46 Gallon Bow, How many pairs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front and I'm curious if I can keep more than just my 2 Bolivian Rams in it?

Current stocking:

2 x Bolivian Rams
6 x Zebra Danios
6 x Guppies (all male, no babies)
4 x Bronze Cories
2 x Peacock Gudgeons
2 x Bamboo Shrimp
2 x Nerite Snails

This tank will be pretty heavily planted (converting to eco complete this weekend) and have approximately 20 Malaysian trumpet snails as well. I'm curious if I could add a pair of Apistos possibly? Would I have problems with the Rams and them?

Ina tank that size I would say only 1 pair of Bolivians and no apistos as dwarf chiclids should never be mixed due to possible aggression. Also a school of about 6 tetras would make that stock awesome!:)

Hi all,

I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front and I'm curious if I can keep more than just my 2 Bolivian Rams in it?

Current stocking:

2 x Bolivian Rams
6 x Zebra Danios
6 x Guppies (all male, no babies)
4 x Bronze Cories
2 x Peacock Gudgeons
2 x Bamboo Shrimp
2 x Nerite Snails

This tank will be pretty heavily planted (converting to eco complete this weekend) and have approximately 20 Malaysian trumpet snails as well. I'm curious if I could add a pair of Apistos possibly? Would I have problems with the Rams and them?

You would be okay adding a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or a similar sized apistogramma species IMO. Your tank is large enough and heavily planted with some rocks and driftwood should provide plenty of hiding spaces.

Ina tank that size I would say only 1 pair of Bolivians and no apistos as dwarf chiclids should never be mixed due to possible aggression. Also a school of about 6 tetras would make that stock awesome!:)

Cool thanks! I wasn't sure as I saw on another board people saying you could mix rams and apistos.

You would be okay adding a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or a similar sized apistogramma species IMO. Your tank is large enough and heavily planted with some rocks and driftwood should provide plenty of hiding spaces.

Awesome, now that's an answer I like (y)

I have three pieces of driftwood which actually link up pretty well so I'll be using them as a large piece laying over each other. I am also building slopes in the tank to help with making certain areas lusher. I will have rocks set up as caves (I also have Cichlid stone caves if need be).

Thanks!

Awesome, now that's an answer I like (y)

I have three pieces of driftwood which actually link up pretty well so I'll be using them as a large piece laying over each other. I am also building slopes in the tank to help with making certain areas lusher. I will have rocks set up as caves (I also have Cichlid stone caves if need be).

Thanks!

I would add the Cichlid stones. Apistogramma really appreciate having caves. Also the rams won't use them so much and they will have their own space

I would add the Cichlid stones. Apistogramma really appreciate having caves. Also the rams won't use them so much and they will have their own space

Will do, I'll have to figure a way to incorporate them into the tank. I kinda wanted to go all natural with caves made from stones.....we'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

ok cool, I was planning on getting some slate for caves as well....trading some danio fry for slate saturday at my LFS.

That's good, otherwise go to a landscaping place there it will only be like $.10 a pound.

image-1988855330.jpg

Here's my male checking out one if his caves

Last edited:
That's good, otherwise go to a landscaping place there it will only be like $.10 a pound.

View attachment 195085

Here's my male checking out one if his caves

Nice! Looks great. That's pretty much what I plan on doing with the slate, so that should work. I do have a nursery right down the road so I'll stop in there also on the way home from the fish shop.

You could probably get a way with two males and a group of females if you get rid of the rams. Otherwise stick to a pair of each

So I'm having problems finding apistogramma cacatuoides....do you recommend any other type of apistos that have the flowy fins and are highly colored which would work in my tank? I checked aquabid and ebay and neither have any right now. No LFS's either near me that carry these.

Back
Top Bottom