Work in progress (long) , updated 09/10/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been awhile since I have posted. Here are all my new species. I cannot help getting new plants. LOL.

I know I don't have the room for more, but that doesn't stop me.

Here is my newest addition, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata:
tank75(43).JPG

Hydrocotyle verticillata with some HC
tank75(42).JPG

Pogostemon helferi
tank75(44).JPG

Elatine triandra (Thanks Peyton)
tank75(45).JPG

Marsilea quadrafolia (Thanks Peyton)
tank75(47).JPG

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis'
tank75(46).JPG

And introducing my newest planted tank:
tank75(41).JPG

This is my 46 gallon bowfront peacock cichlid tank.

I just put many of my clippings into this tank. Rightnow I am at 1 WPG so I need more light. Thankfully Santa will be bringing me a new light for Christmas, LOL, the wife doesn't know it yet. She just said to pick up some gifts for the fish from santa, so a new light it is. (I know I am going to be in trouble, but I couldn't help it)

This tank will be at 2 WPG and non-CO2. I want to try the no water change method with this tank and see how it goes.

It's lava rock.

I have a lot of work to do with this tank. The background will have to be changed and the placement of the plants still has to be figured out.

I finally have had it with all the fast growing species, so I pulled a 'Dan' today and removed quite a bit of plants.

Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Cabomba palaeformis, and the Limnophila sessiliflora all were removed or left with only one stem or so.

I moved the Limnophila aromatica from mid to background.

I cut up the Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta' that is in the front and moved it to midground. I think I am going to remove the mother plant altogether and that will allow me to see the driftwood.

I moved the Didiplis diandra from mid to background where the Limnophila sessiliflora was. It is now turning a pretty orange color on the tops.

The Pogostemon stellatus is finally grown enough to produce side shoots. When I have enough of those, I will cut it up and plant it as a midground species. Rightnow it is hiding my Rotala wallichii.

I must say, that I really like the looks of the left side now. Tomorrow I will work on the right side.

I have learned, that I should only keep difficult to very difficult species in this tank to keep the maintainance down!

I throw out 1/2 garbage bag full of plants. :cry:

Most of the plants were very ratty due to not getting any light, so it wasn't worth sending them out.

Here is the current layout. (my ever changing art work)

tank75(13).jpg

nice! Looking really good. It is rough throwing out all of those plants... but I have started to get used to it. I completely agree with the "only keep difficult plants" thing.. I am gravitating that way as well.

Just a couple of pics of the colors I am getting. Finally!

Here is the Didiplis diandra with Ludwigia inclinata on the left.
tank75_14_.JPG

Here you can see the Pogostemon stellatus branching off with Rotala wallichii coming over the top.
tank75_15_.JPG

Here is a bad pick of Rotala macrandra in my 28 gal tank.
tank288.jpg

Glenc said:
Very, very nice. Beautiful colour in there. Hope my 75 will look half as nice :)

Thanks Glen, but what is this 75 gal you are talking about? Does this have anything to do with the BA gift certificate? That's a big piece of furniture to move.

AMAZING! what is the plant right in front of the wood on the left? (the round looking cypt I think...oh I am horriable at describing..)

blazeyreef said:
AMAZING! what is the plant right in front of the wood on the left? (the round looking cypt I think...oh I am horriable at describing..)

You mean the Anubias barteri v. 'nana'?

rkilling1 said:
dapellegrini said:
Nice rebound! Everything certainly looks happy.

With growth like that, you should have enough to overrun all of your tanks in no time. You may want to consider getting rid of some of those really fast growers before they drive you crazy. Weekly trimming can become quite a chore, as I have recently discovered!

I agree, the fast growers are a pain in the rear, but I also like to give plants away to other members and the LFS. Having those fast growers allows me to do this more often. Now that the BBA is gone, I am finally starting to send plants out to AA members.

So if you want something, just let me know.

Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Bacopa caroliniana
Bacopa monnieri
Blyxa japonica
Cabomba palaeformis
Didiplis diandra
Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta'
Echinodorus osiris
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila 'green' (Polygonum odoratum)
Limnophila sessiliflora
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia repens
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus
Myriophyllum heterophyllum
Myriophyllum simulans
Pogostemon stellatus
Ranunculus papulentus
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala rotundifolia 'Colorata'
Rotala wallichii
Tonina sp. 'Belem'
Vallisneria americana (currently melting because of Excel)

I will also be getting Downoi (Pogostemon helferi) in the mail today.
when you get clippings PLEASE let me know :D

rkilling1 said:
blazeyreef said:

You mean the Anubias barteri v. 'nana'?
no this one

Attachments

• tank75_13__fixe_187.jpg
    tank75_13__fixe_187.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 27
lol, yes, that new 75 has everything to do with that BA gift certificate! Can't set it up till I get moved Jan. 25. The anticipation is killing me! Thanks for the inspiration :)

blazeyreef said:
no this one

Oh, that would be Blyxa japonica.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=38

blazeyreef said:
when you get clippings PLEASE let me know :D

I always have clippings!

What you have to do, inorder for me to send you some of them, is to research the species you want and make sure it will grow in your tank. Some of these are very difficult to grow under high light, while others will grow in any light. Some need to have soft water, while others will grow in any water, ect...

I can't promise I can send you a 'load' of plants, but I am sure I can send atleast a stem or two.

Here is my current list of species:

Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Bacopa caroliniana
Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'
Bacopa monnieri
Blyxa japonica
Cabomba palaeformis
Didiplis diandra
Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta'
Echinodorus osiris
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Eichhornia diversifolia
Elatine triandra
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila 'green' (Polygonum odoratum)
Limnophila sessiliflora
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia repens
Marsilea quadrafolia
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus
Myriophyllum heterophyllum
Myriophyllum simulans
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellatus
Ranunculus papulentus
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. 'Colorata'
Rotala sp. 'vietnam'
Rotala wallichii
Tonina sp. 'Belem'
Vallisneria americana
Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis'

Not all of these are ready to be shipped, but just give me a short list of what you want and I will let you know. You will have to pay for shipping also. IF the weather gets cold, then I will not be able to ship them.

awesome! I will start going through your list and wright down what I would be interested in and start my research :D

Finally got some time off off work, so I can update this thread with some more pics. :lol:

The Glosso carpet is filling in nicely.
tank75_16_.JPG

I decided to cut up the Pogostemon stellatus.
tank75_17_.JPG

I am very pleased with one of my newest species. The
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'. What a nice color this plant has.
tank7518.JPG

I am going to have to seperate my Myriophyllum tuberculatum and Rotala wallichii. They blend right into each other.
tank75_19_.JPG

The Ludwigia repens is starting to become to much work for this tank.
tank75_21_.JPG

I wish I had a better picture of this species, but the bowfront on my 28 gal tank plays tricks on my camera. Pearling Rotala macrandra with Ludwigia palustris in the background.
tank28(10).jpg

EDIT: I enlarged the pic a bit to better show the pearling.
tank28(11).jpg

The right side of my 75 gallon tank is LOST. I will have to spend a good amount of time this weekend working on it. Atleast is covers up the equipment, right. :p
tank75_20_.JPG

This is the whole tank. The plants in the foreground on the center right side are just newer species. I like to have them rejuv in the best spot. They will be moved once they grow out a bit.
fulltank75.JPG

My newest species thanks to LWB, Ammannia senegalensis. It will take some time to heal from the shipping, but I believe this will be a very pretty plant very soon!
tank75_22_.JPG

I had a very hard time dosing this tank while I was working midnights. One day I would get home in the morning and dose the tank and then wake up on the same day and forget that I had already dosed and then redose the same fert. Then there were other days that I just forgot to dose at all. The end result was algea! This tank sucks up nutrients so fast that I can't miss a dose without problems. Most of the problematic algea is cleared up, but I still have some remaining 'dust' algea.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. :oops: I was in a hurry.

Nice. I bought some r. macrandra when i first set things up and nearly killed it. I have a tiny piece left that has all kinds of buds on it, but it is growing like 1mm a month for me. I think it is my hard water... Anyways, I would love to get mine to grow out and pearl (that will be a happy day)...

With so many large plants and fish, you kinda don't see the size of the tank in the photos (looks smaller than it is)... But everything looks very happy! I like all the different shapes along the foreground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom