compatible with..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok i have a question. what other fish are compatible with angelfish? i know the usual larger tetras and the likes but im thinking bigger and more colorfull.. for example, would a parrot fish be compatible? i tried a search came up with some hits, but nothing interesting.. :?

thats a good chart thanks. i was just wondering if there was any more "exotic" species that you guys have housed together with angels. i like the killifish listed on there. this weekend there is going to be a swap meet by me and i wanted to see if i can pick up something "different". im getting bored with common freshwater species and from my last experience at an auction i know you can pick up some cool fish there. the first time i saw a killi was at the auction. i've never seen them at any LFS and same goes for endlers?. any suggestions and comments are ecouraged..

definetly not parrots, depending on what type you get. MOst get very big and can even beat up arowanas close to twice theyre size soooo.......

Killis would be really cool with them. just make sure you dont get a small one that lives a year or less.

try aqualandpetsplus.com

they have pages on different fish so you should be able to find something you like,ask thoough if itll be okay since theyre info isnt always totally correct , like theyre gator gars can be stunted and be kept in a 55 gallon tank.

I had parrots for over a year and they were peaceful, but it is basically a hit or miss. Some are very aggressive and some are very docile. I had one that would get picked on by a pleco. :roll: Even though they are both South/Central American Cichlids, I wouldn't put them together. The Parrots get rather large in size and need at least a minimum of 75 gal, IMO.

Killies are pretty cool, I actually saw my first one last weekend. :) Hatchets are another good choice, but can be finicky with water conditions. I lost all 5 when I did a water change (mysterious deaths). They are unusual looking fish. :D That's why I got them. Also try going to a large fish store and seeing what they have in stock and see what interests you.

i've had silver hatchets before, i was at a LFS last weekend and saw that they started carrying marble hatchets!! i have never seen them in person till that day. i'm going to go pick some up this weekend..

Also try going to a large fish store and seeing what they have in stock and see what interests you.

thats the problem, most of the stores around me are smaller owner ran stores and have the same boring selection. :cry:

Angelfish are pretty much compatible with anythign that 1- wont nip its fins or 2- isn't small enough for a full grown angel to eat

Corycatfish are good, all varieties of loaches are good... I saw some in at the LFS they had the huge angelfish with these huge red fish with foreheads.. are those parrot fish??? Not to sure but they were in a huge display aquaruim and it looked awesome.

and that chart is pretty useless in my opinion, it says that killifish and guppies are compatible!!! I had a killifish that ate 3 guppies in one day! Full grown killifish, full grown guppies.

yah im pretty sure what you saw where parrot fish, does anyone know if they would be compatible with any other south american cichlids? they all seem interesting but i have no idea about compatibility and the cichlids sites that i've found dont mention anything about them..

You could keep angels with rams. You could also keep them with boesemani rainbows, which are relatively large and colorful. I kept angels with a dwarf gourami once, though there was a great deal of sparring between the DG and one angel in particular.

Parrots should be kept with semi-aggressive larger fish IMO. There really are not any guidelines set in stone since Parrots personalities vary with each fish. You could get a real mean one that will pester all of the other fish, or you could get one that would get picked on by just about everything. I kept them with Africans for about 8 months without problems. But we wanted to get a male and female of each African so we had to lose the parrots. Sad too because they were so beautiful and I had grown very attached to them.

Parrots are touch and go, I have two. I can keep mine with tiger barbs, silver dollars, figure eight puffers, plecos, and cichlids (the common ones sold at Wal-mart, kinda rectangular in shape). I can not house a betta in the same tank. The best I could say if you wanted to try one keep an eye on thier interaction together, and have a contingency plan.

Parrots need a 75...? Since when? I've always heard that a 55 was sufficient, and they don't get -that- big.

Parrots are touch and go, I have two. I can keep mine with tiger barbs, silver dollars, figure eight puffers, plecos, and cichlids

Figure-8s are not only aggressive, but brackish fish. Their lives are severely shortened if kept in Freshwater, I've heard they only live about 3 years in it (as opposed to up to 18 in Brackish).

Like I said, In My Opinion, they need a 75 gal tank. Cichlids are very messy fish. Parrots are no exception. They can reach up to 8 inches in size. IMO, that's pretty big. You could keep them in a 55 gal tank, but I like to upgrade tank sizes and not put them in the minimum required tank size. For example, I've heard that it is ok to put a school of 5 cories in a 10 gal tank. Would I do it? Absolutely not. IMO it's too small of a tank for 5 fish to be in the bottom level. Some people do it and it works well for them. I just don't like to do that.

Pulled from parrotcichlid.com

A new member mentioned this to me, and I just have to reiterate what he said: Parrot Cichlids need at LEAST a 30 gallon tank. They are strong swimmers and they grow BIG!!! 30 gallons will only do for a couple of years. If you keep the water clean and feed them, you will easily need a 50 gallon tank or larger, eventually. Pet stores are notorious for under-representing the potential size of these little guys. Don't believe them if they tell you a 10 gallon will do!

Fair enough, I suppose. >.> Pretty typical for this site, when I'm planning my stocking for my 55 a parrot fish is fine, and as soon as I get the tank set up and finished someone says otherwise. :p

Pretty typical for this site, when I'm planning my stocking for my 55 a parrot fish is fine, and as soon as I get the tank set up and finished someone says otherwise

When it comes to fish, nothing is concrete. :) Like I said, I like to upgrade tank sizes. It would be like me living in a 1 bedroom loft. It's perfectly fine for me to live in it by myself. But I would REALLY enjoy living in that big 2 story 4 bedroom house. You're from Texas. Don't you know, bigger is always better. :D

But as I said, it's just my opinion. I kept Parrots for a year and they were originally in a 55 gal tank. When we upgraded to a 150, I didn't feel like they should still be in the 55 gal because of their size. The biggest was about 5 inches at the time. He liked to dart around the tank and the 55 just wasn't adequate for his personality.

Like I said, In My Opinion, they need a 75 gal tank. Cichlids are very messy fish. Parrots are no exception. They can reach up to 8 inches in size. IMO, that's pretty big. You could keep them in a 55 gal tank, but I like to upgrade tank sizes and not put them in the minimum required tank size. For example, I've heard that it is ok to put a school of 5 cories in a 10 gal tank. Would I do it? Absolutely not. IMO it's too small of a tank for 5 fish to be in the bottom level. Some people do it and it works well for them. I just don't like to do that.

Any tank is too small for any fish. Home aquariums provide nowhere near enough room than they would have in the wild, but I don't want to start an argument.

I keep my parrot in a 55 gal. I bought him at 6 in long and three years later, he is probably only 6.5 in long now.

BTW- I keep my parrot with an angel. The parrot chases him from time to time, but no damage was done. However, I too, would not recommend keeping them together because parrots are more energetic and boisterous, while angels are slow-moving and calm.

Mine's not too big on darting around. He likes to stare down the brown knife fish, the knife fish makes a slight movement towards him, he loses his bravery and retreats to his cave. Rinse and repeat. :p They're quite a pair, when they aren't mock-arguing they're hanging out together.

Either way, I have absolutely no room for a tank bigger than 55 gallons.

Any tank is too small for any fish. Home aquariums provide nowhere near enough room than they would have in the wild, but I don't want to start an argument.

Ah, yes, but parrot fish are not found in the wild. :) Didn't think of THAT one, did ya?

Back
Top Bottom