What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Received the new fish pic posted above in post #12934

He was perfectly packaged. Had a heat pack and was in spunky spirits and got put into his tank after about 15 min of acclimation in fresher water plus his new tank water. Swimming around and fed a little bit this evening. He's sleeping on the dense plants I didn't get around to thinning out yet.

Betta is much more red orange than the pumpkin color. I am hoping he will get more orange like his pic. The travels are a little hard on them, this was a previously imported fish from Thailand, but only traveled from the southern USA in 2 days to me. His arrival bag water was about identical temp to the tank water!!!

So far so good.

Laughed at the young Crayfish. Had dropped a pellet in when I couldn't locate his hiding place to drop it in front of him. Saw a Mystery snail and dropped it in next to it instead. In a minute the Cray appeared was pushing away the big Mystery snail and grabbed his food and ran off!

300 Gallon Outdoor Tank

Hello AA...

Nice weather today. Need to remove and replace half the tank water in my outdoor tank. The goldfish and Rosy Red Minnows survived the winter and are healthy as ever. The goldfish are orange and black and the minnows pink and silver. I've been siphoning the tank water into the garden and the Iris and Day Lilies are four to six inches high already.

B

Did a complete rescape of my 10G to create a lot more caves and tunnels since I just received my first pair of Apistogrammas.

Looked over the young Congo Tetras. They were hungry this evening and ate a lot. They are about the size of Neon Tetras now, I can't believe how fast they have grown in a couple weeks. I want to put them into the 72G in the next few days.

At the lfs Friday I saw some very beautiful Congo Tetra young adults, still youngish but with very nice color in the males. That day I was not going home afterwards and didn't buy them.

Then Saturday evening I had to get different SW sand, I recalled the fish so checked them out getting ready to buy them, and saw one with a fuzzy spot on its mouth and I thought about Columnaris, and just skipped that. Thankful that if I didn't buy them before!

Sad though as they were nice looking.

Worked through the plan (mentally) to transition the 2 SW nanos to the big tank. The 46G SW transitional tank is clearing up some again after adding the 20 gallons of SW yesterday. The Salinity is right on target and I have never mixed up salt before for a full tank or even for a pwc. (just a couple gallons in an urgent situation once)

Happy about that.

Moving the 50 Aquaclear to the SW with the bulk filter pad and polishing pad to get the silt out tonight. Temp was up a little too much and I lowered it some. Fed the tank for the live rocks BB.

Further disappointment on another Thai Betta. Probably not another marble gene Betta for me.
60074-albums14771-picture72024.jpg

This fish is going to be called Picasso...
Is now this
60074-albums14771-picture72046.jpg

4 days, maybe he will orange up, but body changing to a pretty blue, though not orange.

I mean no uncare for the fish - he seems to be strong and active, a little shy. Not his fault he isn't orange like his baby pic. Want to add him to the 72G if he will get along with the other fish.

60074-albums14771-picture72045.jpg

60074-albums14771-picture72044.jpg

Picasso / new Betta is doing well actively comes for food every time I make any noise around the tank.

The Congo Tetras are the size of Neons now, and will be going to the 72G after a FX-5 filter clean in the next couple days.

The big news tonight is the 46G SW tank looks okay and is clear - still empty but after feeding the tank for the 3 days like I had 10 fish in there, the live sand and cycled rock are keeping the ammonia at 0. Yipee, SW fish will be transitioned in the next 3 days.

Need to buy a gob of pods!

Helped a friend to set up a little nano SW with some cycled rock and snails and tiny Hermit Crabs. There is LS in there too and working on a filter.

Exciting to be getting to the action part of these plans!

Got the 12G Mr. Aqua emptied of the fish and rocks and snails.

I added a wafer to make sure I didn't miss any snails, So far nothing.

Will be going to scoop up the cruddy sand and put it into a bucket, then clean up the tank. Wanting to clean up the sand too maybe. Save it for some other type project.

Had to check for Bristle worms and removed what i could.

Also took about 45 minutes to remove all of the Black Codium. Some had melted a little . Had to pick off the algae clumps.

Moved the 50 Aquaclear to the new SW tank and added floss and a pouch of Phos-guard. Hoping to keep the silicates low and avoid some diatoms, fingers crossed.

Added the frags to the front of the tank.

Moved the Endler female to the 12G Edge nano fish tank in case she gives birth in the next couple weeks maybe save the babies.

First thing this morning was doing testing on several of hte tanks was moving fish around to to help make sure things go well.

So far so good.

Fed frozen defrosted Cobalt coral food to pretty much every fish today. All fish enjoyed it with the exception of the Imported Thai Betta, just ignored all the little bits.

Still not sure what to do with the Crayfish when I move over the Congo Tetras.

Got the 20G Long emptied.

Found a few Endler Fry 5 survived, I think she is a new mother and it is certainly possible the Congo Tetras ate some.

Acclimated the Congo Tetras to the 72G, since there are 12 or 13 of them haha- thought I counted 14 going into the bucket and then think I only counted 12, so not sure. Didn't see any on the floor.

Was getting ready to rinse and ditch the 20G to the garage to make more room AND then found the Mystery snails left me a surprise. Under the little HOB filter a 2 inch clutch of eggs.

Though of moving them to a smaller tank, but I will be gone for a couple weeks next month and figured it would be safer to keep the film on the tank and the extra 10G of water.

Rinsed out the filter and the poop in the rocks from fish and shrimp and got them all new water with added calcium.

Added a prefilter and put the little Endler babies back along with the Ghost Cray. And the many snails, and the 3 Blue Mystery snails. I thought I was going to get away with breaking down another tank.

Also last night got the algae magnet out of the SW nano I took down and put it on the 12G Edge and wow the front glass looks great, it is the kind actually made for an Edge tank.

Tore down the biube today and rinsed the gravel and under gravel sponges, added a bit of root tabs and put it all back together. The detritus needed to come out. IMG_0432.jpg

Igor is pissed and refuses to come out.

I made a floating barrier for my plants given to me by some amazing members.

Cpprzwd.jpg

Red roots from Stooker.

I made a floating barrier for my plants given to me by some amazing members.

Cpprzwd.jpg

Red roots from Stooker.

Very nice!

So it has been a big chore but I got the 2 nanos down and now have the temporary 46G bowfront SW tank 90% - still need to get the light figured out.

You just can't think ahead all the little things, like about 30-40 shells from demised snails critters, moving tiny 2-3mm Limpets, avoiding little Bristleworms, finding tube worms and trying to save them after lifting their rock sand tubes, tiny little pieces from the Codium, pieces of corals, and tiny mini Feather dusters type creatures - the size of big pencil leads. Live snails that live in the sand... so many tiny pieces of coral rock from the 6.6G and 12G which seem out of place in a 46G.

I have 2 containers of small pieces of Codium which I would be concerned it getting sucked up in the filter and very small pieces of rock rubble an inch to few inches and old dead corals and coral frags.

Had a breeder net for them, and then found when I pulled it out of the box, there was a frame and NO NET! Not very useful... I am going to buy one tomorrow and hold all the small pieces of Codium and the trenta starbucks cup of rocks and and 2 8 ounce cups of shells and little stuff.

Also the filter had a bunch of those tiny feather duster type guys, not sure if they are still alive but I am running an air bubbler just in case. I am sending the filter over to a friend with the SW Edge tank in her new set up, where if they are alive they can continue their lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So one thing which I did was to de-rim or de-top my SW Edge tank.

Last year maybe summer, I dropped a cup on the top and made a V shaped crack in the top. Not the sides or anything.

I tried taking the top off back then, but the razor blade idea only got part of the top where the cracked V was... And it was full of little creatures and my one Yellow Goby. So desisted the removal.

Now have a little 6.5 G rimless nano - not positive what I will do with it. Just rinsed it off after removing the last of the sand and set it in the storage area!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have had numerous Mystery Snail matings over the last week or so. Right now they are in the 5G Fluval Spec V with a Betta. Can only put the water level down a little bit or the filter system will not be working correctly, and would lose a bunch of BB probably in the filter chamber with a bare sponge.

~~~~

Just a little thinking of maybe doing a switch of the Snails, Crayfish (QT tank) to the 12G Edge and moving the nano fish to the 12G Mr. Aqua - a slightly wider tank.

Maybe. That would be down to 6 tanks still trying to get to 5:whistle:.

Last edited:
Skimming the unread and seeing titles like “discouraged” “giving up” and thinking ok I don’t need read the drama. Then I get to “bare bottom” and regain all hope. Lol

Can not believe how much time this is all taking to get the nano SW tanks break down completed.

Found two lights for the SW - one too long and one too short, lol!

Not the remote for the Orbit Marine yet...

4 baby Endlers are still alive and growing.

Young Ghost crayfish is growing, was all white before the last molt. It is not an orange and not a blue, looking more burnished red/russet color. Unclear as what it might grow up into at this stage.

Was hoping for the red, white and blue /purple variety. Surprise Ghost Cray. Was a good deal so which ever. He is pretty cute and holds on upside down under the floating wood. Clamps onto the wood while trying to grab wafers and pellets I drop down. Pretty much misses every time but he tries.

Tried out the mini pond pump I got at the CAS Auction, works but is good for a little bowl or small feature not a bigger pond.

Rinsed the SW sand removed when transferring everything to the new SW 46G tank. Still have a bunch of tiny stuff to finish finding a place for. Things that were fine in a nano or a storage container growing out, but to consolidate all of it and just have only 1 tank and no other SW containers. Using some breeder nets to hold the macroalgae, Codium and Chaetomorpha.

Saw some really cool macroalgaes from Algae Barn which is located really close to me. Maybe will buy some!

Still need to get the plug set up established for the 46G SW.

I put the Thai Betta Phoenix's Tank Light on a simple timer this morning! I am hoping this to be a life changer, lol.

Planning on moving 2 tanks tomorrow. I am feeling like this tank stuff is my second job. Going to get the 5G changed to a 12G. Hoping tomorrow.

Betta to the 72G.

As I am consolidating fish and inverts to less tanks. The Crayfish is the one I am wondering about where to place. I wanted to do a little patio pond, but not until late May due to travel plans.

Wanting to dig out timers for the other 3 small tanks!!!

Been planting plants out doors and cleaning and putting away fish tank stuff which was in all corners of the home and yard. Like I mentioned almost like another job.

Haven't posted here in a while. In on day 9 of my first into EI fertilization using GLA micros and macros. A bit too early to say, but seems the plants are looking a lot more vibrant.

Haven't posted here in a while. In on day 9 of my first into EI fertilization using GLA micros and macros. A bit too early to say, but seems the plants are looking a lot more vibrant.

That seems a promising start!

~~~~~~~~~

Posted a couple pics of the Mystery Cray
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/mystery-ghost-crayfish-369187.html#post3523612

He's adorable - was flailing his little claws out of the water to get me to give him a wafer while hanging on the side of his floating log.

Back
Top Bottom