Ick - Treat the whole tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picture taking takes a steady hand and a good camra. The current is probably too fast. You can slow that down like you use to. Salt don't filter out so don't matter with flow. Snails I'm not too sure on. Don't like them much. I have some from plants I got and I don't mind them. But, when I start to see more than what I like to see then they disappear at water changing time. George I wouldn't have kept in the tank if I felt there was nothing wrong with him and/ or meds were too strong. Yes you want ich to fall off while meds are in the tank. Vacuum tomorrow with water change and dose again. Everybody does things different, if it works for them, then they are doing something right. when I took my media out, I didn't kill my good bacteria. My bottle said to take carbon and media out.

I just did my 4th dose of Ich X. I lost one cardinal since I started dosing. Whether from meds or ich, I don't know.

The betta in the 5g is back to himself now. I did baffle the output for him. He seems to be doing well with the salt. The ammonia is up to .25. I put in the filter media (sponge and bio rings) that I had taken out of the 29g. I'll do a water change tomorrow for him to start removing the salt.

Each dosing of the 29g I have done a 1/3 pwc and vacuumed the gravel. The first day I did a half dose to make sure the corydoras were okay, which they were. The next 3 doses were full doses.

The tetras still have white spots, in fact some have more. How long do I keep going with this regime?

Last edited:
Lost another cardinal this morning. Got it out just as it was dying. I have been reading that cardinals are hard to keep alive even without ich. =(

I have noticed the cardinals in particular tend to hide behind a bush in the corner of the aquarium since I took out the hornwort. The hornwort was great cover, but so messy that I don't know if I'll replace it or not.

29g - 1/3 pwc, vacuum, full dose meds
5g - 1/3 pwc

Question:

Before this started I had ordered live plants from Jacob's Aquarium. They arrived this weekend. Can I plant them in the 29 gallon with the meds in there? Do they need to be quarantined? Should I put them in with the betta in the 5 gallon?

Put them in with George. This ich might last a few weeks. If your losing more fish start doing a little bigger water change. All plants can be messy. I like water spirit as a floater. It can also be planted in substrate. My fish love it. Guppy grass is good too, they'd like that.

George will like that. =)

I got Hygro Wisteria, Ruffle, Dwarg Sag, and Jungle Val. Unfortunately they're all in the same little baggy so it will be interesting figuring out which is which! Ha!

I may need to get a hose syphon because carrying these buckets for weeks is going to kill my back! (I have an autoimmune disorder)

For George, should I do several pwc's over the next few days for the salt? Or can I space them out a little bit? Obviously if his ammonia climbs I'll do an immediate one, though.

I can't tell you how happy I am that George has not gotten any spots.

Thank you!

You can space the water changes for George. Take A little break. Lol! Focus on the 29g. But still test ammonia for George. And maybe get a smaller bucket. Lol!

A cardinal is missing this morning and another is acting standoffish - like the one that died yesterday did. I'm sure it will die today. I am resigning myself to the likelihood that I will lose all of the cardinals. The others all seem to be doing well. Only one white spot left on one of the embers.

This is very disheartening. =(

So I have a question I am wrestling with. I am down to 7 cardinals out of 14. I think 2 more will pass today. The other fish seem to be recovering from the ich spots, but not the cardinals. Would it be better to euthanize the rest of the cardinals? The two that I think will pass have many white spots, possibly dozens. Or should I let them have their fighting chance and see what happens? The other 5 cardinals do still have good color and not as many spots. I don't like killing any animal, it's not my nature. But what's best here?

In the meantime I'm putting these harsh meds in with my other 9 fish in this tank.

Imo, I'd give the chance. You gotta medicate the tank anyways for the others. The ich will fall off sooner or later. Some fish are stronger than what you think. If everyone is still eating that's a good sign. Just be patience. These things take time. Just a lesson we all go through in this hobbie. The biggest thing's to have in this hobbie is patience, and dedication.?

2 more cardinals dead this morning. Down to 5. The cardinals are the only fish I've lost so far. Even though I love the look of them, I don't think I'll restock them when this is all over. The embers have proven themselves very hardy. I think I want yellow in my tank next. I have the orange embers and the blue betta. Yellow.

This morning 1 cardinal missing and another on deathwatch. I netted it and put it in a floating cup. And then there were three.

Everybody else continues to do well.

UPDATE: Found the missing cardinal. It is dead. It was trapped in a nook of the spider wood. The one in the cup died.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a good thing you got George out of there with that mediation. It's strong for some fish. I would never use it on my bettas. I like jungle fungus clear for fungus/ bacteria infections, it also works for pop eye, and bloat. But for ich: salt,heat, and vacuum with water changes. And most tetras are sensitive too. spots gone yet?

If you wanta speed up the process turn the heat up. 86-88 slowly just so the ich will fall off and be able to die from the meds. Just make sure your fish can handle the heat.

Back
Top Bottom