Who knows how to build their own computer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best advice I was given is check out the requirements (and suggestions) of a game you want to play, and go from there. Take Half Life 2 for instance. If your machine can run this, your machine can run anything available today.

requirements
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
CD or DVD rom drive (retail version only)

suggestions
2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
CD or DVD rom drive (retail version only)

BTW, if you do decide to get CS, 1. get the silver package from www.steampowered.com , it has all the old games included, and check out ferret's site www.gamehavoc.com . I have the same screenname at that site.

One thing missing from your list is fans.

You NEED a CPU fan. get a thermaltake if at all possible, they are the absolute best (IMO) and really make a difference. I had a thermaltake make a 20 degree difference on a processor's temp from a cheap one.

Also you *might* be able to get away with no case fans (as i do... i have 4 in there and not one is plugged in), but you should really have at least one on the front sucking in, and one on the back blowing out. especially if you plan on gaming... i don't game.

-brent

My pc only have 1x9cm prosessor fan (AMD 64 +3000), 1 original graphic card fan (9600XT), psu smart-self-control-fan (Tagen 480).

Btw using XP90 processor heat sink, the best heatsink series in market (XP120 too big for me).

The reason i minimise in using fan is i am really annoyed by the noise. I am more towards "silent" pc 8)

I recommend running your other pc into the ground like you suggested earlier. The things you are looking at buying now will be either lower in price or replaced by better things.

I'm running a Petium 3, 933 Mhz
512 Mb RAM
Radeon 9600 XT
Soundblaster Live
3com nic
Windows 2k

I have no problems running games requiring less than a 2 Ghz P4. And that's at the highest graphical detail as well. I do keep my operating system running clean though, with almost nothing going on in the background. So that may make the difference, but things like Dawn of War, Star Wars Battlefront, etc. give me no issues at all.

Try following the guide here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=324

I got a PII 333mhz with 256K PC66 ram running xp pro and office 2003 apps without a problem--this guide frees up a lot of resources and will show an improvement with your gaming. It's also a good way to learn a bit more about how your computer works. I agree that running the pc to the ground is the way to go. Save your money until you can buy killer pc parts and make everyone drool.

Turns out the problem with my old PC was just the CD-ROMS. Both were bad? Anyway, it's back up and running so I'm running this one until the doors fall off.

But I will be accessing this thread when that time comes. Thanks for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom