What is on my blue ram's tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fencer164

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. Woke up this morning to find this on my german blue ram. They always have had a random spot but I have never seen something like this. I have had them for about a month now and they eat just fine and love swimming around their 75 gal tank. Everyone is peaceful. Their tank mates are 4 glo tiger barbs, 3 glo tetras, 4 cory cats, 5 young clown loches (just growing out in this tank then will be transferred), 1 kuhli loach and 2 ghost shrimp. Tank has been fully cycled and is 3 months old. Water parameters this morning: PH low: 7.6 PH high: 7.4 (assuming somewhere at 7.4-7.5, the GBRs were raised in 7.4) ammonia: between 0 to 0.25 Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 30ppm
20170709_110318.jpg20170709_110324.jpg

Attachments

• 20170709_110203.jpg
    20170709_110203.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 125
I have read Seachem Kanaplex can successfully test columnaris. Also there is Furan-2 by API. I think Furan-2 is more of a broad spectrum treatment than Kanaplex is. I hope this can be of some help

It may be this or may be that or it might be nothing but a little tank fungus growing over a fin nip. Judging by the location on the rams tail and the noting that some other tankmates are tiger barbs its a possibility.
If it turns out to be a wound fungus I have had good luck treating it with an addition WC per week until it goes away. You might do a temporary bump up on your temp. 80 - 82.
I don't use meds in any of my tanks. Too much risk to the beneficial bacteria. My fish usually die from old age or an occasional battle death.
If I were to use meds in a similar situation I would use Melafix (spelling?). I've read that it works as an antiseptic and will not hurt the bacterial bed.
Good luck.

With rams it's always something...
P.s. rams tanks should maintain a temp of 80-82.

Hey guys. Woke up this morning to find this on my german blue ram. They always have had a random spot but I have never seen something like this. I have had them for about a month now and they eat just fine and love swimming around their 75 gal tank. Everyone is peaceful. Their tank mates are 4 glo tiger barbs, 3 glo tetras, 4 cory cats, 5 young clown loches (just growing out in this tank then will be transferred), 1 kuhli loach and 2 ghost shrimp. Tank has been fully cycled and is 3 months old. Water parameters this morning: PH low: 7.6 PH high: 7.4 (assuming somewhere at 7.4-7.5, the GBRs were raised in 7.4) ammonia: between 0 to 0.25 Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 30ppm
View attachment 301287View attachment 301288

It's deffinatly not Columnaris, as a person with the same problem none of the symptoms are the same. The fish is still healthy and it's only on the tail no other symptoms.

Ive had the same problem since I got my ram keen to know what it is!

Same same

NjY23e3

Mines gottern worse so I'm going to start treating with elevated temp and melafix

Melafix will not fix anything. You need to use the appropriate meds.

You can't use the appropriate meds if you don't know what it is?
If it is fin damage melafix will help fix the area.
"MELAFIX, heals open wounds abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes re-growth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water."
Not to mention it's a natural treatment.

The one thing Fencer164 and I both have in common is the nitrates in our tank making the most likely cause to be our nitrate levels which over long periods of time can affect the fish, not to mention if there was previous damage done to the fins before bring them home from our LPS. Bacteria on open wounds cause infection. Making the most probable solution to be melafix.... and a water change

Brookster is right per usual in my experience (4 years running around 20 tanks) Melafix is like buying a bottle of sparkling water and calling it penicillin

You can't use the appropriate meds if you don't know what it is?
If it is fin damage melafix will help fix the area.
"MELAFIX, heals open wounds abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes re-growth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water."
Not to mention it's a natural treatment.

The one thing Fencer164 and I both have in common is the nitrates in our tank making the most likely cause to be our nitrate levels which over long periods of time can affect the fish, not to mention if there was previous damage done to the fins before bring them home from our LPS. Bacteria on open wounds cause infection. Making the most probable solution to be melafix.... and a water change
Id just change water like I was getting paid for it.. that's me though. Meds don't fix poor maintenance routines. Melafix is tea tree oil.. it will form a faomy slick on your waters surface, that's about it.

I think I've been directed to the right disease which I did not know too much about but the good news it's not fatal and not caused from bad water quality but from small cuts on the skin. However it's a viral infection and the best thing is it usually cures it's self after time.
Lymphocystis - Info and Cure | Reef Sanctuary

Back
Top Bottom