White jewel cichlid eggs...now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishNewbee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two jewels in my 55g community tank. I've been wondering since I got them (3 weeks ago) what sexes I had. This morning, I discovered that they are both watching over a batch of eggs that they laid on a rock. I have heard that the white eggs are the unfertilized ones. All of the eggs I can see are white. Does this mean that they will not hatch? The father is fanning them constantly. I don't know if I should remove them (and risk being bitten in the process) or just wait a few days and see what happens.

Also, I was told that some cichlids will change sex if you have two males, or two females in a tank for awhile. Is it possible that maybe I have two females and that is why the eggs are unfertilized?

Last question, I have also read that sometimes new breeding pairs will do this several times, laying unfertilized eggs, before getting it right and finally producing babies. I have no clue what's happening and don't want to stress these guys out if possible. It's not possible for me to move them to another tank so either way, nature will have to take it's course, but I'd still like to know what's going on and what to expect. Thanks for reading and any replies.

If you think you will be bitten, leave the eggs for a day or two. White eggs are unfertilized. The danger with leaving them too long is that they can fungus and pollute the water depending on tank size.

Many species of fish require several attempts at parenting until they get it right.

So, I noticed earlier today that the rock where the eggs once were is spotlessly clean! I saw father jewel munching around there so I'm assuming he's eaten the eggs. What I can't figure out though, is why is he still guarding this spot? He won't move from it and acts like the eggs are still there. I've heard that sometimes they might move the eggs and relocate them to a pit or something, but I really don't see them anywhere around him. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom