Will These Fish Get ALong Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know about that stuff you are trying to use, I wouldn't trust it but at least there aren't any fish in the tank yet. So then you know that you need an ammonia source to get the cycle going. W/o ammonia nitrites can't be processed into nitrates. I used pure ammonia but a lot of people add fish food or a raw shrimp in a mesh bag . Then you have to monitor the levels until you have ammonia being processed to nitrates in 24 hours.

EDIT: You need the test kit to tell.

don't listen to what the bottle says. throw it out. it's useless. read the article logansmomma1228 linked you to, and you will see if you are cycling correctly or not. nutrafin cycle is useless unless you are cycling with fish. since you are not, all you need to cycle is an ammonia source (fish food, i believe you said... i prefer pure ammonia as fish food gets messy) and a test kit. right now you have no idea where your cycle is or if it even started because you can't test your water. you may even be able to bring your water to an LFS and have them sample it for you. let us know what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are and we can help you figure out where your cycle is at.

tell me about it! before i came here i had a 10gal with 2 rosy barbs and had no idea about the nitrogen cycle. the lfs i had gone to said everything i was doing was fine. NOT. thank goodness for AA :D they saved the day :D but not my fishies, unfortunately :( i was too late

From the way i understand the cycle product, it just aids in breaking down the ammonia and nitrites, but it does not actually establish a bacteria colony. It is a bacteria , however, not the same type your fish tank naturally uses.

I would not waste your money on that stuff , personally.

Also , fish food is a source of ammonia , its not the best. It molds after time and creates a mess. You might want to look into addind a pure ammonia source and get a test kit. It should take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to properly fishless cycle , and is by far the best way to cycle.

IF you insist you want fish right away , you still have to cycle which takes the same ammount of time. It is harder on the fish and takes a toll on their lifespan and makes them more susceptable to disease.

The Angel fish are , from what i understand, a hardy fish. They may survive a cycle. They can however, survive swings in pH, and higher ammounts of ammonia and nitrite than other fish. But if you are breeding them you do not want to subject them to these environments.

From reading , a healthy pair of angels will be very aggressive eaters, and have very healthy fins.

Like others have said here.. a lot of the fish you want will requre an established tank for survival.

I wouldn't distrust all bacterial products. I use a powdered bacterial supplement for my ponds (50$ per 8oz) and it does work. I decided it to use it to cycle a tank; converted 4ppm ammo in 2 week. The powdered stuff is actually bacteria spores and an enzyme.

See I think the bacterial products will help a little, but I wouldn't personally trust that alone in cycling the tank. A lot of them claim to cycle as soon as you add them to the water. They are bacteria, but I believe I read that they are dead bacteria? I personally wouldn't use them, but if you do I wouldn't suggest solely relying on that.

I wouldn't distrust all bacterial products. I use a powdered bacterial supplement for my ponds (50$ per 8oz) and it does work. I decided it to use it to cycle a tank; converted 4ppm ammo in 2 week. The powdered stuff is actually bacteria spores and an enzyme.

interesting. what is it called? the nutrafin cycle the OP is using is not the same as that. all it really does is help keep fish safe through a cycle. edit: as far as i understand from the video on their website, anyway.

well it looks like my tank is gonna be kinda boring without that angel...or i could do just angels,roselines(i hear they r ok with angels) and the pleco. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Here goes: List 6
6 rose line sharks(1 at a time)
1 Red Hi fin Pleco
6 tiger barbs or 3-4 angels

6 roseline sharks might be a bit much for your tank in the end.. and i would go with atleast two angels

have you ever tried www.aqadvisor.com ? It's a stocking calculator. It's pretty conservative with stuff though so you shouldn't take it to heart but it can provide a good general idea for you.

interesting. what is it called? the nutrafin cycle the OP is using is not the same as that. all it really does is help keep fish safe through a cycle. edit: as far as i understand from the video on their website, anyway.

American Pond Brand, Super Strength, Hydro-Topia. It claims that each gram contains 5billion individual active bacteria spores.

Pond Supplies, problem ponds, Pond Additive Supplies, Pond Maintenance Supplies, green and murky pond water, pond chemical supplies, Water Pond Supplies, pond water clean, biological pond supplies, pond treatment supplies My 8oz jar costs 50 dollars with shipping. It's worth it when you have 1000$ koi though XD.

could you give us the scientific name for that pleco that you want? i'm having a hard time finding anything about it. maybe another common name?

I can call the store tomarrow but its a black and red striped(cod4 tiger-stripe for instance) with a huge sail. it looks amazing when it gets bigger.i can post pics when i get him/her

and they do have plecos on that site.

D4m thing said i am over stocked with 3 angels and a pleco. is that a full size? bc when he/she gets that big i am getting a new tank

200%capacity with that setup
250 with some roselines. i know its kinda of a bit but as they get bigger i will get a new tank. and it says i need more filtration which i planned on anyway.

could you give us the scientific name for that pleco that you want? i'm having a hard time finding anything about it. maybe another common name?

Oh and I also use live cultured pure Rhodospirillum Rubrum that my uncle cultured for me at his lab in Taiwan. He's an aquaculturist.

have you tried www.planetcatfish.com ? There was another site I came across before but I can't remember the name of it and it isn't in my history anymore because I had to wipe that virus out... ****it lol

Back
Top Bottom