Whats the best way to raise pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
The pH in my tank is always at about 7.5 in the morning and 8.0 at night. What the best way to raise it? I have a hood that covers the top right noe but I'll ditch it when I get my PC in a couple weeks.
Ant other suggestion?
I heard baking soda. is that right?
thanx

Adding chemicals isn't the answer to your problem, removing the lid and increasing surface water flow is. The problem is the trapped CO2 caused from the lid. The added aeration from removing the lid will allow the waters gas exchange to flow easier blowing off the CO2 and allowing the pH to rise naturally.

Cheers
Stve

Can you replace a few sections with eggcrate for the time being? That would help a lot.

Well I got a solution for now. Used 2 Cooling fans from my last computer I built and hooked them up to a 9V power adapter and taped the fans to an opening I have on the back of my hood and viola!!
We'll see if it works to bring up my pH!

Here is an old school idea from the heratic: You could run an airstone or two :wink: The rational is that the airpump would provide a source of fresh air under the hood, the air-water exchange area would be increased by the surface area of all the bubbles, and the surface of the tank water would be agitated by the bubbles popping.

What is your alkalinity or carbonate hardness? My tank NEVER goes below a pH of 8.0. :eek:

I was told by a couple people in here that running a skimmer is basically the same thing.
I dont know how much I want air bubbles in my actual tank anyway. I dont have a sump or anything like that

Bubblers of anykind aren't going to help much. With the type of lid you have now, is it the ½ fold kind where the front part lifts up for feeding?

If so, why not just prop that up so it remains open and allows for some additional flow?

Cheers
Steve

How about a good old fashion water change? I have found that frequent and regular small water changes are the best defense against declining water parameters. Most salt contains Ph buffers, I think, and it should help maintain a consistant Ph when used on a regular basis.

Im in the middle of my first cycle so I'll change the water after.
The fans I put in the back blowing over the water are helping(i think)
Right now my pH is at 8.05
Could just be that my tank might need to stabilize a bit too seeing I've only had it running for 4 days.

I was told by a couple people in here that running a skimmer is basically the same thing.
I dont know how much I want air bubbles in my actual tank anyway. I dont have a sump or anything like that
Wouldn't help anyway, surface agitation is what promotes gas exchange. PH's pointed towards the surface or removing the glass is what helps the most.

Im in the middle of my first cycle
That could explain fluctuations of many parameters. Are you running lights? How many hours? If there is no livestock, why not remove the top for now?

pH will normally be lowest before the lights come on in the morning and highest late in the day. You can stabilize that by running a fuge with a reverse lighting pattern so you have some light 24/7.

arminkropp said:
Im in the middle of my first cycle
LOL.. would have been a benefit to know that earlier. pH fluctuations are quite normal during the cycle period and the cycle will typically play havok with alot of the chemistry in the tank during this period.

If you have highly encrusted coral life on the rock or other valuable hitchikers to preserve then I'd simpley do water changes. If the tank is being cycled with well cured LFS rock, I wouldn't bother. Just let it cycle. For now anyway, your fretting over nothing. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

sdaccord03 said:
What about kalkwasser? doesn't that raise PH? as well as other things?

JW
Sure it does but as with many types of additives in this regard, it does not just raise pH but it affects alkalinity as well as Ca. It is more than possible to have alk/Ca in a proper range and still have poor pH levels. The key is identifying the underlying environmental issue causing the lowered pH level. In this case, it's the excess nutrient caused by the cycle.

Chemical additions should be the last choice in dealing with pH issues, not the first choice unless it's directly caused by low alkalinity. Cronic pH problems are more often than not easily fixed without chemical additions of any kind.

Cheers
Steve

as was already stated, a cycling tank is far from stable in any water parameters. My pH never got over 7.8 when cycling. Now it never drops before 8.1

Back
Top Bottom