What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

01n3on

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon aquarium. Its open top and has a 50/50 compact florescent for lighting and an AC 20 for filtration. All that's in there is a small piece of driftwood and a white sand bottom. What would you put in it for livestock?

Shrimp, get some RC's and they will reproduce lile mad. Make it densly planted and there ya go. The best and coolest thing for a small tank IMO

+1

My red cherry shrimp are among the most fascinating of my species to watch.

Well...I hate to say it but ghost shrimp are the only shrimp available in my area...

01n3on said:
Well...I hate to say it but ghost shrimp are the only shrimp available in my area...

Tons of people on here sell them, jetajockey and Severum Mama are two people right off the bat

Ok. Is maintenance any different on a shrimp tank than any other freshwater?

01n3on said:
Ok. Is maintenance any different on a shrimp tank than any other freshwater?

no. exactly the same. just be careful with ur syphon

Oooo I really like the first one...

Should I change my substrate to fluval shrimp stratum?

You could use gravel or sand if you like, but if you use a mud substrate then you don't have to dose it. Most mud substrates also have the advantage of lowering the ph a bit, and that's what most shrimp prefer.

Yeah, like the Fluval stratum or Aqua Design Amano aqua soil, they come in the shapes of tiny little mud balls. After a while, it'll smooth itself out and form a layer of mud on the bottom.

And do I vacuum the mud when doing water changes? If not, wouldn't anaerobic bacteria build up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom