Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Andy, have you ever shipped a pair of angelfish that looked like they were about to spawn?

They seem abt to start spawning any time. We're just curious if breaking them up and shipping them today would adversely effect them?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I cant think it would. But its always the things i cant think of that get me.

Okay, here's the deal: If they were ready to spawn, I wouldn't ship them until after they spawned. Why waste a spawn? However, since spawning does weaken the fish, I wouldn't ship the fish immediately after spawning but wait a couple days after I had given them some highly nutritious feedings to get them back into shape. That's point #1.
#2 is to how to ship them. If they aren't going to be in a bag for long, I would ship them together in the bag. ( Obviously you would use a larger bag.) If not, ship in separate bags. But here's the issue, when you split a pair for whatever reason, it's not always guaranteed that they will rejoin up as a pair. Also, when you move a pair, there are no guarantees that they will ever spawn again ( hence the reason why I wouldn't waste the spawn. ;) ) as in my case with my silver veil trio. Plus, I've been told countless stories from other breeders where their fish stopped spawning when they got moved to a new tank....some even in the same house. :facepalm: So you take your chances when you move breeding pairs. When given the choice, I always prefer to get younger fish and have them grow up together and pair off unless they were proven fish from other pairs that have lost a mate. There's a psychology behind making pairs.

They were brought to me yesterday. Sini bought them from a breeder i know in KC. Came home to bag them up and noticed tubes out and cleaning slate with false passes.... Wasnt sure abt shipping a fish during spawn behavior. Thank you Andy.

They were brought to me yesterday. Sini bought them from a breeder i know in KC. Came home to bag them up and noticed tubes out and cleaning slate with false passes.... Wasnt sure abt shipping a fish during spawn behavior. Thank you Andy.

To them, it was probably like a regular water change so the moving didn't matter. Shipping the fish is a whole other process. They will be in the dark, stressed, moved and shaken about and put into different water. That's a whole other ballgame. If it were me, I wouldn't ship them just yet. I'd be raising a spawn. :whistle::brows: (y)

Got another spawn from the koi pair! Watching them right now.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And now, it begins. post #1235 :lol:

I've got room for now though! These go in a 3 gallon bin. When they're free swimming the first spawn will be big enough for the 55. By the time this pair spawns again this 2nd spawn will be big enough for the 55 and the first spawn will be sellable.... I think.

I've got room for now though! These go in a 3 gallon bin. When they're free swimming the first spawn will be big enough for the 55. By the time this pair spawns again this 2nd spawn will be big enough for the 55 and the first spawn will be sellable.... I think.

Me thinks your timeline is a little too fast. We'll see :whistle::rolleyes:

Well from what I read it's 3 weeks from egg to dime sized. Is that incorrect?

By a long shot. :ROFLMAO: You will be having these fry from 8-12 weeks before selling them. I usually keep mine to nickle body size as dime size fish still are a bit small and more fragile. Seems that jump from dime to nickle also jumps stability in the fish as well. At least that's what I've been experiencing in all the time I've been doing Angels. :whistle:
Still sure you have enough tanks for more than 1 pair breeding every 2 weeks? ;);):brows:

By a long shot. :ROFLMAO: You will be having these fry from 8-12 weeks before selling them. I usually keep mine to nickle body size as dime size fish still are a bit small and more fragile. Seems that jump from dime to nickle also jumps stability in the fish as well. At least that's what I've been experiencing in all the time I've been doing Angels. :whistle:
Still sure you have enough tanks for more than 1 pair breeding every 2 weeks? ;);):brows:

We've been looking at racks for more tanks ;)

Well, my pair that had the first successful spawn did it again today! I'm going to try and see if they will have some more success. They've spawned twice before, after they raised their first group, but it looked like daddy was shooting blanks. All the eggs turned white both times. If it happens again, could the male have a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, my pair that had the first successful spawn did it again today! I'm going to try and see if they will have some more success. They've spawned twice before, after they raised their first group, but it looked like daddy was shooting blanks. All the eggs turned white both times. If it happens again, could the male have a problem?

Possibly but not usually. Even with my situation, they weren't shooting blanks but making weak fry. So the first thing you look at is water quality. Next is diet ( current diet may not be high enough in protein to make the fish produce viable fry.) If all those are fine ( which I doubt) the next step is to see if the male is even participating in the spawn by hatching the eggs yourself. If none still hatch in good clean water ( not breeder tank water) then you have an issue with the fish not the tank. If the eggs hatch, the problem is with your breeder setup. (y)

Okay. I'll check it out. I thought this was going to be a easy, simple operation. Yeah RIGHT!!!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom