Your opinion on African cichlid hybrids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecos4596

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you guys think of african cichlid hybrids good or bad and does a hybrid come out less aggressive or have a different behavior?

I have a few, my consensus is I've you aren't selling them and just keeping them jn your tank there's not a problem. I usually just let them be born and if they are strong enough to survive that can live in the tank. As for behavior it really depends I have some that are shy and others that are aggressive all from the same parents

I've heard that people get hybrids who kill their parents and are more aggressive than any of the ya know really aggressive minima like auratus and kenyi and stuff which I think sounds crazy! And I can see Hukit has a strong straight forward opinion of hybrids lol.

I've heard that people get hybrids who kill their parents and are more aggressive than any of the ya know really aggressive minima like auratus and kenyi and stuff which I think sounds crazy! And I can see Hukit has a strong straight forward opinion of hybrids lol.

I have a pretty aggressive hybrid he use to get chased by his pops but that's stopped and now he chase some of my low rank guys. He is a blue zebra/maingino mix

I'm not a fan of them. I do think that it is entirely up to the individual to decide for themselves though. I just can't in good conscious allow any cichlid hybridization. Lots of the fish that we keep are becoming threatened or worse in their natural habitats. Keeping pure lines of fish, preferably to the collection point, may allow replenishment in the future or at least allow future aquarists the opportunity to keep them. Check out American Cichlid Association - ACA C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program.

Plus, on a completely practical side, who knows when some crisis may strike requiring a tank breakdown or worse? If the fish are pure, they are infinitely easier to sell if you must. That includes any excess fry you may want to raise.

People have strong opinions on this subject (as already displayed here) But I don't love them or hate them. I have seen some really cool hybrids but I would not set out to purposely hybridize a fish. I think of it in terms of other animals look at all the dog breeds we have now. Almost all have come from crossing breeds way back in the day and they did so to fulfill a certain purpose weather it be a job or just looks. I think if people want to create a "breed" of fish by crossing others I don't see why they should be berated for doing so. Not my desire to do so but if others want to so be it. I don't see the harm. Harm comes if people pass off hybrids fish as purebred but that is another topic of ethics.

It doesn't come out more or less aggressive it will just take on the traits of one of the parents.

Does it weaken them as far susceptibility to disease and parasites?

Yes anytime you selectively line breed for a specific trait that ultimately weakens the strain. This has been proven over and over again yet people still keep pumping these things out to make money.

Yes anytime you selectively line breed for a specific trait that ultimately weakens the strain. This has been proven over and over again yet people still keep pumping these things out to make money.
Wish I had found AA Before I wasted 20$ on a pair of EBR, lasted all of 23 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom