Who is eating my snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have recently noticed a lot of empty snail ( Planorbis corneus) shells in my tank. (75 gallon)

here is a list of the fish that live in this tank...

3 Angles: Pterophyllum scalare
2 Bolivian Rams: Microgeophagus altispinosa
2 German Blue Rams: Microgeophagus ramirezi
5 "Orange Flash" Cockatoo Cichlids: Apistogramma cacatuoides
7 Rummy-nosed Tetra: Hemigrammus rhodostomus
6 Cardinal Tetra: Paracheirodon axelrodi
5 Julii Cory: Corydoras julii
2 Rubberlip pleco: Chaetostoma thomsoni
3 Oto: Otocinclus mariae

i also have malaysian trumpet snails and there may be a couple of ghost shrimp living among the plants if my bolivians have not gotten them all.

who do you think is eating them? my guess is my female Apisto. i have never seen her do it, but many of the shells are near her territory.

any of the four types of cichlids you have are most likely the culprit

well i doubt it is the angels...just because i know my angels. could be the rams or apistos. they are not significaly effecting the population yet. so i am not too worried just curious.

I'd agree...all of the cichlids are suspect. They may not realize that the snails are there to perform maintenance duties and were not intended as snacks.

Corys do have barbels and while I am sure they would gobble up a snail outside it's shell, I doubt they would be able to actually get the snail out of the shell.

lmw80 said:
Corys do have barbels and while I am sure they would gobble up a snail outside it's shell, I doubt they would be able to actually get the snail out of the shell.

But loaches, notorious snail eaters, have barbels and they aid in cleaning out the snail shells. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom