60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
So just yesterday, I finally got a larger tank that I had been wanting for a while. It's the Marineland 60 gallon heartland aquarium ensemble! It comes with tank, stand, hood, and lights. Great deal at petsmart right now, only $249.99 online and in stores!

All I need to decide on is filters, heaters, substrate, aquascape, and fish now, no biggie lol. I was wondering on what your guys input is on the Marineland emperor 400 filter? I was considering getting that, it's 400 gph. But then I did some research and found the Aqueon quiet flow power filter 55/75 is much cheaper and is also 400 gph, I could practically get 2 aqueons for the price of 1 Marineland. What would you guys recommend?

Also how many watts should the heater be? Should I get one heater for the whole tank or 2 smaller wattage heaters on separate ends?

For fish, Im going to go with Africans, Ive done tons of research on them and have kept them in the past(not in an appropriate sized aquarium)so Im excited to give them an environment that will suit them! How many could I add to this tank. I like brichardi, yellow labs, white socolofi, yellow tail acei, various peacocks, and zebras. How would you stock these Africans for my size tank?

Just want to thank everyone now for all the help! I'll post pictures ASAP! :)

If you can swing it I would go either with 2 emperor 400 or 2 aquaclear 110
either way shoot for at least 10 X per hour advertised gph because when you add media it drops.
heater I would say at least 1 250W

If you can swing it I would go either with 2 emperor 400 or 2 aquaclear 110
either way shoot for at least 10 X per hour advertised gph because when you add media it drops.
heater I would say at least 1 250W

Trying to spend less than $60 on filtration, the emperors retail around $50 so 2 would be a little pricey. I have an AC 50 on my 28 gallon community and am not very fond of it. I don't think the flow is very strong on it and I'm always having problems with the impeller. So leaning away from AC's.

Are the hydro theo heaters any good? I was looking into them or an aqueon one.

Filtration is on thing you shouldn't skimp on, get either 2 emperor 400s, 2 AC/Fluval 110, Marineland HOT Magnum, or a used canister filter. I've never personally had any issues with AC filters, and feel they are superior to many of the HOB. You may have just gotten a dud, which happens from time to time even with great manufactures.

As far as a heater goes I tend get the Eheim Jäger heaters, 75 -100 watts should do the trick. True a smaller heater will take a little longer to heat up but it will spend less time turning off and on. Heaters only have so many times they can blink off and on before the reliability starts to go on them.

Also what are the dimensions on the tank? I'm lazy, it's early and I don't want to look it up. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its 48" x 13" x 24"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is a very good point, so you don't think the 2 aqueon 55/75 's is a good idea? If not I'll probably go with the 2 marineland emperors. They both provide the same gph(400).

I've never looked into the eheim heaters, I'll have to do that! I was also looking at the aqueon pro heater. It has really good reviews.

That is a very good point, so you don't think the 2 aqueon 55/75 's is a good idea? If not I'll probably go with the 2 marineland emperors. They both provide the same gph(400).

I've never looked into the eheim heaters, I'll have to do that! I was also looking at the aqueon pro heater. It has really good reviews.

No, I don't think those will cut it, the 400s will be fine for awhile but should still be upgraded later on.

The Aqueon heaters are over priced for what they are IMO. If I don't use the Jäger heaters I'll use PennPlax Casades or Aquatops.

I have had a marine land emperor 400 for 3 years now. I love it. If you fill it up, turn it on and keep pouring water in while its priming it keeps the noise down. I found that if I just filled it and turned it on without continuing to pour water in while it primed it was noisier running. I replace the filter cartridges every so often but have never had to replace the bio wheels. The marine lands are a good investment. I want to get another 400 to add onto my tank.

Ok so I finally picked up my tank from petsmart!! It's so big compared to what I'm used to! I decided on 1 Marineland emperor 400 for now and I will get another eventually, and the Aqueon 200 watt heater! I hope the image shows up

88553-albums14240-picture68083.jpg

Can't fill the tank until I get my rec room repainted(the room the tanks in), which should be done by friday or saturday hopefully! I picked out horrible colors for the walls 1st time around! They're getting changed to a neutral taupe color.

So the next thing I need to decide on is substrate. Im leaning towards an earth toned gravel like this.

Pure Water Pebbles African Cichlid Substrates at PETCO

I don't want to do sand bc i have it in all of my other tanks and want to do something different. How many pounds do you guys think ill need for my tank?

go with crushed coral, it will help buffer your water and your africans will love you for it lol. What is your PH from the tap?

go with crushed coral, it will help buffer your water and your africans will love you for it lol. What is your PH from the tap?

Ill look into it! and about 7.6-7.8 so its pretty high.

Looked up the crushed coral, most off its an off white. Not sure if I like it or not. I'm looking for more of an earth toned look.

my PH is 7.8 from the tap and all my fish are doing great. Africans like higher PH and hard water you should be fine. The crushed coral will buffer your water

When you are dealing with wild caught fish you have to be more precise with the PH. Tank raised fish will adapt to your PH, just keep it consistent.

I prefer the sand, its just easier to keep clean with cichlids. These are messy fish and with those pebbles your going to spend alot of time gravel vacing all the gunk that falls between them. I had black gravel which looked really nice in my tank but was a pain to keep clean. I switched over to sand in all of my tanks. They do have some black and darker sands, but ultimately its what you like

you might like some of these
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+8976&pcatid=8976

I prefer the sand, its just easier to keep clean with cichlids. These are messy fish and with those pebbles your going to spend alot of time gravel vacing all the gunk that falls between them. I had black gravel which looked really nice in my tank but was a pain to keep clean. I switched over to sand in all of my tanks. They do have some black and darker sands, but ultimately its what you like

Ya I totally know what you mean! I had gravel in a planted tank once and anytime I'd uproot a plant or move things around, dirt from with gravel would go EVERYWHERE. Basically I'm open to any type of substrate that is light brown, sand or gravel.

Ok so I went to Petco and bought a few things. I believe the color of the gravel I got is nutmeg(Might mix in some crushed coral) its 60 pounds, then I got 3 pieces of large slate.

This picture is just a hardscape, no where near finished. The white holey rock in there now will be removed eventually and replaced with a much larger and real piece of texas holey rock(I'll add link of the 1 I want.) Then my dad wants to add a sunken ship(not sure why but he's funding this so I have to consider what he wants lol) I found a decent 1 on eBay that should match, ill add the link, then ill also add a few tall plastic plants when I can get my hands on some, also have a few more pieces of driftwood leftover that I could possibly add.

So what do you guys think so far?

88553-albums14240-picture68096.jpg

Back
Top Bottom