Auratus cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could I put 1 male and 3 females with my red zebras, yellow labs, and and kenyi?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Forgot to mention it's 55 gallons. I've heard that they can cause chaos tho, should I worry about that if I have females for him?

Forgot to mention it's 55 gallons. I've heard that they can cause chaos tho, should I worry about that if I have females for him?

Okay,
1st thing: 55G is definitely enough.
2nd thing: there is no FACTUAL answer to this, it is all trial and error.
3rd thing: I've heard the exact same stories that you have about these fish, but the horror stories are the ones that get told, you would never hear about someone having success with these fish because that's simply not exciting. Just think about it.
4th thing: you will NEVER know how any of the fish react to each other, my Yellow Labs are my most dominant fish in my tank so that speaks for itself.
5th thing: if you're wanting to breed Auratus then sure, put in some females for him. In my experience, no amount of females will calm down a dominant male.
Personally, I think the females look better than the males, I'd just get 4 females and not risk a male.

Anyways, it's still ALL trial and error, you will never know what will happen unless you just go for it.
Maybe you could let your supplier know that this will be an experiment and perhaps get an extended warranty type deal in case something does go wrong.

I like that idea, thanks. I just think the males look different than any others because of the dark black and gold. I think I'll try that

I like that idea, thanks. I just think the males look different than any others because of the dark black and gold. I think I'll try that

Well my LFS only stocks females so I'm a tad biased ?

All Mbunas have the potential to wreck havoc in the tank. My Auratus are actually the peacekeepers in mine and like was said earlier my Yellow Labs are also the more agressive thus far along with my Johannii. I think part of the charm is that all these fish definitely have there own personality and can all react differently even with all else the same

Well my LFS only stocks females so I'm a tad biased ?

No, your lfs stocks juvies, the males will change colors when they mature. Generally speaking a 55 is too small for auratus and anything else, they claim a territory larger than the tank. It may work for a while, but when the male/s mature and start guarding their territory anything that can't get away or find cover will be trashed quickly or stressed to death slowly.

Okay,
1st thing: 55G is definitely enough.
2nd thing: there is no FACTUAL answer to this, it is all trial and error.
3rd thing: I've heard the exact same stories that you have about these fish, but the horror stories are the ones that get told, you would never hear about someone having success with these fish because that's simply not exciting. Just think about it.
4th thing: you will NEVER know how any of the fish react to each other, my Yellow Labs are my most dominant fish in my tank so that speaks for itself.
5th thing: if you're wanting to breed Auratus then sure, put in some females for him. In my experience, no amount of females will calm down a dominant male.
Personally, I think the females look better than the males, I'd just get 4 females and not risk a male.

Anyways, it's still ALL trial and error, you will never know what will happen unless you just go for it.
Maybe you could let your supplier know that this will be an experiment and perhaps get an extended warranty type deal in case something does go wrong.

This has to be the most solid to the point advice I've seen on African cichlids.
With cichlids, especially Africans, there is no set rule on their behavior, trial and error has been what works for many, including myself. I have been keeping Africans for a few years and every time I get a new one or a few, I always have a plan B and I have used plan B many times to balance the aggression. Mind you that a little chasing around once in a while is not what I'm referring to, I mean the one fish that wants to take the tank for himself even if it means hurting other fish.

No, your lfs stocks juvies, the males will change colors when they mature. Generally speaking a 55 is too small for auratus and anything else, they claim a territory larger than the tank. It may work for a while, but when the male/s mature and start guarding their territory anything that can't get away or find cover will be trashed quickly or stressed to death slowly.

Nopeeee, they're all female..

Also, you don't know that every fish will react in the same way, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for the OP.

I know quite a few people whose setup is much 'crazier' than keeping Auratus in a 55.

I have experience with these fish and I say try it at your own risk it. I had a male in an all male tank and he was aggressive chasing all lower ranked fish but wasn't the tank boss, kept in check by my red zebra

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At about 2 1/2 inches I'd say my auratus is the tank bully, will have to keep an eye out when it gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom