Blue ram cichlid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw it at the store and instantly fell in love with it.
My tank isn't quite ready for fish but when it is that little guy is definitely on my list.
I went online to seek parameters for it but I came across something I questioned.
A site claimed that the blue ram required a ph of 5!?
That's.. Well way off what our water here is, so if it really is 5 then it'll be a fish I won't be getting, just seems like it's a little absurd. Maybe it's just me.
Thoughts?

Gvillboy said:
That's crazy I think that may be wrong....

At least I'm not the only one!
And this wasn't just a random site, looked pretty upstanding, I'll try and find the link.

Yea that what I was thinking because I have a pair now and my Ph in there stays around 7.6 and they are just fine

Gvillboy said:
Yea that what I was thinking because I have a pair now and my Ph in there stays around 7.6 and they are just fine

Perfect!
Haha, silly websites. Everyone knows that first hand experience is better ^-^
our tap(well) water seems to enjoy taunting ^me with it's 8.4ph, and none of the "ph 7.0" or "ph down" seem to do anything.
I've heard about peat moss. Should I try using that (and how) or is there another maybe better solution?

I would say you need someone else to answer that. lol I have no clue...my water stays in the area of 7.6-8.0 so I never worry about changing my ph....sorry

Gvillboy said:
I would say you need someone else to answer that. lol I have no clue...my water stays in the area of 7.6-8.0 so I never worry about changing my ph....sorry

No worries, you've helped ^me in other ways, and for that I thank you.

Perfect!
Haha, silly websites. Everyone knows that first hand experience is better ^-^
our tap(well) water seems to enjoy taunting ^me with it's 8.4ph, and none of the "ph 7.0" or "ph down" seem to do anything.
I've heard about peat moss. Should I try using that (and how) or is there another maybe better solution?

I too was having issues with the pH and reading too much into what the GBR's require in terms of optimal pH. I believe that the captive bred GBR's are more resilient to higher pH levels than their wild-caught brethren. Although I think that most GBR's you find in the LFS now of these days are a result of a lot captive breeding. Anyway, I was told to leave pH alone in most cases... You can read my thread in which I had similar issues as you and the folks on this forum sure helped me out:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/help-with-lowering-ph-levels-advice-please-125996.html

i have 2 gbr's and i use ro water to keep the ph at 6.5. gbr's do need a lower ph to do really well imo. they might be able to survive higher ph (although something in the high 7's low 8's is too high) they will not thrive like gbr's kept in a lower ph. you should always research what the fish require as far as ph, temp, and compatability. google the breed you're interested in. if you can't provide what your research tells you, than you should select another fish. gbr's that are kept in the lfs in a higher ph will only be ther for a few weeks. when you buy them and bring them home, you have to think they might live a few years so the effects of the water will start to show and the fish will not be as healthy or as colorful as they could be. they also like soft water. i buy ro water at a machine outside a grocery store. this water has a ph of about 6.5 and is free of all chemicals. i add seachem trace elements to replace what the ro filtration removes. rams also need a water change every few days (around 20%) to keep water as fresh as possible. all fish benefit from frequent water changes and weekly gravel cleaning. i would advise you to make the changes needed to lower your ph (ro or spring water. NOT chemicals) or reconsider the gbr's. there are many lovely fish that do well in a higher ph aquarium

I live in mo and apparently our tap was has very high ph. We have a tank with nothing but rams and they do great. We have some German blues, Bolivian? And electric blue. Everyone is happy and healthy. I think as long as it's constant it should be ok. That's just me though, I'm no expert.

Tracie6283 said:
I live in mo and apparently our tap was has very high ph. We have a tank with nothing but rams and they do great. We have some German blues, Bolivian? And electric blue. Everyone is happy and healthy. I think as long as it's constant it should be ok. That's just me though, I'm no expert.

So far from what I've heard the "constant" ph is what is best.
I will try and see about reverse osmosis water, might be a good investment. If not, I'll test my water and see what it's at.

Constant ph is best for fish but from everything I've read GBRs are a little sensitive. If I were u I would just go with Bolivian rams. I love GBR but I won't chance it. I hear they up and die
For no reason so I would try and get as close to what they need as possible. You know ?

Flossie said:
Constant ph is best for fish but from everything I've read GBRs are a little sensitive. If I were u I would just go with Bolivian rams. I love GBR but I won't chance it. I hear they up and die
For no reason so I would try and get as close to what they need as possible. You know ?

I 100% agree with you.
I just checked our tap water though... On the ph scale it seemed like it was at 7.2! Maybe even a little less.
I'll do a more detailed scan when I start to fill my tank up.
I won't be getting any fish until the end of the month. So I'll be sure I know what I'm working with.

Honestly I've only lost 2 blue rams and that was at the beginning before we knew about fishless cycling. We have beautiful gbr's and they are even breeding at this point. Good luck with what you decide! Also the electric blue ram is super pretty!

Crew said:
I 100% agree with you.
I just checked our tap water though... On the ph scale it seemed like it was at 7.2! Maybe even a little less.
I'll do a more detailed scan when I start to fill my tank up.
I won't be getting any fish until the end of the month. So I'll be sure I know what I'm working with.

Awesome well keep us updated:) my ph is 8.2 outta tap :(( hope it works for u :)

I have a colony of pygmy killifish (leptolucania ommata) that are local here but they are also found in the okeefenokee swamp which has a ph of 3.7.

Rams are extremely sensitive, I suggest waiting till the tank matures a bit more, they have a habit of randomly dying for no reason, imagine if they are given one.

jetajockey said:
I have a colony of pygmy killifish (leptolucania ommata) that are local here but they are also found in the okeefenokee swamp which has a ph of 3.7.

Rams are extremely sensitive, I suggest waiting till the tank matures a bit more, they have a habit of randomly dying for no reason, imagine if they are given one.

I'll be making sure that the tap water ph isn't fluctuating. I am able to wait longer for the ram, just some things I'd like to start getting in action.
The ram won't be the first fish I put in my tank. So I'll be sure it's 100% prepared/ready.

it sounds to me like you are thinking everything out and i'm sure you'll make the right decision when the time comes. including a few pics of my rams. good luck:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom