125 gallon OLD WORLD stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, i could probably keep my lemon jakes in my 55 gallon. So What could I replace those with? Any good yellow haps probably besides the taiwan reefs since I have the red empress?

Also, will i need something like a pleco for the tank? It will be in the basement where there isn't a lot of windows.

Also, i could probably keep my lemon jakes in my 55 gallon. So What could I replace those with? Any good yellow haps probably besides the taiwan reefs since I have the red empress?

Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania is a good blue and yellow fish. Protomelas sp. (Taiwan Reef) or Copadichromis borleyi (Mara Point)
look almost the same as lemon jakes and get to be the same size but are peaceful.

You shouldn't need a pleco just keep the lights off when you're not viewing the tank and that will keep you from getting algae. I have my lights on for an hour or two in the am before work then they dont come back on until late evening once the natural starts to fade.

Peacocks are from malawi and frontosas are from tanganykia so I wouldn't mix the two. If I were in your position I would create a male peacock show tank that way you can keep different varieties without having to worry about cross breeding. I like the ruby red and lemon jake peacock.

Yes but I have mixed a South American cichlid (jack Dempsey) with an African cichlid not sure what it is. But they get along fine

Yes but I have mixed a South American cichlid (jack Dempsey) with an African cichlid not sure what it is. But they get along fine

Congratulations on the fact that your fish haven't killed each other YET. Mixing continents is not advisable and isn't in the best interest of the fishes long term health. Also Bettaowner said absolutely nothing about South American cichlids and mixing then with Africans. If you have nothing worth while and relevant to say then don't post and clutter up someone's thread.

Congratulations on the fact that your fish haven't killed each other YET. Mixing continents is not advisable and isn't in the best interest of the fishes long term health. Also Bettaowner said absolutely nothing about South American cichlids and mixing then with Africans. If you have nothing worth while and relevant to say then don't post and clutter up someone's thread.

I could be wrong but I think the point he was trying to make is if he can keep a big bad Jack with an African why not some of the other bigger species here I think it better to explain to him how that's not a good example because some people just aren't sure why it matter I on other hand do know why so no need to explain it to me lol

Hey guys, this argument doesnt need to happen, i'm not sure if you can do frontosa with haps, but i decided that I want to do just haps and/or peacocks anyway. I'm hoping with this tank to have some good color, but also be able to breed a little so i can see their colors flash more. So I have red empress for some good red, maybe placidochromis phenochilus for blue, now what a another good fish that will add color/interest?

Hey guys, this argument doesnt need to happen, i'm not sure if you can do frontosa with haps, but i decided that I want to do just haps and/or peacocks anyway. I'm hoping with this tank to have some good color, but also be able to breed a little so i can see their colors flash more. So I have red empress for some good red, maybe placidochromis phenochilus for blue, now what a another good fish that will add color/interest?
Not trying to argue good luck to you hope your selection works out post some updated pics

Not trying to argue good luck to you hope your selection works out post some updated pics

Yup! I realize you were just clarifying! And thanks! Any ideas of another good hap? And it might be awhile for some good pics because I haven't even gotten the tank yet ;)

I'm not familiar with all the different haps and their compatibility I've only kept SA/ca until a few months ago when I started getting into keeping africans

Gotcha, thanks! Any ideas on another good fish to add some different color in the tank, Mogurako?

Gotcha, thanks! Any ideas on another good fish to add some different color in the tank, Mogurako?

What body shapes and colors patterns are you specifically looking for? There are allot of Haps, if you help me narrow down exactly what you're looking for I can help you from there.

What body shapes and colors patterns are you specifically looking for? There are allot of Haps, if you help me narrow down exactly what you're looking for I can help you from there.

Well, i guess different colors than the red empress and phenochilus. And something that I could have like 5 of, so nothing too huge. Any ideas?

Well, i guess different colors than the red empress and phenochilus. And something that I could have like 5 of, so nothing too huge. Any ideas?

So pretty much you are looking for some green and yellows? Also Phenochilus grows very slow so I wouldn't add the Empress until the phenos until 4" +. Allot of the Haps are going to have some blue on them just as a heads up. I'll look around an see what I can find.

So pretty much you are looking for some green and yellows? Also Phenochilus grows very slow so I wouldn't add the Empress until the phenos until 4" +. Allot of the Haps are going to have some blue on them just as a heads up. I'll look around an see what I can find.

Sounds good. I'm really open to anything I guess! I just want some sweet color! How bout venestus? Too aggressive and big?

Ok so here's some to look at:

- Copadichromis borleyi Mbenji ''Yellow Fin'' , these have blue head with a orange/yellow body.

- Copadichromis sp. ''Flavimanus Lundu'' , these are black with yellow fin tips. A bonus is the females are yellow and silver.

- Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi), these are red, blue and green with great patterns on the tail.

- Otopharynx tetrastigma, very cool yellow/green bodied fish with orange fins.

Sounds good. I'm really open to anything I guess! I just want some sweet color! How bout venestus? Too aggressive and big?

I wouldn't add them, most of the Haps we have been looking at are the more peaceful "foraging types" there's a whole other world of the larger more aggressive fish but those really need a 180g +. Most of them are 12-16" fish, some of the coolest ones IMO but they need a biiig tank.

I wouldn't add them, most of the Haps we have been looking at are the more peaceful "foraging types" there's a whole other world of the larger more aggressive fish but those really need a 180g +. Most of them are 12-16" fish, some of the coolest ones IMO but they need a biiig tank.

Sounds good, and thanks! I'll check those guys out!!

Back
Top Bottom