What to put in 55 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The acei are pushing the size limitations of a 55 gallon. They are more open water swimmers and like to have a good bit of room verses rock dwelling mbuna.

Plecos and most cats don't pose a threat to most Malawi cichlids so they leave them alone for the most part. With that stock list they shouldn't be a problem.

How about these to replace the labs. The males and females are different in colors so it will look like you have different kinds to people that don't know better ;)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

Last edited:
I agree w Andrew. The acei are iffy. I have2 of them in My 90 and wish the tank had more swim area. And the saulosi is amazing. My favorite mbuna. Look up pseudotropheus flavus and cynotilapia white top hara. Both are beautiful. I'm also partial to rusty cichlids. And look at a couple plecos that don't get large instead of the shark (like bristle nose)

What to put in 55 Gallon? DON'T IGNORE

I have a 55 gallon tank but I have no idea what I would like to put in it! Can you please post some suggestions!

Some fish that I DON'T want...

-Angelfish
-Ram Cichlid
-Community Fish (Platy, Guppy...)
-Cory Catfish
-Planted tank fish (Angels, Rainbowfish, Ram Cichlids and all of that stuff)
-Discus

Some fish that I DO want...

-Sharks (Preferably Bala)
-Predator Fish
-Big Cichlids
-Big Catfish
-Just big fish in general

I am open to other suggestions too. I am just trying to stay away from the community tank and the planted tank. I like the bigger fish cause they are cool.

Post many ideas and I will discuss them with you.

A 55 gallon really ISN'T all that big. bala sharks are actually out of the question. You could probably do a rainbow or red tailed. Even those are pushing it sizewise.

If you want a shark get ONE of either a red tailed or a rainbow shark, you can't have both or more than one of them. I can't think of any other sharks that are suitable for a 55g, it's not really that big of a tank so your options are limited.

Bala Sharks are out, get too big for a 55G. The other fish can work although you'll need to be more specific to be sure.

Get the biggest Gourami you can find and join him with about 30 neon tetras. It will be a thing of beauty. Your Gourami will just be your centerpiece. If you insist on predator types then do not get any of these fish.

If you are looking at larger fish you could probably get by with a small school of rainbows. They get to a decent size.

55g is prob on the small size but you might be able to do a group of Exodon paradoxus.

How about a mbuna tank? Aggressive fish that will fight amongst themselves a lot. They are also large and colorful. Also, they are absolutely NOT a planted tank sort of fish. Seems to me that it meets all of your criteria.

55g is prob on the small size but you might be able to do a group of Exodon paradoxus.

I just got a school of 13 exodons (1-1.5") over the weekend and put them in my 55 by themselves, i'd definitely recommend them.

A 55 gallon tank isn't big enough for a bunch of big fish. The fish you are going to be interested in need 100+ gallons. Red Devils, jack Dempsey, bala sharks ect ect.

Mbuna Tank

+1 for the white top hara

From past experience I think the white tail acei are a bit hardier than the yellow tail

What are some of the larger Catfish? How many Severum could I put in there? I'm thinking maybe a south american cichlid tank? Any ideas on what fish could go in that?

What are some of the larger Catfish? How many Severum could I put in there? I'm thinking maybe a south american cichlid tank? Any ideas on what fish could go in that?

Problem with a 55 gallon is that a lot of the more aggressive cichlid species get in that 12-18+ inch range so it really limits what you can keep in it long term. I have a 125 and a 55 but regret not getting a 75 instead, the 6 extra inches in width really makes a difference when it comes to full grown fish being able to turn around comfortably in the tank. Featherfin catfish are from Africa but was an excellent bottom feeder with my aggressive cichlids and wasn't scared of them. Maybe try 1 of them with a few small cichlids to start like a convict, salvini, severum, and green terror and thin out the group as they get bigger depending on aggression and which fish u like the most. Just an idea...

I was thinking going with 1 green terror, 2 Convict, 1 Severum, and maybe 1 parrot with a bottom feeder. Water changes will be very frequent and large. Filtration will also be high.

Fish Ive had in a 55... mbuna and angels (not in the same tank). The mbuna will take a long time to grow, not many will get to be any bigger than 6 inches some even smaller, like yellow lab, rusty and many others. They are very colorful and active, Ive had them for years in the same tank and you might have to take out one or two that are very aggressive, they are also very hardy just make sure you have at least ten of them in the tank.
Angels work also, I have a 55 with 3 very nice sized angels that I had since they were less than one inch.
I can talk about discus but that's more involved.

I was thinking going with 1 green terror, 2 Convict, 1 Severum, and maybe 1 parrot with a bottom feeder. Water changes will be very frequent and large. Filtration will also be high.

That could work. I've had severums, very nice fish for a community cichlid tank, I've had them with angels but they can grow real fast.
I think the green terror can grow very big for a 55?

I personally like growing fish, meaning I buy them at a very small size and eventually find another home for them or sell them once they start getting too large for my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom