Who am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(1821-1890) This man was an adventurer, linguist, scholar, swordsman, rogue, genius -- he possessed wild, monstrous talents and was burdened by defects nearly as grave. Continually at odds with the sentiments of his times, his translation of the Arabian Nights and sundry Indian and Persian amatory manuals scandalized society. At the same time, he was an unmistakable Victorian.

Good luck.

"I was born in 1483 in Germany. After attending the best University in Germany, receiving my Masters Degree, I shocked my parents and friends and decided to become an Augustinian monk. A number of writings attest that this decision was made during a terrible storm.

The life of a monk during my time was hard, and consisted of fasting, prayer and work. A monk's day began at 3 am with the first hourly prayers. This time molded me, above all I found a close relationship to the Bible which characterized my later life and work.

In 1507, I was ordained as a priest and started studying Theology at the University of Erfurt. During my studies, I came into contact with the ideas of the Humanists and embraced their slogan 'Ad Fontes!' - Back to the Source! For me this meant the study of the Bible in its original Hebrew and Greek.

I began teaching and writing which went against popular church doctrine. I was told to discontinue my teachings and, rather than concede, I burned the document, along with other popular catholic books and writings. By this time, I had amassed quite a following and many other priests joined with me. For my actions, I was excommunicated by the Pope and declared a heretic.

My disassociation with the Catholic Church and the events that followed led to the formation of a new religious doctorine, which was named after me."

Who am I?

The life of a monk during Luther's time was hard, and consisted of fasting, prayer and work. A monk's day began at 3 am with the first hourly prayers. This time molded Luther, above all he found a close relationship to the Bible which characterized his later life and work.

Martin Luther? (Maybe you didn't mean to give it away in the clue!) BTW, rent "Luther" if you haven't seen it. Very good movie.

JHawk said:
The life of a monk during my time was hard, and consisted of fasting, prayer and work. A monk's day began at 3 am with the first hourly prayers. This time molded me, above all I found a close relationship to the Bible which characterized my later life and work.

Martin Luther? (Maybe you didn't mean to give it away in the clue!) BTW, rent "Luther" if you haven't seen it. Very good movie.

Give it away in the clue? Where?

*The miracle of editing* LOL

Good job...you're up!

Ok...(but I won't make it easy)

"I was born in 1909 in New York City. My father was away most of the time making "moving" pictures. I guess I was impressed with this because I took this acting thing seriously as well.

By the time I made my debut, the "moving" pictures now had sound and was becoming very popular. Most of the movies I made were based on smary, derring-do and heroic roles. I really didn't want to play the same roles as my famous father, but I played the parts of pirates, soldier and even a legendary English swordsman.

I had a reptation as being sort of a womanizer and boozer. I was married to a very famous actress. I was issued knighthood by the Queen of England."

Who am I?

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My birth year was 1959. I was a very athletic youth. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma and forced to have my right leg amputated 15 centimeters (six inches) above the knee in 1977.
In order to raise money for cancer research I started the Marathon of Hope from St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometers (3,339 miles), I was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in my lungs. I died on June 28, 1981 at age 22, but my legacy lives on. Who am I?

(this may be too easy, especially for the Canadians on AA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom