What's a leoporinus fasciatus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stoneydee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw one in a fish store here - I was told they get to 7" at maturity. Just did a search and could only come up with an Eheim pic and sketchy information. Apparently, the common name is "banded leoporinus" and the Ehiem database says to 12" at maturity, minimum 32 gallon tank.

Anyone know anything about the fish? Aggression, swimming level in the tank, food, etc.?

Leporinus fasciatus is a member of the Family Anostomidae, which includes the 'headstanders'. It is a fish from Central and South America, primarily in large rivers. The maximum size of 12 inches is correct, though the largest I ever personally kept reached about 9 inches. There is one in a local lfs here in the Dallas area that is about 8 inches.

L. fasciatus is primarily herbivorous so it isn't a fish for a planted aquarium (unless you don't like your plants). They are often found in stores at a small size but they grow fairly quickly and should be given a roomy tank (55 gallon or larger). They are relatively peaceful with fish of their own size...though they are known as fin-nippers and will sometimes fight with others of their own kind. Being a riverine fish, L. fasciatus likes a tank with a current and high oxygen levels.

One thing I'd especially like to stress is that Leporinus fasciatus are GREAT jumpers. I lost my 9 inch fish when I stupidly left the tank uncovered one morning before going to work and came back to find my gorgeous L. fasciatus on the floor, deader than a stone.

To my knowledge they have never been bred in captivity so the fish you find in the stores are probably wild-caught.

Thanks for the information. It caught my eye in the store, and after what you've said, I wish I had a tank large enough for it.

Hmmmm, this fish brings back memories of my dear old dad. My father was never into aquariums but would dutifully take me when I was sooooooooooo young. I can remember him starring at a leporinus and telling me, " If you must have these silly things, why don't get a nice big one like that"?

At the time I only had a 10g tank, but just knowing it caught his eye makes me think I should keep them.

Back
Top Bottom