60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holey rock is a good idea, will help buffer your water. I would add some crushed coral to that substrate. Driftwood can lower PH overtime, africans like higher PH. Good start, keep us posted with some pics when your done

Paint the back of the tank black, you'll be happy you did in the long run, looks allot better than plastic.

I prefer hunks of basalt or rounder River rocks to make up a scape. Here are a few of my tanks to give you an idea. The first is my old 55 gallon grow out for my Placidochromis Phenochilus with the basalt, the second is of my Central American 40B for Cryptoheros nanoluteus with the river rock.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420688580.939267.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420688701.333030.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Holey rock is a good idea, will help buffer your water. I would add some crushed coral to that substrate. Driftwood can lower PH overtime, africans like higher PH. Good start, keep us posted with some pics when your done

That tiny piece of wood will hardly alter the PH. I've had size able pieces of wood in various tanks and noticed little to no PH drop. If there's sufficient crushed coral, holey rock even with a larger piece of wood there won't be much PH drop.

That tiny piece of wood will hardly alter the PH. I've had size able pieces of wood in various tanks and noticed little to no PH drop. If there's sufficient crushed coral, holey rock even with a larger piece of wood there won't be much PH drop.

yea im not saying that small piece would do anything, it's just something to think about. I'm not really a fan of drift wood in african aquariums, it doesn't look natural. Everyone has their own taste though

In an Mbuna tank Id agree wood looks a little out of place but in an HAP or Peacock tank it strangely works. Here's a picture of my buddies 8' 240g hap tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420691653.866227.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to do something about the background if it doesn't flatten out in a few days, its just a trash bag. I have rock similar to yours in another tank mogurako. I was considering river rock, don't know where'd I'd get it though. I like the slate but its kinda red, so it doesn't match the substrate perfect. I can always return it if worse comes to worse. I DEFINITELY like the holey rock though! Cant wait to order it.

Holey rock is great but waaay to expensive, that $$ that could better spent on good filtration or quality fish stock. Go to your local landscaping supply yard of rock quarry and you'll be able to get tons of different types of rocks for around 25-35¢ a pound.

All the rock that's in my tanks I collect and pack out of local rivers. That's all I use now because it's free and I get exercise collecting it.

I'm definitely going to have to do something about the background if it doesn't flatten out in a few days, its just a trash bag. I have rock similar to yours in another tank mogurako. I was considering river rock, don't know where'd I'd get it though. I like the slate but its kinda red, so it doesn't match the substrate perfect. I can always return it if worse comes to worse. I DEFINITELY like the holey rock though! Cant wait to order it.

Like Mog said I would deff paint the back I just did this for the 1st time on my 55 and its great. How ever I went with a light blue. The paint and a mini touch up roller with tray at walmart cost about the same as a background. I did 3 coats.
img_3129521_0_8a62d192598a686e70247f264618e05e.jpg

Not sure if I'm brave enough to paint it, I hate the idea of it being permanent. Will forsure get a nice background from petco thats black though. Im still not sold on the red slate, I think once the tanks filled though it will darken up from being wet so I'm giving it a chance. And thats a good point on the holey rock, It is VERY expensive. Still really liking the look of it though.

OH and nice tanks everyone!! Hope mine looks that nice soon:)

Not sure if I'm brave enough to paint it, I hate the idea of it being permanent. Will forsure get a nice background from peptic thats black though. Im still not sold on the red slate, I think once the tanks filled though it will darken up from being wet so I'm giving it a chance. And thats I could point on the holey rock, It is VERY expensive. Still really liking the look of it though.

OH and nice tanks everyone!! Hope mine looks that nice soon:)

That's best part of painting glass especially with acrylic or spray paint it comes right off with a razor blade. I just took blue off the back of my 125 and painted it black to match my other one.

Like Mog said I would deff paint the back I just did this for the 1st time on my 55 and its great. How ever I went with a light blue. The paint and a mini touch up roller with tray at walmart cost about the same as a background. I did 3 coats.
img_3129546_0_8a62d192598a686e70247f264618e05e.jpg

Mike is that blue as light as it looks or is it just the reflection of the light?

Its not quite as bright as the sides look. The middle is a high reflection of light. The camera really makes it look lighter than it is but I should have gone a shade darker. Its about the same as you would see in most LFS. Tanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also the difference between my 33l with black on black and the 55 with the blue and sand with the same light it incredible. I purchased the fluval eco led and was disappointed with it but on the 55 its a whole different story. Almost too bright.

Here it is wet so just a little darker
url]

Here it is wet so just a little darker
url]

That is kind of the light side, my fish room in all black background with natural colored sand. I want to try a darker green and brown backgrounds next on a display tank.

I've got the same contrast as mike! I can't decide which I like better, they both have their own unique characteristics that make me smile.. plant and stock make them work in the end..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was shooting for a color that would reflect the light rather than absorb it. I like it so far. I plan to add more plants at the back until the lyonsi gets big enough to rip them out.

That is kind of the light side, my fish room in all black background with natural colored sand. I want to try a darker green and brown backgrounds next on a display tank.

I was wanting to try a brown background on mine to! I might just have to do that now

I was wanting to try a brown background on mine to! I might just have to do that now

I would experiment with poster board. Its cheap and comes in many colors then when you find what you like have it matched at a hardware store and paint away.

I would experiment with poster board. Its cheap and comes in many colors then when you find what you like have it matched at a hardware store and paint away.

Do you think it would take away from the color of the fish?

Back
Top Bottom