55gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superfish425

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am new to Cichlids and I wanted make sure I do my hw before I start anything. I currently have a planted 29g community tank.
I was thinking for my 55g stock
4 Jack Dempsey
2 red tail sharks
2 Plecos
I'd get a eheim canister filter 2215
Lighting current USA satellite with a ramp timer
I'd love to get an Oscar but I think my tank would be too small

JDs grow 8-10 inches, a common pleco can reach a foot and the red tail sharks would most likely be killed. I don't know much about JDs but you might be able to put 2 juveniles in with a large pleco so it's always bigger than it and they should be ok when they get full grown. But it may be hard keeping 2 because they can be very nasty

Yeah bad idea you maybe can go with one full grown jack Dempsey but that's it they get very big and very aggressive

I have a 2217 for my 60g and glad I got it over the 2215, definitely not too much flow or anything.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion Jacks are too big for a 55, 75 minimum. 55's work great for Mbuna, or Peacocks, also Tropheus, and other smaller tangs (under 6") Victorian cichlids are good,
If you wanted to do SA, Firemouths, Rainbow Cichlids, (smaller SA's)
Also Convicts.
A 55 is a great sized tank, the possibilities are endless, however, keeping it too smaller fish (6" and under) will make life a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom