Dither Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so, I've been reading...
I've had other tanks with strange mixes of things. I had a tank with South Americans and Cardinal Tetras, I've had Tiger Barbs in with an adult Jack Dempsey.
I've always held the opinion that a tank, once set up and stable, will continue relatively trouble free. the issue to my way of thinking is that if they grow together from juveniles, they simply won't consider that they're in with stuff they would normally destroy. add anything later on and the whole thing will go up in flames.
I currently have a couple Mollies in my current Central American tank, and every cichlid simply ignores them. I'm tempted by a mix of Tiger Barbs to give some interest, but I'm not looking for a massacre.
what are the opinions about this?

I have to agree with just about everything you have mentioned.
Obtaining a balanced tank takes a bit of trial and error, as I have done with African cichlid tanks. Both my tanks took some moving fish from one tank to another, adding more fish, removing some more etc till I can say there is "some" peace in the tanks.
South and central American cichlid tanks takes a different approach (from my experience only) as keeping two or more of the same have always been a disaster for me.
I always believe though, cichlids get very big and hungry and any fish that can fit in it's mouth will eventually become food.
I have seen silver dollars make a good addition with some new world cichlids, I don't think there's anything written in stone when it comes to cichlids and what works for you might not work for someone else and can't say how tiger barbs would work in that tank.
Just curious, what cichlids are in that tank and what size?

thanks for your reply.
I currently have:
7 convicts
3 Firemouts
2 Salvini
3 Green Terrors (Andinoacara Rivulatus)
all juveniles
in a 100 gallon tank
I understand, something will have to change, the terrors are going to get pretty big, but I've always loved them. I also never intended to have 7 convicts, but they were free. they've also been hybridized, so not regular convicts. eventually I'll have to decide on the terrors, and let go of some of the convicts.
I posted looking for ideas in another thread and didn't get much response.

here are a few photos:

I think a lot depends on what SA cichlids you have and their specific demeanors. Most of my cichlids don't care about other fish in the tank, but my two Oscar - one Tiger and Albino Tiger - most definitely do. I couldn't begin to tell you the number of fish they've eaten. They're very predatory. My Green Texas can be bad at times too, but generally not to the same degree. If anything, he's more aggressive than predatory.

I've tried numerous species over the past year or so - anything from Tiger Barbs to Red Tiger Loaches to Peacock Bass to various schooling catfish. The only luck I've had is with Silver Dollars and Gourami after much work

whatever I do I need to do it soon, I want everyone in place before anyone gets too big. once they can kill someone, introducing anything they can kill they usually will.
I think I might try the loaches. do I need several, or will they be ok single?

Back
Top Bottom