Zer0's 40 Leagues Under the Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Order placed, 2 Eheim 350 Skimmers on their way!

I was going to ask if these units are self leveling (floating head) but it turns out that the are. Nice!

I'm really sad to hear you guys have had such crappy experiences with Fluval's 306. I tend to buy a lot of my stuff based on brand loyalty and I gladly pay more for quality equipment. Sounds like Fluval kinda crapped the bed?
Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Bad experience with a 206 here. First one leaked (I think the shipping box was used in a punt, pass, & kick contest) and the second one made an audible humming noise that made me go back to HOBs. Sunsun looks like a viable option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to ask if these units are self leveling (floating head) but it turns out that the are. Nice!

Bad experience with a 206 here. First one leaked (I think the shipping box was used in a punt, pass, & kick contest) and the second one made an audible humming noise that made me go back to HOBs. Sunsun looks like a viable option though.

I can say this abt cannisters ive owned. I love my fluvals from the 306 to my many fx6. I equally like my sun sun's. I usually run 2 per tank. A fluv and a sun sun. I keep only bio rocks in 1. All other media in the 2nd. It seems to help flow and adds alot more bio media surface space. I say that to say this. Ive had issues described here with all but 1 cannister i had ordered and delivered (fluvs and suns). Ive had only 1 issue with cannisters ive gotten in store (a fluv seal). With the store bought issue, i just walked in and had it fixed instantly. The ordered ones were a hassle to get replaced. Ive noticed a trend in complaints abt cannisters ordered online. Im starting to wonder if its like how walmart selks so cheap? If you go to a hardware store and buy a drill, odds are you can get the same drill at wal mart cheaper. What most dont know is the reason. Its not just buying power either. Its that the drill from Hardware store is grade A or B. Wal mary buys grade C and below (even refurbished) at a substantially reduced bulk rate. Hence the savings. Just wondering if anyone has noticed an uptick in this with filters or other fish supplies coming delivered from bulk online stores?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can say this abt cannisters ive owned. I love my fluvals from the 306 to my many fx6. I equally like my sun sun's. I usually run 2 per tank. A fluv and a sun sun. I keep only bio rocks in 1. All other media in the 2nd. It seems to help flow and adds alot more bio media surface space. I say that to say this. Ive had issues described here with all but 1 cannister i had ordered and delivered (fluvs and suns). Ive had only 1 issue with cannisters ive gotten in store (a fluv seal). With the store bought issue, i just walked in and had it fixed instantly. The ordered ones were a hassle to get replaced. Ive noticed a trend in complaints abt cannisters ordered online. Im starting to wonder if its like how walmart selks so cheap? If you go to a hardware store and buy a drill, odds are you can get the same drill at wal mart cheaper. What most dont know is the reason. Its not just buying power either. Its that the drill from Hardware store is grade A or B. Wal mary buys grade C and below (even refurbished) at a substantially reduced bulk rate. Hence the savings. Just wondering if anyone has noticed an uptick in this with filters or other fish supplies coming delivered from bulk online stores?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wal-Mart is the devil incarnate!

20L Mafia...

Hehe, I haven't looked at it that detailed, but I try my hardest to stay clear of them. TBH it wouldn't surprise me :)

I leave for 3 days, and its now a jungle in there!

pmHsMWM7FkIS0rl68qhbaSa7EysnVhou8deh1Jshhcs=w1327-h995-no

imIbhEMJsZKRCi7XSRZKN0L9yoNc9-NW__FLv4ybaoc=w1327-h995-no

k2nzZJFp79eQZaP61cGRJ_IWTfAuW4WDxKmi0hbjYQ0=w1327-h995-no

vxBl1zx9eg-GQ9S0sEi1giDj_iKgfSsK1iKsKZAfss8=w1327-h995-no

But I did come back with Monte Carlo for the lower right side of the tank, more Glosso (Which is spreading like wild fire).

5 Black Phantoms
5 Red Phantoms
12 Bloodfins

Time to trim this all back and do the WC! Will post pics in a little!

That's too clean to be a jungle. Been watching the rotala wallichii; maybe I will give it another go...it's been a year.
At first glance I thought I saw dual fluorescent bulbs but realized it was the spray bar and its reflection. You could go over that with black Krylon for plastic (pretty sure it's non-toxic) or any safe spray paint. Sorry, I try to look away but my eyes are drawn to it.

That's too clean to be a jungle. Been watching the rotala wallichii; maybe I will give it another go...it's been a year.
At first glance I thought I saw dual fluorescent bulbs but realized it was the spray bar and its reflection. You could go over that with black Krylon for plastic (pretty sure it's non-toxic) or any safe spray paint. Sorry, I try to look away but my eyes are drawn to it.

hehe... Already gotcha covered :brows: It's what I was doing while away from the apartment.

C3NUD7akIgr4lr6Z7F2lATUEF2sTiu6eS9ks3Z56fzA=w723-h963-no

Aite!

So, Sunday weekly WC is now done! I trimmed back some of the Hygro, and Ludwigia on the right hand side, cut down the Cabomba in the middle. Also installed the Eheim 350 Skimmer to the left of my spray bar (which is now painted black, along with my intake tubing). Nuked some type of algae that was growing below the substrate line on the front of the glass (H202).

Put the new Bloodfins, and Phantoms into QC (Started Prazi-Pro dosing on them). I have not had any issues with fish from this place (they have had these fish for a few weeks now to). So if all goes well during the week, I may move them in here next Sunday.

I also planted the Monte Carlo on the front right of the tank. I put about 3-4 stems per bunch, and planted them about 1/2in from each other, and loaded up root tabs below. I also trimmed the roots to about 1-2in (they were about 3-4in long). I don't want to trim the Monte tops yet, giving them a week or so to get established in this tank. Then I will wack them down to about 1-2in and plant the tops around them.

6SxNIZeMJk2iZQq-7dh0zoK-EcMfOZuflkOhJ6sOTps=w1327-h995-no

rBF8edP_YYAg6qt9GcYBLHX3zuOZT2jm4HayaJO3Fis=w1327-h995-no

009hE_E-hfmaPTimKuiUv9oJJcmZ0kgSKZ8D_3PwSHU=w1327-h995-no

AguemtW2t37t2RB_wPbp-4C1-0Oncj74ULBPOOw1XxI=w1327-h995-no

How is that Rotala wallichii faring for you?

The Rotala wallichii looks much nicer than my attempt at them. So clean!

It's looking good, Zero! I might just try that plant in the future.

Good looking wallichi sir..

sit in silence...

Thanks guys! Still too early to say its going to work out, only been a little over 2 weeks "i think"

On another note, I just picked up 9 more ottos to split between the 2 tanks, hoping that will quell my constant diatom issues. 3 for 5 at a place I frequent around here. I shot on the high side, since I know mortality rate is pretty high with them once they're brought home. On the plus side of things, they have been in the tank at the store for over 3 weeks, and my last batch from them have been doing great only lost 2 of the 6 purchased around march.

Hey, is anyone dosing a little extra Iron outside of what's in the Micros' (CSM+B) in Ei? Thinking about possibly adding a cap full once a week on top of what gets dosed in my micro's every other day. Thoughts?

I do however minimal it may be...I add in 4g of iron chelate to the csm+ when mixing a new batch..

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom