
Rock Flower Anemone with Sexy Shrimp
60074-albums14535-picture70566.jpg

4 Anemone Shrimp - aka Sexy Shrimp - Finally all 4 as I hadn't seen itare together, I thought for the last 3 weeks I had lost one.
60074-albums14535-picture70568.jpg

Rehomed my Denison's. Off to 125 gallons of swimming space. Gonna miss them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can't catch a break right now ups and down like a roller coaster ride but not as much fun.

New adoption Rainbow died. Other fish seem fine - In that tank.

Then I kept seeing the Neons schooling next to the inlet of the FX-5 filter is like a blaster of water and they don't usually hang out there as a school, just ocassional couple swimming through that area. After chasing them out of that spot 20 min later they were there again. Then saw the Cories darting up for air more often. THEN about an hour later they were panting and breathing fast.

So I think I over did the feeding again with the medicated flakes on the 72G. I did a 50+% pwc and this time it was suggested to me to use a hose and I got the hook up to work from the filter to remove the water with a little help. Then I used a 5G bucket to put it back. Still a lot of buckets ~8. Really tired now!

Thinking I might prefer buying a new faucet for my bathroom sink as the present one doesn't have any threads to use to hook up the Python to - no way to hook up an adapter.

I AM going to find a way to remedy my water changing to auto water changing option.

Things are status quo in the other tanks.

Got to talk about the fish and tanks to company and show off fish, invert and tank pics. THAT part was very fun!

Need to buy a new bottle of Prime, almost out - again. Think I need a bigger bottle.

Oh, during the 72G pwc sure I saw a fry fish of some sort swimming in the giant Vals/Eel Grass, probably an extra Guppy that made it in with the Neons. The other 2 Guppy fry are still in the breeder net.

Also removed a bunch of half dead leaves and misc. leaves which had become separated from their plants. Mostly Eel Grass segments. The Angel fish pick at and eat them. Just got more green food for the fish the other day, hoping that helps make them happy enough they stop munching on the salad bar.

Well an hour later, no dead fish in the 72G yet. So that's good news.

Going to do pwc on my boraras tank hopefully help the Ich. This tank is seriously driving me insane it's been constant heartache! I just wish Gonzo would take company in his new tank when it comes I'd close the boraras tank down. We'll see ?
So still fighting ich day 9 and still spotty! Boraras are looking not so good, I'm really not wanting to lose them ?
Found a dead boraras ? during pwc so sad.
Hope everything works out ok for you Autumn.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Last edited:
Set up a 10g tank tonight to house the platy juveniles as a grow-out tank. They'll start moving tomorrow. I'm going to keep it simple: just a rock for decoration and some floating plants so they feel comfortable. Once they're grown out and at the LFS, I'll decorate it properly and maybe turn it into a (all male) guppy tank.

(I realize this is a bit small --I'd rather do this in a 20-long-- but the juvies are still small. The AC20 filter is a bit over-capacity for this tank, and I'll be doing 10% per day water changes.)

Plants started pearling for once, thinks it cause i had to water circulation i dont have much surface agitation( very very small ripples)think i wasnt getting enough co2 or was dissolving really fast with high circulation. Started getting BBA. Guess will see if the bba subdues or goes away.
Pics
Hydro sp. Japan
Growing really good top left corner
207c3a7f7fb626155943ae9ba6310510.jpg

3ba00a3b8fd4571b954a3af95b0b1d6d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Also, getting some more orange zebra otos. Gonna drip acclimating them as long as i can. Dont want these dying ?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Shellyx - After thinking of your post from the 6th - if you have a bacterial infection the higher temps might be accelerating the infection. You mentioned the Boraras Briggitae when you got some having a few with no tails, perhaps it went away to a degree but came back now. It is possible you have the 2 issues, ich and bacterial infection.

All these sicknesses are are making me heart sick in thinking of it.
~~~~~

Came home from work to a smelly tank, it was cloudy this morning.

The 46G QT tank with the Anchor worm issue. Foul.

Decided to get a good cleaning done on it. Started with getting hte water level down, then vac'ing the decaying plant bits and misc muck. It is bare bottom but has some DW and plants and a couple larger stones.

Then found 3 fungus covered fish, two were Guppy girls and one was a bigger fish not too sure if it was the big huge Guppy I had it was pretty much a giant fuzz ball.

For some reason the way the filter circulates things, the bodies must have been hiding under the DW, because I looked for more dead ones yesterday and didn't see anything.

Rinsed out the AC 110 filter and in the bottom was one of the Super Red BN plecos.

In QT. Presently have 2 large Angels (previously from the 72G) saw 2 Plecos including the one from the filter, ~5, maybe 6 Guppy girls, 1 Clown Pleco, and the Bronze Cory.

Did a ~2/3rd pwc - added the minerals to the water as I refilled. The fish seemed a wee bit stressed but at least now they aren't in toxic water. The lights have been off since the pwc and am about to go back over and see how they are looking after an hour, need to add the last 2 buckets of water here soon. Trying to do the water change slowly since the bad and the clean water are so different.

I am tired.

The other tanks are looking okay.

Last night in the 12G, the Mexican Swords aka Xiphophorus helleri Rio Otapa were notably larger than the other tank mates and I am thinking they should get moved soon so they can have nice large open spaces. One is obviously a male, brightly colored and one is very large. Two are kinda small and more pale.

That's what I've been thinking Autumn, I've already euthanized 3 and 8 have died. Really struggling with the Ich at the moment nothing is working. Started the metronidazole hopefully it will help.
Sorry about your fish ? so sad.

Well, spent the whole day setting up Gonzos 70g, we're now in agony! It all went smoothly thank goodness. Added his sand and filter's, I'll watch his parameters for a few days.
I'm off for a cup of coffee ? I'll take better pic's tomorrow, keeping the light of today so he can settle. 1473351702131.jpg1473351721094.jpg

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

That's what I've been thinking Autumn, I've already euthanized 3 and 8 have died. Really struggling with the Ich at the moment nothing is working. Started the metronidazole hopefully it will help.
Sorry about your fish ? so sad.

Well, spent the whole day setting up Gonzos 70g, we're now in agony! It all went smoothly thank goodness. Added his sand and filter's, I'll watch his parameters for a few days.
I'm off for a cup of coffee ? I'll take better pic's tomorrow, keeping the light of today so he can settle. View attachment 289185View attachment 289186

Your fish are so lucky they get to watch sponge bob.

Pwc on 5 tanks. Lost two guppies this week, and can't figure out why. Only thing I can come up with is intestinal blockage after I fed the last of the brine shrimp. All parameters were good, first one was a shock, second one I saw coming as she was breathing heavy and hid in the tank instead of greeting me when I walked up to it. Quarantined her, and the next morning she was laying on her side on the bottom. :(

Also dirted the 55 that has been sitting in my shop. Planted the spare plants I've been keeping around for it so they don't melt on me. It's sitting out next to the shop so it will get a few hours of full Sun a day. Need to finish refinishing the stand so I can move it inside.

I finished cleaning the sand, added the final touches to the tank, then filled it. Put on the heater, light and filter. Added some brine shrimp, and some media from an established tank to the filter. .. Woot!

Want to stock 2 blue Rams, a Cory, and cardinals. Well, that's what I'm thinking. It's a 68lt tank but I think only 58lts water went into it after the decorations took up space. I did lose count of the buckets of water - I used rainwater to keep it soft, and some boiled hard water to warm it up. Oh and I added a bacterial pouch called Splosht

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473416214.744519.jpg

Pwc on my bettas tank, he's doing really well ?
Pwc on my boraras, fed metronidazole and sadly euthanized 4 found 1 dead on the filter ? 2 dead shrimp! So im not very happy such a sad tank ?
Just going to do a pwc on Gonzos, he's setting in well and enjoying the space ?1473424492694.jpg1473424511488.jpg1473424536196.jpg

70 gallon elephant nose tank.

Lost a kuhlie today, he was laying on his side gasping on the bottom with what looked like a huge lump of pond snail eggs on him. Quarantined him, but he was gone a few hours later. ?

After that I tested his tank and tried counting kuhlies, but the little buggers don't sit still. Best I could get was up to 9 for sure when I know I put 13 total in. Where are they going?

Sat and watched the fry tank for a bit, those guys are getting way to used to me. I put my hand in the tank and they're swimming through my fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lost a kuhlie today, he was laying on his side gasping on the bottom with what looked like a huge lump of pond snail eggs on him. Quarantined him, but he was gone a few hours later. ?

After that I tested his tank and tried counting kuhlies, but the little buggers don't sit still. Best I could get was up to 9 for sure when I know I put 13 total in. Where are they going?

Sat and watched the fry tank for a bit, those guys are getting way to used to me. I put my hand in the tank and they're swimming through my fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry you lost him. Don't dispair that more a gone. They are excellent at hiding. I have one that I hardly ever see but I spot him once a month or so.

Tom at work built a new rack full of (12)20gl longs. What do ya think they should be stocked with? Also next weekend at work build another rack with (18) 10gl tank maybe (14)10gl an few 20gl longs. Remodeling the the store. Nikos reef is the name

Gave Gonzo a pwc today in his new tank, been doing it daily just incase of a mini cycle. He's really enjoying the space can't believe how big he's grown!
Pwc on my bettas tank, he's looking fine thinking of adding an apple snail but I'm concerned he'll nip it ?
Pwc on the boraras tank, been cleaning it daily since I have ich and a bacteria infection.
Had 61 boraras now I have 32 such a sad tank ? think I'll lose more before I'm finished treatment.
Pleco's are doing well, no spots and busy zooming around the tank Lol.
Think that's it, so tired!

70 gallon elephant nose tank.

Glad the Pleco is getting better shellyx, so sad about the rest. Gonzo's new tank is quite beautiful! Bowfronts are so sculptural and nice to look at!!!

Kwakatoo - Try getting a large DW which will help reduce the pH, also just as a safety precaution against heavy metals and weird stuff from the atmosphere in your rain water, consider using Prime or other treatment that will render the possible toxins harmless!!!

Ruutah - Sorry to hear of the loss of the Kuhli. They do hide well. Internal parasites could be an issue. I started treating all my new fish in QT with Metro food to help avoid that. Watch for their poo and see if there might be any clues.

Been working a lot and have company so things heve been a little out of order.

Haven't seen any further Anchor worms. I see one odd scale on the Angelfish and am hoping it is a bump and not a worm spot!!!

Spent a little time looking over possible online purchases of CRS or PRL shrimp. Someone local has some reasonably priced CRS and might try and get a look at them. There are all grades in the tank and I just don't know it is for culls or just a random scoop of CRS (better deal!!!)

Trying to reduce feeding quantities for all the tanks. Seems I am over feeding STILL! They always look hungry! lol

The 2 baby guppies living in the breeder net have become fairly large fry now and looks like one is a female, because of the black tail like the other females. Thinking of moving the white cloud Mountain Minnows to the 12G Edge tank since they are getting bigger and eat shrimp babies.

Need to do a pwc on the QT.

Lost 2 guppies and the kuhli in that tank last week.

Got sick of losing fish and decided to treat the tank. Just finished administering the second 1/2 dose of meds to that tank for external and gill parasites. Water changes will happen a day later this week. Then I'll repeat next weekend after they've had a bit of time to recover and a pair of water changes. Then I'll treat for internal parasites.

Otherwise... I found out my 55 I snagged off CL for cheap leaks. Go figure. I'll just reseal it one afternoon when I have the time to pull it apart. Till then it's out in front of my shop and holding my extra plants.

Positive note... I have a line on a 400 gallon plywood tank for next to nothing. I'm thinking the bearded dragon needs a monster terrarium. ?

Back
Top Bottom