Is this fungus or something else on my parrot cichid!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreyLightWarrior13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys and gals, my name is hana and to give yous a little background ive been keeping fish since i was about 13years old, turning 22 in a few days :) I guess im an intermediate...My bf bought me a parrot cichlid since April 23, 2013...Im new to keeping cichlids, and hes been ok sine then :)

A few days ago i posted this on yahoo answers and i had no response for about 2-3 days and remembered i should have came here. Recently,I noticed my parrot cichlid aka Red blood parrot cichlid, had a small cotton like thing near its eye on its right side. I thought it was a fungus, and at the time i ran out of medication so i decided to add Ick treatment just in case even though ick doesn't look like that and I added some aquarium salt to help recover wounds to see if it helps. The next day the cotton like fungus was gone and there was a hole with red in it. Then i noticed on the opposite side there were two new of those cotton white stuff near his eye again 0__0. Ive researched and found a disease called hole-in-the head, but it seems like something else like just plain fungus, but im not too sure...

Maybe its poopy water quality and for now im holding him in a 10gallon hospital tank with just sand substrate with a 30gallon filter running. So far it seems to keep happening.

Ive added two photos i took using my high quality camera and I want to by medication but wold i get melafix or similar. Also i was wondering what brand to buy to regulate the PH. Last time i did a quick PH test and it said the water was 7.6 or higher. I was reading some people don't like using Topfin products, and most said to use seachem?

Please help, i hope his life isn't in danger :(...

Link of Picture if attachment doesn't work:
Parrot Cichlid (For Aqarium Advice Site) by kl6 on deviantART

Thanks Guys/Gals <3
Parrot-Cichlid-For-Aqarium-Advice-Site-405082019

Attachments

• Newer 1.jpg
    Newer 1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 885
Hmmm that's weird :l are they eating?
If not there could be many things there could be too much nitrates nitrites and/or ammonia. I personally have blood parrots and I've never seen that before. They could be stressed but they'd be developing back dots in their body and they'll be a light orange. It could be man things if they're not eating. If they're acting normal keep an eye out for any strange behavior and itching. Other then that id google it :) hope this helps!

Could just be a skin irritation, inflammation. Maybe they scratched themselves, or got a little bacterial infection.

In my experience, you can do meds, salt, etc. but the best remedy for anything is maintaining clean healthy water.

You test your water? What are the levels at? For now make sure the qt water is perfect and get some api general cute going in there. Remember to remove carbon from filter. Also don't worry about your ph, it perfectly fine.. unless your cichlids like a higher ph, than consider using crushed coral and Texas holey rock, those pH products can be trouble..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom