Would This be Possible? Half Saltwater Half Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to get a 30 or 40 gallon tank and split it in half down the middle with a solid piece of glass. I'd have separate filters and all. But, I want one side to be a coral reef and the other a planted freshwater community. Is this possible?

as long as the seal was watertight i think it would work fine. but theres one catch, your gonna have to take a LOT of pictures...

I have never heard of that idea before, but it sounds very cool. I also think it would work if there was an appropriate seal.

I'd have to wait a while to do it but good to know it's possible!
How about I do a 75 gal? Split, that'd be 37.5 gals each
I put together these lists with fish that would fit the tank but they are wishlists not stocklists so please tell what'll work!
For the salt stock I'd do-( please criticize and tweak!)
2-neon goby
1-citrus clown goby
1-firefish, purple
1-ocellaris clownfish, tank bred
1-royal gramma
Corals
Fresh wishlist-
3-male bluegrass guppies
2-otos
6-peppered Cory
6-silver tip tetra
1-geman blue ram
5- harlequin rasbora
1-dwarf gourami
3-mosquito fish 2f:1m
Plants-
Swords
Anarchis
Driftwood
Foxtail
Riccia
Rotala indica
Micro sword
Myrio green
Wisteria
Narrow leaf temple
Vallisnera corkscrew
Wisteria
Anubias nana
Cambomba
Dwarf baby tears
Dwarf hairgrass
Cardinal plant
Hydrophilia angustifolia
Ludwigia perunsis
5- moss balls
Oriental sword
Myrio red
Water sprite
Inverts-
2-nerite snail
5-RCS
2-CRS
If I do this the tanks will both have-
Appropriate heaters
50 gal filters
Sand substrate
The freshwater will have two or three driftwood peices

The only problem I can see coming from this is temperature...it will be extremely difficult and take up a lot of power consumption to keep at different temps so you would probably have to stock both tanks according to the temp you plan on keeping

Mrc8858 said:
The only problem I can see coming from this is temperature...it will be extremely difficult and take up a lot of power consumption to keep at different temps so you would probably have to stock both tanks according to the temp you plan on keeping

Yeah I agree keeping both sides at different temps is going to be very difficult

to keep them different,you could try 2 barriers about a half in apart,and fill the gap with styrofaom,should work as decent insulation

alLexX said:
to keep them different,you could try 2 barriers about a half in apart,and fill the gap with styrofaom,should work as decent insulation

It would but then you'd lose the one tank look kinda imo

Lighting too, youll need 2 different light fixtures to fit. Im not sure exactly, but it has got to be tough to find one for that od length of each tank. How long is a 75?

Cool idea!

Mrc8858 said:
It's 4ft so it would just be 2 seperate 2' fixtures...would you be wanting coral in this tank though OP?

Yeah, i reread and it says corals. Missed it the first time though haha.

So 24" fixtures? Cant be hard to find those. Thats a pretty standard length

You'd have to be careful that you don't accidentally splash salt water into the Fresh tank during PWC. Or worse add the water to the wrong tank, that would be bad. A decent cover should keep out splashing though. Are you going to use similar looking substrates for the tanks?

What about this stock for the fresh-
1-white blushing angel
Or( which works better)
2-gbr
Or
2-dwarf gourami
3-oto
6-peppered Cory
1-mosquito fish trio
5- golden white cloud
4- cherry barb
4-cpd
6- harlequin rasbora
5-khuli loach
5-male guppies

I used to have two seperate 5g tanks squeezed into one frame meant for a tank twice the size, but they were both betta tanks. We used mountable false stone backgrounds on each dividing wall (and the backs) and it turned out pretty sweet. I ended up giving one of the tanks to a friend to take to college.

Why not take it to the next step and make 3... Freshwater, brackish, saltwater. :D
I wouldn't worry much about the temperature, personally. If you monitored it closely and it stayed consistant, you might be able to utilize the heat from your SW tank and use it to heat your FW tank rather than trying to suppress it.

(PS, nice color on that bay. Reminds me of my mare. :) )

Back
Top Bottom