Albino Pacu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdgriggs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Albino Pacu--Anyone know where can I find these to purchase in the Tampa area?

David-Belleair Beach

ask a retailer to order one from their wholesaler, they are available. By the way, pacu get large and not recommended for home aquaria or even business aquaria really.

I have seen ppl keep r
Them in swimming pool sized ponds...we used to sell them at petsmart but i would reccommend ppl not get them bexause they get huge...there is a lake here that ppl let them go in and now ppl are afraid of the lake because they think they are huge pirhannas

Yeah, reminds me of an episode of "River Monsters," where Jeremy Wade went in search of a fish that had reportedly killed somebody by biting and castrating him. Jeremy caught the type of fish responsible, a Pacu. A fish native to the Amazon, where they need their molar-like teeth to crack into the tough cases of nuts and seeds. The Pacu was introduced in Papua New Guinea years ago as a resource for fishing, and are now able to grow to 40 lb because their diet now consists of meat instead of a vegetarian only diet.

Yeah, reminds me of an episode of "River Monsters," where Jeremy Wade went in search of a fish that had reportedly killed somebody by biting and castrating him. Jeremy caught the type of fish responsible, a Pacu. A fish native to the Amazon, where they need their molar-like teeth to crack into the tough cases of nuts and seeds. The Pacu was introduced in Papua New Guinea years ago as a resource for fishing, and are now able to grow to 40 lb because their diet now consists of meat instead of a vegetarian only diet.

Yeah, I saw that episode. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Nut Cracker" doesn't it? lol:lol: When I was in Brazil, I heard the locals talk about Pacu growing up to near 70-75 lbs. The ones we caught for dinner were only in the 10 lb range (thankfully, I think ;)) I'm not sure I want to mess with a Pacu over 20 lbs. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom