125 gallon OLD WORLD stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hoping to get a 125 gallon soon and want to get a peacock/hap tank going. Any ideas on some i should put in it and how many? I'm hoping to do at least 3 of every fish i put in. I for sure want red empress and maybe some jacobfreibergi.

Hoping to get a 125 gallon soon and want to get a peacock/hap tank going. Any ideas on some i should put in it and how many? I'm hoping to do at least 3 of every fish i put in. I for sure want red empress and maybe some jacobfreibergi.

Could I do frontosa with them?

Peacocks are from malawi and frontosas are from tanganykia so I wouldn't mix the two. If I were in your position I would create a male peacock show tank that way you can keep different varieties without having to worry about cross breeding. I like the ruby red and lemon jake peacock.

I am not yelling just figure easier to read. Lol. I have a 120 with haps and peacocks. I just started my tank about 13 weeks ago i have 16 haps/peacocks and 2 synodontis. I know that a few might need to be rehoused someday but at the moment they are only about 1 1/2- 2 inches they have a long way to go. Lol

Peacocks are from malawi and frontosas are from tanganykia so I wouldn't mix the two. If I were in your position I would create a male peacock show tank that way you can keep different varieties without having to worry about cross breeding. I like the ruby red and lemon jake peacock.

Hmm ok. I just saw something on another forum that had a species profile that said that peacocks/haps are good tankmates for fronts and wanted your guys' opinions. Could I do different genuses of haps and 1 peacock species and will that stop crossbreeding?

you can put the fronts in there with them but i would do all male so you dont have to worry about crossbreeding. the ph and ghd levels between the two lakes in the wild are slightly different however most fish in the hobby are kept in more nuetral ph and mild hardness so they will do fine. IMO im sure some enthusiasts will disagree but my lfs whom i sell my spawns too keeps alot of these together no problems. id say go for it and just monitor them carefully.

Are you saying all male fronts? Because frontosa males are territorial, and if the op were to grow them out, even a single female would lead to major conspecific aggression. I've seen several dominant males rip sub-Dom males to shreds

Are you saying all male fronts? Because frontosa males are territorial, and if the op were to grow them out, even a single female would lead to major conspecific aggression. I've seen several dominant males rip sub-Dom males to shreds

No no no Lol just one male front and rest all male peacocks to prevent cross breeding

That sounds like an interesting setup. I am not a big fan of mixing fish from different lakes but that is only my opinion.

A 125 is a very common starter of the larger Aquarium sizes, I compare it to the 55 because while its larger/holds a good volume of water you still have to be careful on how you stock it. Even though its a great foot print a 125 is not the end all " I can put any fish in here" tank.

A couple things I would personally avoid is:

-Mixing lakes, sure it can be done but it always doesn't end well.
- Mixing Haps and peacocks, allot of the Haps have evolved to hunt the Mbuna and peacocks. The only peacock that may work is A. jacobfreibergi because of its max size and aggression levels
- Putting in fish over 10", while a 125 is a large tank putting a bunch of 12" + fish in there you will quickly degrade the water.

That being said I would stick to fish that only get at max 8-10" that way you can still have a good mix of fish and there will be plenty of space for everyone. Also you'd really need to take into account the different aggression levels of they fish you are mixing. I would recommend some of the following families of fish for your tank:

- Copadichromis sp.
- Lethrinops sp.
- Otopharynx sp.
- Placidochromis sp.
- Protomelas sp.

All the above fish range from 5-9" and are either peaceful to mildly aggressive. I would choose your three favorites and stock roughly 4-5 of each depending on temperament and adult size.

Alright, great! I really like all those fish! So how many fish could I get in there? Maybe 20?

I have haps and peacocks with plans for a 125 and love frontosas, didn't know I could add one eventually and just want to follow this thread

Alright, great! I really like all those fish! So how many fish could I get in there? Maybe 20?

I would shoot for 15 or so depending on the adult size of fish. 15 of the 8-10" fish is allot of fish once they get some size on them. One mistake I've noticed when people are setting up a new tank is they add a ton of fish because it looks empty. Personally I rather have a tank that looks empty for 6 or so months then have to do 50% + water changes a week on 100 gallon or larger tanks.

I had 6 Placidochromis and 6 Exochromis in my 125 when I was keeping Africans and even that was pushing it since the Exos hit 12". I did allot of water changes too.

K sounds good! So 3 groups of 5 peacocks/haps then?

Could I do 5 red empress, 5 lemon jakes or maybe otopharynx lithobates, and then like 5 placidochromis phenochilus or copadichromis trewavasae?

K sounds good! So 3 groups of 5 peacocks/haps then?

Could I do 5 red empress, 5 lemon jakes or maybe otopharynx lithobates, and then like 5 placidochromis phenochilus or copadichromis trewavasae?

I would do:

1 male Empress
4 lemon jakes ( 1 male 3 females)
5 Phenochilus
5 Trewavasae

If you omit the lemon jakes and empress you could add the Lithobates or Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi) .They are allot smaller then the rest of the stock and may get beat on. Protomelas sp. '' Taiwanee Or Higga" reef would be good replacements for the lemon jakes. Also check out Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" if you want a big peaceful blue an yellow fish.

I would do:

1 male Empress
4 lemon jakes ( 1 male 3 females)
5 Phenochilus
5 Trewavasae

If you omit the lemon jakes and empress you could add the Lithobates or Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi) .They are allot smaller then the rest of the stock and may get beat on. Protomelas sp. '' Taiwanee Or Higga" reef would be good replacements for the lemon jakes. Also check out Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" if you want a big peaceful blue an yellow fish.

Ok sounds good! So do you say only 1 empress because they are so big? Or because they are aggressive?

Back
Top Bottom