discus AND rams?:s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sldp999

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi,
i have a question.
will blue german rams get along with discus?
thanks

If you are thinking about putting discus in a 30g tank I'd stop right there and forget it. I see from your other tread that you have your rams in a 30g tank. Unless you have a large tank for the discus like a 55g (I recommend a minimum of a 75g for 6 discus) you shouldn't be keeping them.

hi,
i've seen alot of people just have one discus
in a 20 gallon tank
and they have been very successful.
thanks

Discus are not best kept alone. Just because people do it doesn't mean the fish are happy. We have to think about what is best for the fish not just what we would like.

hi,
i've seen alot of people just have one discus
in a 20 gallon tank
and they have been very successful.
thanks

Have you done ANY research on discus? If you have, you would know that they are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 5-6+. But if you'd like to go against my advice, and the advice of others that keep them including Zagz, and countless experts that say discus NEED to be in groups then by all means do so. I'll keep an eye out for your next thread in a couple of weeks where you ask why your discus isn't doing well. Good luck!

hi,
the only reason i'm considering putting discus in my 30gallon tank is because
in a few months (3orso). i'm transfering everything in a bigger tank. then i can buy 5 more discus.
i just want one right now to see and have experience with a discus before i go buy 5 more disus.
so please dont judge me right way.
thanks

hi,
the only reason i'm considering putting discus in my 30gallon tank is because
in a few months (3orso). i'm transfering everything in a bigger tank. then i can buy 5 more discus.
i just want one right now to see and have experience with a discus before i go buy 5 more disus.
so please dont judge me right way.
thanks

Would you buy a corvette if you could only drive it in a parking lot? I ask this because that's the equivalent of what you are saying when you want a SINGLE discus. If you don't have the space to drive the corvette, there's no sense in buying it as you are wasting your money and you won't get the performance out of the car that you paid all of that money for.

hi,
my 30 gallon tho is the new standard. so its much longer(horizonal). its honestly bigger than you think.

You obviously don't get my point. Sure, one discus may fit in there and so may 3. I know breeders that keep breeding pairs in 20H tanks and this is perfectly fine, because they are a BREEDING PAIR and they don't fight with each other. However, you seem to be missing the point that it's not whether the fish will FIT into the tank, it's whether it will WORK. I can tell you right now and all experts would agree with me that discus should be kept in groups of 5-6. This is because discus form a hierarchy and there will always be a leader and the weakest discus. With two you have one powerful and one weak. With three you have two picking on one. With four you have the aggression spread out a little more but it's still not a good number. With five you are at the minimum of a school size for discus to work for aggression to be spread out enough for all to be healthy. A single discus is not a good idea because it will just sit in the tank and will be stressed wondering where all of the other discus are. It will feel lost and will most likely become ill in a matter of a couple weeks. They need the socialization in order to survive.

So, once again, this is not about SIZE of the tank. I'm guessing your tank is roughly 30 inches long...not bigger than I think. I know how large tanks are, I have many 10's, a couple of 29's, a 55 and a 5ft 100g. I am very familiar with what will work in tanks but if you'd like to ignore my advice and get a single discus thinking that you knwo more than me and countless experts please go ahead and do so. Don't be surprised when I post an "I told you so" comment on your future thread. I'll offer you no further advice in that thread seeing as how you have completely disregarded any useful information provided in this one.

did i ever say that i wont take your advice?
when did i agree to actually do this project. i simply want any insights.
you turn this around in a meaningless thread.
you made some good points. i knew all this already.
but "what didnt work for others may work for me. what works for other may not work for me."..

i dont mind getting a breeding pair. even tho they are expensive.

i just lost two male germans. thinking it will help the females but they didnt.
its trials and error. we all are different. we need to know what works for us. inorder to do so, we must make mistakes, to learn from them.
YES, i know we're dealing with life here.
but please just trust me i will make the right choice. most likely i wont get them cause my 30 gallon is almost complete. so i will wait till i get a bigger tank.

So you are going to go out and spend $500 on a breeding pair and you have ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE with discus???? BLAH HAHAHA .....good luck! That's going to be a very expensive life lesson for you if you do that.

Just curious, if you knew all of the points that I made, why did you even bother with this thread? I didn't make it meaningless...it was meaningless from the start. If you can't keep rams alive for more than a week then I can't imagine how short discus would live under your care.

yo dont blame the death on me alright.
that was on call for .
yes i can afford that . and why would you pay $500 dollars when i can get them from a private and i know and hes going to give it for me for $150.
i've been nice to you but now you're being rude.
shut up and dont talk anymore. its just **** coming out of your mouth now.

Please stop the sensless bickering since it helps no one. The OP has been given advice and it is up to them to decide if they want to accept it. If the OP does not want to accept the advice and you no longer wish to participate then simply stop posting. bs6749, your voice is one of many so instead of further escalating an altercation perhaps it would be prudent to provide actual literature where your points can be shown. Vinegar...honey...you know the saying ;)

i'm basing this on alot of people who had experience with disus that has small tanks.
my friend, has 3 disus in a 30gallon tank for almost 3 years now and they all look happy. i just met a guy from a fish auction that told me he had 2 discus in his 25 gallon tank and never had problems. and the guy that told him about discus had 35 gallon tank that had 3 discus for couple of years and never had problems.
so dont say its impossible or wrong to put discus in small tank. YES, people will disagree but they dont know untill your in that situation.

Just in addition to what Innovator has already said, if a truce can not be had here, the thread will be locked down. That would seem a shame since information is what we are all after. Please refrain from making it so personal and walk away if you feel the need to attack or "bicker". It helps no one and serves no purpose.

Perhaps since you are planning on getting a bigger tank and since you said you do not have experiance with Discus, it might be better to wait until you have the bigger tank setup and cycled and take advantage of the time in between to read up or ask others questions about Discus and get nicely educated on Discus Keeping and Care so you can avoid any dissapointment that may result from rushing things a bit. I know Discus are very nice to keep and many people get very excited at the prospect of having these beautiful fish in their Aquariums and it is sometimes hard to have patience but patience often is nicely rewarded for both you and the fish you keep. Remember advice offered and ignored is wasted for all concerned and it is offered in the spirit of what is in the best interest of all of us as well as the fish we all keep. I wish you and your fish the best.

I would recommend getting the bigger tank, making sure it is well cycled and then getting your discus. Discus aren't difficult to keep at all. They just require stable conditions and good water conditions. They do prefer to be in groups. Once you have had the chance to view how they interact in a group, you will be able to see that they are much happier that way. Yes without a doubt, 2 discus or 3 discus can survive in a small tank. That is simply not the ideal situation for them. If you want the fish, you will also want the best for them. You will get attached to your discus, I can guarantee that. They are great fish.

If you do decide after all the advice, to get them in the smaller tank, please make sure the tank is well cycled and stable and do frequent water changes and plan for that larger tank as soon as you are able.

thanks for the advice ppls.
i will wait till i get my new tank and get some discus.
i'm gonna do some research where to get some really rare discus. and post pictures of them.
take care.

Back
Top Bottom